Model T Jack Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T Jack Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:23 pm:

Did the 1916 Model T tools that Ford supplied include a jack? All the tools that came with a 1916 Model T appear to be a T1349 Hub Cap Wrench, T1387 Adjustable Wrench, T1902 Screwdriver, T1903 Pliers, T1917 Double End Wrench, T2335 Spark Plug and Cylinder Head Wrench, T2336 Tool Roll, T2337 Oil Can, T2338 Single Barrel Tire Pump, and T2340 Two Tire Irons. The 1917 tools that were supplied were the same as 1916, except for a T2343 Jack that was added. Then a T2344 Jack Handle was added in late 1925. What jack was used before the T2343 jack was added? What was used for a jack handle in 1917?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:22 pm:

Back to the top: Inquiring minds want to know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

Anyone? Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 06:36 pm:

I have not found out either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 08:27 pm:

In my OPINION the tools indeed would have included a jack since they officially added that to the list of equipment that would be supplied starting in 1913. For that fact there is absolute proof. I have not seen any communication or other change after that which would suggest that they discontinued it. Clearly when they DID discontinue something, it was pretty well documented (for instance the speedo).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hager on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

I will ask again, What is the correct jack and handle for a 1914? Picture?

Mike Hager
Clinton, Il

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

Mike:

You can ask forever but I am not sure anybody has the data as to exactly WHAT the jack was that was mentioned in the letter from Ford to its dealers. It only stated that for 1913 Ford intended to provide a JACK and a TOP BOOT (for open cars). Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:36 pm:

One popular and common jack has Ford cast on the handle and the handle permanently attached to the jack, with a ratched to reverse directions, but no other information or part number any place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:55 am:

Where does the Buckeye jack with the block letter FORD and the separate handle fit into this picture? Earlier "alphabet" Fords? Early T's? Both? Neither?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:26 pm:

I would like to think that the Buckeye jack is the one they supplied in 1913, but as John says there is no proof. Also, for 1916 I believe the 1917 band wrench is the second design, with a fat end on one end, and the newer end on the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:25 pm:

James,

If you look on page 266 of Bruce McCalley's book "Model T Ford" you will see a jack that appears similar to the one James described with the handle attached. Not enough detail in the book to know if it does or does not have Ford on it some place. As several suppliers probably produced them, there could easily be some variation. The tool roll and tools were shown on page 261. Those pictures are from the Rip Van Winkle Jun 1917 Model T touring. While not from the 1916 you are looking for they might provide some clues. It was interesting that Bruce did not include the jack in the photo with the tools. But instead it was seen in the photo of the back seat floor mat.

Have you written/contacted either of the clubs technical editors? They don't necessarily read all the forum entries but they might be able to give you an answer or help provide a lead. Additionally if they print it in the magazine, there are a lot of folks that read the magazine that do not post on computers.

And of course you could also request assistance from the Benson Ford archives. While not free when they do the searching -- it would be one option for folks like us that live a little too far to stop by easily. And compared to the cost of a trip it can often times be a bargain. I don't have access to a CD drive at the moment (the other computer is in the shop). On page 595 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford" he has the May 1917 Price List of Parts at the first one he found the jack listed in. The factory number 3389 that is listed for that part might provide some additional clues. I.e. to ask the Benson Ford Archives for copies of drawings and change cards for the factory number 3387 jack and any other jack before 1917. It isn't a "for sure thing" but it might lead to additional clues. Also, there was a 1907 Ford autorized accessory booklet which might give some clues from the Pre-T days. Any jack designed for the Model N, R, S, or SR could easily work with a Model T also. Some T parts are exactly the same as the NRS & SR such as the front wheel bearings and front spring. And the Canadian Price list of parts may provide leads. When the computer returns, I will try to look for additional information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 10:54 am:

Just a reminder from a previous thread-"documentation" that jack and handle supplied in 1914.1914 tool list

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration