Model T Jacks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T Jacks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:50 pm:

Anyone know much about Model T jacks? There is a link showing the Model T jacks being labeled with the number T17080. The catalogs list them as T3389. The ones on ebay are marked T3390. Anyone care to clarify the details of the jacks over the years? Were they not offered with cars prior to 1917?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:48 am:

None of the jacks that I found on e-bay were Model T jacks.

Here is a photo of the later style jacks. The first one is a 1928 Ford jack. The middle one is a 1926-27 Ford Jack. The last one is a 1925 Ford jack. Note that the first one has a hole in the flip top and the last one has no flip top. That appear to be the only difference. These jacks were manufactured by several companies, so the name on them are different.

Jacks

1928 1926-1927 1925

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:52 am:

It was my assumption that the earlier style jacks that would have been provided were the screw style jack.....
http://www.mafca.com/jacksT.html
...of course the part number they list there seems all wrong....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:21 am:

The two companies I know of that made jacks for Ford in 1925 are Ajax, and Walker. Apparently no information exists in the archives on them, so it is impossible to determine the exact height, but I've done some ratio problems, and I've come up with 10", which is the same as the old screw jack. Next, you have to throw in some logic. The 10" jack will work if you have a flat tire with 30X3 1/2 tires, but I'm not so sure if it will work with a flat with 21" tires. That could be the reason they have the flip top jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 02:29 pm:

Again Rick,

I am with you on this... I have 2 screw type jacks for the car but the numbers are all wrong even with my books?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:10 pm:

May I suggest that the flip-top jack for 1926 was needed because of the re-located front stub axles. These were moved nearer the top of the spindle so the axle is lower and you need a shorter jack. At the rear, the axle remained halfway up the wheel! So, as the picture seems to show, the 1925 jack is similar in height to the 26 with the flip top flipped up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:26 pm:

What jack would have come with a 1926 runabout? I thought it was the screw type - am I wrong?

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

I'm not an expert, but the one I photographed in the center came with a 1926 Ford Roadster fire chief's car that had about 5,000 original miles on it. I assume it was the orignal from what I have read and discussed with other tool collectors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:37 am:

I just saw a Ford jack with block letters on eBay, advertised as a 09-12 model T jack:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-1909-1910-MODEL-T-FORD-CAR-JACK_W0QQitem Z160292254272QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160292254272

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:09 am:

I hope it what the seller says it is for the sake of the buyer. It sold for $338.00. The list of tools in MTFCA Encyclopedia for 1909-13 tool kit does not include a jack. However the list on the Form 380, for May 1914 does include a jack and a handle. I notice that this jack does require a handle.

1909Jack2
Form380

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:23 am:

Again, I am surprise no one has cleared up which jacks were available at what time and with what cars? Seems most of the car jacks were the Ford script jacks with the handle incorporated into the jack, where as the jacks included with the TTs had a separate handle. The one pictured above is new to me, but then again, I've only been looking at this stuff for about a month :-) It would be nice if someone clarified what came with what and when through.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:32 am:

I have a jack with the Ford in block letters. It is made by the Buckeye Manufacturing Co. I just don't know if this is the one shown in the above list or not. I sure hope so. If I was able to visit the Benson Ford archives, I would be there often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 03:35 pm:

Does any early parts list show any jack or part number before 1920? I bought Bruce McCalley's new CD with all the information, but have not found an early Jack or a Part Number for an early jack. Considering those two CDs have about as much information as a 26 volume encyclopedia set, I have not been able to read every page yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 03:26 pm:

My favorite jack, the one I carry in my car, is similar to the one pictured above but without the Ford name on it. It works really well.

jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hager on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 06:30 pm:

What is the correct jack that was issued with an 1914?

Mike Hager
Clintin, Il.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

When we got our '26 Touring, it had a jack with it that was probably, but not definitively, the original jack that came with the car. It looked like the one in the picture on the far right, without the flip-top. There was a nice brass nameplate on the jack for the Ajax Company which I've not seen on any other jacks. Our car has some early '26 features on it, so its possible it was a '25 jack that they simply used up on the early '26s.

Unfortunately, the jack was in a tool display box that was stolen out of my Dad's garage 3 years ago in Denver. I've re-assembled the tool kit, except for the jack with that nice brass name plate on it. I keep watching the Model T tools on ebay thinking somebody is going to try and sell that tool display someday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 06:02 pm:

What do you folks think the chances are that the "Jack With Handle" as listed on the May 1914 slip was the Buckeye jack with the block letter Ford inscription ?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration