Can You Identify this Oil Pump?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Can You Identify this Oil Pump?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

This oil pump was mounted to a standard Ford timing cover using a homemade bracket on the sprint car I'm restoring. Anyone know what it was orginally from? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 08:02 pm:

Can you post a picture of how it relates to the timming cover? AKA a pic of the cover and spacers...and or bracketry. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

Joe
My guess is Continental. I think the "L226" is a Continental engine model

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:22 pm:

Thanks for the replies. As far as the bracket on the cover it was poorly made, and for some reason or another it hit the garbage, but I kept the pump.

Also as I understand it the L226 was a Jeep model that used the Continental engine?

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 04:59 pm:

Kaiser and other 6 cylinder cars used a 226 Continental flathead 6.
Jeeps with a 6 were more like 150 c.i.d. Same engine as the 6 in a Henry J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 05:48 pm:

Anyway it looks like it might be a interesting choice for a oil pump for a T. It would appear that the inlet is on one face and the discharge on the other. By the looks of it both holes are the same size so likely it wouldn't make a lot of difference. I see on the Kanter web site that pump MIGHT cost only $75.00 ( I see there is a earlier version where only a rebuild kit is available at $135.00).
Any way looks like it is worth checking out. The one you have might be reuseable with a good clean and maybe lap the side covers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 07:20 pm:

Les I think you may have looked at the wrong column in the Kanter catalog? The $75 pump and $135 rebuild kit are for the Henry J? It appears in their catalog that the 226 was used in the 1946-55 Kaiser Frazer. There is only a rebuild kit available. Thanks for all the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 08:14 pm:

Joe
well maybe but the implication was the 226 was used till 1966 (but it might have a different pump)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 08:43 pm:

Les, thanks for the help, now the quest!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:47 pm:

How about a 1930 Model L Lincoln?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 08:58 pm:

Joe
Nice looking engine. That engine turning is a nice touch on the front cover. Looks like a '28 Chevy engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:18 pm:

It is a 28 Chevy, not mine, but in the description the oil pump was described as a 1930 Lincoln. I got excited because it looks the same as the one I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:19 pm:

"L" Lincoln oil pump would be my best guess. Sorry, I don't have one here now, and it has been years since we worked on any of those engines.

Here is a scan of a poor copy of the Lincoln Service Bulletin.

L Lincoln - 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

not my engine, yes its' a 28 Chevy. In the description of the motor the oil pump was described as a 1930 Lincoln Model L. I got excited because it looks like the one I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:39 pm:

As an aside, the "L" Lincoln oil pressure regulator was a somewhat popular addition the hotties used on their modified T engines. This one is on Wes Clover's Fronty.

engine9

While rummaging through some old stuff, I found one in the collection.

L Lincoln -3

L Lincoln -4

Link for an upload of the Lincoln Service Bulletin regarding the oil pressure regulator.

L Lincoln oil pressure regulator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 09:50 pm:

Phil, thanks.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration