And speaking of perches-

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: And speaking of perches-
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gorslin on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 03:18 pm:

One of the many projects I lined up this summer is to begin serious work on my speedster. I am going to double up on the front radius rods. In order to do this I need to install early front spring perches. Now comes the fun part, I need to extract the existing perches from the axle. I have several axles and all have perches, just not the old ones. So far I have soaked, heated, pressed and pounded these to no avail. I've even uttered a couple of words I've only seen on restroom walls.
Is there any reasonably easy way to remove these suckers without buying yet another axle?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

Gary,

I find that if you soak them with penetrating oil and then insert something like an old axle shaft thru the hole you can rotate the perch back and forth. It helps if the axle is clamped to the work bench or in a vice, but you can do it on the floor too. It will wiggle some first, then you can hose it down with penetrant, more wiggling, etc. Once it will turn freely a dead blow hammer will knock it right out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 05:21 pm:

Gary,

Also the knock off rear wheel pullers are the same thread and can be used to help pursuade the spring perch. See Lang's part # KO2800KO ($3.95 in the older 2006 catalog).

There are also a couple of good forum threads in the past on this. You might want to also try the "search" feature and see if they have some things you may want to consider.

Respectfully,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Frink on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 09:03 pm:

Set it up in a hydraulic press, put a little pressure on it, and heat the boss with a rosebud or large cutting tip. When it moves, pump like crazy before it cools and shrinks.
Bob

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration