Sheetmetal Repair Panel Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Sheetmetal Repair Panel Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fudge on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 09:34 pm:

I am working on a 26 T Touring and will be buying some sheetmetal repair panels to weld in. I have catalogs from Lang's, Howells, and Snyders listing what appears to be the same repair panels. My question is: "Are the panels offered at these vendors all made by the same manufacturer and of the same quality? Or, are there different manufacturers and any differences in the quality of fit?"
Perhaps someone will know the answer and have some experience he (or she) is willing to share. Thanks for all replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 11:10 pm:

As far as I know all come from HOWELL's sheet metal Ryan@fordor.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Jensen on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:33 am:

I have checked they all come from Howells Sheet Metal. Ordered some parts July 7th 2008 just got them today! When first ordered I was told it would take about a week, called in three to see whats up.Ryan gave me bogus tracking numbers, promised to ship every day for the past 30 days, Told Stories.As confirmed with Langs, they have had the same experience.. Bogus Tracking numbers and stories. I guess if you are the only one making specialty parts you do as you please. I have told Ryan just how disappointing it is to be continuously misinformed. I have not told him that having to wait this long and getting rusty parts make me think that I will find another source next time.
Barry
'26 Roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:27 am:

When I first started carrying SOME of there parts, I worked with the fellow who actually started it, he was upfront, and mostly on time, but he sold it out to a nephew Ryan, who has lots of problems getting parts out the door, and they just recently moved to another location, which I'm sure puts orders behind, luckily I carry in stock most of what I sell , its just the odd, or large pcs, I don't

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DaGunny on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

There are two sources. Howell's and the guy in Sweden. I just got some side panel repair panels for my 23 Touring. They take a few weeks but the fit is nice.These stretch just forward from the rear door to the front. $50. We built a set for my wife's roadster at Brent Terry's sheet metal clinic and a LOT of work was put into them. Howell's didn't produce them then. They do now. If you think you are going to need them, get them while they are available. I have no financial ties with them. They just make a good product and I have used a lot of their items. Makes life easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pete on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

Howells is famous for crappy customer service. Complaints like yours have been aired for years now on all the different car forums. They are the only game in town, so they could care less if you are unhappy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 07:20 pm:

So how does one get in contact with the Swedish vendor, and does he have a catalog????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 01:04 am:

There's a lot of shops that can make the panels. Some have patterns some don't but if you take or send the piece you need in, it can usually be duplicated. I run a small restoration shop that can duplicate most any auto panel or part and I know there's others that can make parts. Someone should make a list and post the names of those willing to make parts outside of their normal customer base. There's quite a few metal shapers out there that can do a great job. Some may be near you.

I know Brent Terry can make parts. There's also Pete's Metal Fab in Washington, Randy Ferguson in Illinois, Richard Crees in Iowa, Bailie Customs in Windsor Ontario, Gordon Bartlett in Texas and the list goes on and on.

This isn't meant to be an advertisement. It just shows that there's other options out there that few know about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DaGunny on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 05:09 am:

Talk with Donny Lang about the Swedish guy. He built the T-100 bodies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ryanISaLIAR on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:14 am:

Ryan at Howell's sheet metal is the biggest liar on the planet. but, he is nice about it... but a BIG LIAR!!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration