Proper Fan Belt Size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Proper Fan Belt Size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clint Wessels on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:34 am:

Hello: I have a '27 touring and I just measured for a new belt. I used two methods, first I used a string around the pulleys, second I used a fabric measuring tape, both instances I got 33 and 3/8". I have only found two belts that I can purchase that are close to that size, but not the excact size. Which belt should I try, the 33 and 1/8" or the 33 3/4". I;m thinking the 33 and 3/4" is going to be too big once tightened down. Can some of you help me out please. oh, also I have read that you have to loosen the pulley first to get the smallest distance between the two pulleys, however on my '27 touring I'm not able to adjust or lossen anything (possible someone installed a incorrect fan pulley at some point?)

Thx,

Clint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 06:35 am:

Clint,

I just put a leather 33 1/8 belt on my 27 tudor. It fit fine with room for adjustment. Remember, run it looser than you would a modern car's fan belt. Too tight and it will ruin the bushings in the fan hub and "walk" off the lower pulley. Don't ask me how I know:-)

As far as not being able to adjust the fan hub...I would say that the hub carrier is "frozen" because of being in one position for a time. You may have to take off the mounting and free up the hub carrier.

Good Luck!
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian c lawrence on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 07:09 am:

Clint,

I have a 27 Fordor and wanted to use a leather fan belt cause they look so cool. I measured the size with a string and came up with 31 I checked it about a dozen times. So I ordereed a belt and it was way too short. The original leather fan belt that I took off broke and it measured 33and 1/2 . So now I had a 31" belt that I could not return (it got greasy, imagine that). My local Napa guy found me a belt (rubber) Micro v #060325. It is 13/16" x 331/4" and it works fine. When I order the next one it will be leather, and I think I'll go with the 331/8". Sounds like the above post went with 33 and 1/8" and it works well. PLEASE let me know what you find out!

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 11:12 am:

Clint,

I have a new one hanging on a chair in the kitchen. It's a Neoprene/polyester I bought as a spare at Chaffin's when picking up tires. Have one on the car now & like it. It's marked 32 x 1.12. Ford never used a leather belt.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john curry on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

clint, i had a water pump and did the tailors tape method. same way i measured when i took the water pump off. both times i measured, i bought belts for that length and they were both a bit on the large size. i would suggest the smaller size, to start with. then you can make any corrections needed. you may have an extra belt, i have three extras now, but i have not had any belt problems so far once i got the right length. also i have the spares and maybe able to help someone else with them someday!! john

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:17 pm:

Before you install the new belt, measure it! A few years ago I ordered one to the measurement around the pulleys, and when it arrived it was stamped the length I ordered, but it was too short. It seems that the manufacturer had measured the distance from one end to the other before gluing it together! You want the belt to measure the correct length after it is manufactured. I got that belt from Langs and they exchanged it for one the right size, no problem. I even got a bit of grease on it, but it would not fit. I even removed the radiator to get a better angle to work, but the belt was just too short.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Knox on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:29 am:

Good morning folks,
Just read some posts related to the leather fan belts used on older Ford products. My game for the last several years has been custom making Leather Drive Belts for old machinery. Over the years I have supplied leather belts for many makes of automobiles & trucks made in the late teens thru into the early thirties. It was common for the Ford belts to be made with a row of stitching along both sides of the belt. I do not do this but I'm in contact with an outfit that has the equipment to do the stitching for me. Additional information may be found on my "very unfancy" web site <www.leatherdrivebelts.com> Many thanks for allowing me to post on this web site.
Regards, John

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration