26 Roadster Blue?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 26 Roadster Blue?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 03:18 pm:

I recently bought a barn fresh 26 Roadster which was repainted, rather poorly, black. Upon dissembling there is a "robins egg" blue paint under the black and a good brand of paint remover barely touches it. Could this be one that Henry sent out of his plant w/blue body?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

No.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:11 pm:

Jerry - wow - thanks for all the information, rather short but I guess to the point

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:48 pm:

I saw a funny blue color T at the Hershey Model T event. The owner said it was York Air Conditioning blue. The former owner worked for the York co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 06:02 pm:

Don,the other side of this is,it is your car,paint it whatever you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 07:58 pm:

When I painted my car, the paint store had a paint chip of what was perported to be Gunmetal Blue. It was so ugly, I decided to go with Phoenix Brown. The blue he showed me looked like a faded black with oxidation. I don't know if this was how the original looked or not.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 04:05 pm:

Jack: I was not thinking about painting my car blue, I was just quizzical as to whether the blue I am uncovering, even inside the chambers of the doors, was a factory paint job. Of course I will paint it the color of my choice, right now I am thinking of a tartan plaid for the body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 05:20 pm:

Don, if the body originally was 1927, then it may have been painted gunmetal blue originally.
Please post some detailed photos - there are some subtle differences between early & late production of the improved (1926/27) cars.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1926-27H.htm
"Further study seems to indicate that the open cars were all black until late 1926 when black was dropped in favor of the Gunmetal Blue and the Phoenix Brown options."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 08:29 pm:

Don,for what it's worth,I found a similer blue undercoat on a 14 windshiels frame recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 09:05 pm:

Here is a blue I mixed up myself.I used a quart of Valspar Regul Blue from Tractor supply and a pint of Rustoleum gloss black.Both oil base paints.I applyed them to these 4 wheels with a very fine brush and they turned out perfectly as I wanted.A very close match to a factory 47 pontiac blue that was used on the cars.The red is a Fixal color

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

Don,

Try this, they may send you some paint chips.

http://www.modeltcolor.com/

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 03:56 am:

I remembered this thread and went looking for the modeltcolor.com website tonight. It now says Closed.

Are there any other websites that show Ford colors online?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 06:44 pm:

York Airconditioning Co. Blue car at Hershey T show.blue t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:23 pm:

Naturally, computer monitors will skew colors & tints but I had a gallon mixed of Gunmetal Blue that is spot-on as far as the chips go and when we did a spray out, it is a gorgeous color. It changes when light hits it (garage vs. sunlight vs cloudy day) which really adds excitement. Not many black ones can boast that feat!

Below is a picture of the MTFCI President's Roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

Don,I had to do a Google of Tartan Plaid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan
I learned a few things like,
The world's first colour photograph, made by the Scottish scientist James Clerk Maxwell in 1861, was of a tartan ribbon.[18]

I have 1 request.Can you do a Tech artical on how you achieve that finish on a car? It would be different that is for sure.

Now to google kilts to see just why a fellow wants to wear a mini skirt!:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

I have posted this before, but this vendor sells PPG and other 'less expensive' paints. http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/ford1927.html
I have never dealt with this vendor before, so I cannot vouch for him. I will say that my local PPG jobber cannot get some of these early formulas. Not because they are lazy. I have talked directly to PPG myself, specifically looking for the Gunmetal Blue. Our touring car is painted Model A Niagara Blue (the color number is listed as an alternative on many of the Model T 'official' color lists). It is generally used as a trim color on the Model A, but also makes a pretty Model T color.

Brent, was your Gunmetal Blue a current PPG formula? If so, what was it?

Ron Dupree

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration