Rebuild coil help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Rebuild coil help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:10 pm:

Hey all, I have a 15 roadster that I'm restoring. I finally came to the point where I would like to install the coils. I have four coils marked with 1960 something. Is there anyone who can rebuild them or should I just buys new ones? How much does it even cost to rebuild old coils? Thanks Leo...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

Leo
I am not sure how original you want this 1915 Model T? The 1915 Model T would have originally had metal top coils similar to the ones in this photo.
Circa 1915 Model T Ignition Coil
Any Model T coil made after 1914 will fit and work in any Model T car up to the end of production in 1927.
The coils you have marked 1960 are after market coils made by a forerunner of the original KW Ignition Co. and can be easily rebuilt to operate correctly. The cost to rebuild your KW coils runs from $20 to $40 depending upon who is doing the work
Just a word of caution if your buying "new" coils. There are several manufacturers coils being sold by Model T parts suppliers and some coils are clearly not very well made or work well.
You are welcome to contact me for advise on which type new coils you should purchase.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:46 pm:

Those coils are beautiful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 07:43 pm:

Ron your starter was superb If I send i coils that are rebuildable do they look anywhere near this nice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Martin on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:40 pm:

I got a set of coils from Ron last year, They looked great. Installed them, and haven't had to look at them since. I have put about 2500 miles on the '22 touring this summer with no breakdowns!
Hope next season is as trouble free. Ron will be suppling a set of coils for the '24 C Cab I am working on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:40 pm:

I sent 4 coils from my "new" coupe to Ron. They had been painted with several coats of black paint. Ron not only didn't make them look as pretty as the ones above, but he commented that they were the ugliest coils he'd ever seen! When I asked him why he didn't pretty them up, he made some comment like "I'm an electrician, not a carpenter". I was horribly disappointed! If it weren't for his exceptionally fine workmanship, I'd quit using him. :-)
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass_Police on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

Mr. Patterson,

As Chief Constable of the Brass Police, It is my duty to inform you of your most grievous infraction of Brass Law. You have painted the innocent brass tops on model T coils for some time now in the name of “Alleged Correctness”. This infraction has not gone unnoticed.

If this practice does not cease your Model T will be confiscated and your radiator, sidelights and headlights converted to Brass. You will then be sentenced to a lifetime of polishing and maintaining brass.

P. O. Lish
Captain, Brass Police

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:09 pm:

I thought "Brass Top" coils looked like this.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:42 am:

Hey can I post MINE too?? I assume this is POST YOUR COILS day - ho ho ho.

Brass top coils

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:53 am:

I have seen "brass top" coils that looked like they were bare yellow brass, some that looked like bare "red" brass, or copper looking, and some that are black. The black was seemed to be some kind of parkerizing (not painted) type of finish. It was not shiny.

-Keith

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration