Leakage at sediment bulb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Leakage at sediment bulb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Ward on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 02:26 am:

The shutoff valve on my sediment bulb (late 1923) leaks around the handle as I turn it, particularly if I push slightly inward while turning the valve. It stops once released, and seems to seal well once in position either on or off. The spare behaves the same way, and it looks like a characteristic of the valve design - or perhaps I've got it assembled wrong somehow.

Is it realistic to expect the fuel shutoff to stay perfectly clean and dry of gas? I really don't want the garage full of gas fumes all the time, but so far it's been cleaner to leave the fuel on all the time, making the valve rather pointless.

Stan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 02:52 am:

Stan-
I got tired on my sediment bowl always leaking and steenking... I put an in line valve just ahead of the carburetor, and sealed up the leaking sediment bowl valve with some J.B Weld!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 04:38 am:

You need some EZ Turn lubricant.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ezturnlube.php
It will most likely solve your problem. It's available from Lang's too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 07:18 am:

Stan,

Disassemble the valve and rub some bar soap on the taper and reassemble. My bet is that it won't leak. The "goo" that collects where a frequently used soap bar parks works just great.

Very cheap and effective fix - not that EZ Turn isn't effective.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 07:55 am:

Stan, I had the same problem, asked a similar question and did all three things advised above - the soap, EZ lube and now I only turn the gas on and off with an in line valve behind the carb.

What's frustrating is that the EZ lube stays moist making me always wonder, is the moisture around the sediment bulb gas or EZ lube moisture? I believe it is EZ lube b/c of the lack of strong gas odor.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:03 am:

The best way to do it in my mind, is to take the sediment bulb off the car, so you can see whats going on. The EZ lube is great for the final assembly. Make sure there is tension from the spring, and there is a thin flat washer on both sides of the spring. I just rebuilt one last week, and no problems. While you have it off, I would give the whole thing a good soaking in carburetor cleaner, and make sure the junk is out of the filter, and put it back together with a new lead washer.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration