Winter wonder land

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Winter wonder land
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:28 pm:

In 24hrs it has snowed 20" in Spokane, I was the only one to make it work this morning. I'm here @ Antique Auto with not much to do... We just converted Tom's Model T to a livingood 4WD I wonder if he'll pay me to do a test run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:48 pm:

Do it, then post some pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:57 pm:

Greg, if he's the only one there and he's doing the test run, who's going to take the pics? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

I just got off the phone with a friend who lives in Chewelah WA. He told me that in the last 24 hours there had been over 200 auto accidents between Spokane and Coeur D Alene ID.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 05:39 pm:

Got 1917X out and I'm hoping the video turned out. I pushed snow up to the mid radiator and it still kept going forward. This is what the Livingood was designed for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 01:53 pm:

The record was smashed, In 24 hrs the most it had ever snowed was 17" Officially in Spokane and Records have been kept since the late 1880's. Yesterday Officially it snowed 23.6" in a 24hr peroid. At my house I got closer to 30". I love the Northwest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 02:27 pm:

Looks like that damned global warming is probably to blame. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

Jerry, global warming doesn't mean everything gets warmer. It causes an increase in global temperatures, with an increase in melting of the polar ice caps and glaciers, a rise in ocean levels, and alteration of oceanic currents that cause a change in climate patterns. Some areas will be colder, some warmer, some with more rain/snowfall, others with drought.
On a "T" note, I crank started the '26 a few days ago at -7 degrees. 3 quarter pulls with the choke out, turned to battery, throttle 1/3 down. Openned the carb. 1/4 turn, 1 pull fired it off!
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

It's even cold here in California. Most of North America has been colder than usual this season. Unfortunately, the global warming liars will take credit for things cooling off. That's vainity and Hautiness and Arrogance.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

It's a La Niña effect, well documented. Global warming's one level up from that, none of which has to do with Model T's. It's snowing in Portland right now too, so Keith, where'd you get those tire chains? I'd sure like to get out this weekend. - Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 04:40 pm:

A year ago August I read in the Portland Oregonian that the increased melting of the Greenland ice cap would bring more severe weather to the Pacific Northwest. The storms last winter and this are mere coincidence, of course.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 05:17 pm:

Wouldn't doubt it, but climate and weather are two substantially different things. Seriously though (trying to stay on topic), if anyone knows where to get chains for our tall, skinny tires, I'd like to know. Both of my cars have 4.75-21 tires, and the guy at Les Schwab just chuckled. Google search didn't help much either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 05:28 pm:

Many years ago on a forum far away, there was a discussion of chains and someone posted a part number for something WalMart carried that worked on a T. I don't remember which forum it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:20 pm:

Bruce, if it wasn't about 12 below, wind blowing and snowing, I'd go out in my storage shed and see if the chains are still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:35 pm:

The chains I have I created about 25 years ago by modifying a modern set. Here is a picture from the other day. I'm really loking forward to figuring out my side curtains!

The chains mentioned previously mentioned were posted by Jim Patterson back in 2004. They were some that Bill Mullens got from Wally World. They were Peerless 0175355. They are actually a cable chain.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:59 pm:

Here is the link to Tom and I driving his Livingood 4WD, It was alot more fun than it looked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHoUKq0sC8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 08:10 pm:

I had a set that would fit 6.00x16 made for a 1930's or 1940's car. I modified them to fit a Model A. I'm sure the same could be made to fit a T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

Original Weed chains on 1921 coupe
Here is a picture of my original 21 coupe with a set of Weed chains on the 30x 3 1/2 tires. The chains were a set of NOS Weed chains taken out of the original burlap bag just before this picture was taken. With heavy wet snow a Model T has a lot of difficulty getting through the drifts. With the chains there is no problem, although I could never outdo the guys from Spokane this morning.
If I needed to start my T today here in Calgary I would need a lot of coals under the car to get it going. It is close to minus 30 C with a 40 below windchill (that is 40 below C or F)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

Here is a photo of the car from the rear with driver. You can see chains on both wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 10:48 pm:

Looks like just as much fun as blasting through 4' snowdrifts with a snowmobile kit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 12:12 am:

For you, Dr. Noel:

It's winter in South Dakota,
And the gentle breezes blow,
Seventy miles an hour,
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love South Dakota,
When the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter,
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave South Dakota,
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 02:26 pm:

Thanks, Keith. I'd thought about modifying a modern set. Looks like that's the way to go. If this weather keeps up, you'll really need those side curtains. This time of year, I'm liking those sedans I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 02:48 pm:

Went and watched all the fun, I emailed the video link to almost everyone in my address book. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dom Denio on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:36 pm:

Dick,

The information I have for the Walmart chains is Peerless cable chains part # 0175355.

Best of luck,
Dom Denio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

Thanks, Ricks. This is one of the few days I really don't feel like going outside. There's peanut brittle to make, an engine to pull and replace the bands, align the tranny, and get ready for nicer weather. We have Canadian Geese here all winter since a small warm spring fed lake in town never freezes. There are deer and turkey along the river, and ice fishing for walleye and pike. You can always discuss politics with anyone since this IS the capital city. I lived in Daytona for 3 months, Oklahoma for 4 years, and been to all but about 5 states. This is still home.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:49 pm:

we got 10 inches yesterday in upstate NY and while the roads were all covered and the plows weren't keeping up i took the T snowmobile out for a run. she did great! we got and other 10 to 12 comming tommorow so i plan on another ride, this time with the camara.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 04:33 pm:

Mike, can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing you and Tom driving around in the snow in front of the shop. Admittedly I'm a wus sitting here in Ajo, Arizona watching you guys play in the snow but at 75 yrs I guess thats OK. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again next summer and getting my Fordor on the road. Hearing old '17's engine running was a special treat. Nothing like the sound of a good running T.
MERRY XMAS TO ALL IN THE INLAND NW CLUB!!!

Bill Rigdon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brett Larson on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 04:48 pm:

Mike, that video of you and Tom driving around the 4wd T is one of the coolest things I have seen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 05:56 pm:

Speaking of tire chains, this is my Mom in one of the suicide door Coupes with I think the pull up windows ? You can see the tire chains on the rear wheel, she was adept at doing all of this, the chains were for mud, not snow, look at the knickers ! Anybody guess at the year of the car ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 07:41 pm:

That's one tiny woman. Look at how high the wheel comes up on her.

Hmm, my T era mother was only 5' tall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 08:11 pm:

The car is a 1922 or very early '23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

Winter here in NZ too - here is Albert out in the weather:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:40 pm:

I guess I lucked out. I bought a set of 30X3 1/2 tire chains at a swap meet about 10 years ago. I don't think they have ever been out of the burlap bag! I didn't pay much for them either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:55 am:

Ralph, my grandmother was 5' tall and if my grandfather wanted to annoy her, he would say that she was 4'11". My mom made it all the way to about 5'2", I think, but toward the end of her life was probably down to 5' even.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

You can buy two 25 foot lengths of rope and wrap the tires through the spokes round and round. The rope goes at an angle and that is just fine. You don't need chains the ropes will do. But, don't drive on dry pavement too much with them or they will unravel. Sorry I don't have a picture of it as I have only done it once and it worked very well.

The picture was taken yesterday and is of our home in the warm sunny Southern California mountains at 7000 feet. It is of a path cut in the snow to the wood pile from the klitchen. That's four and a half feet of snow from three days of it. Global warming indeed.

big bear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:11 pm:

Yes, Mama was pretty small, my Wife is barely 4'11", and both Grandmothers were tiny. My Wife never broke 100# even when pregnant, and I am sure none of the others did either. They were tough people though, had to be. My Dad and a twin Brother were born out of a wagon, a Model T would have been luxurious in comparison, Grandma went on to have four boys and probably weighed 70 or so when she died, had two dresses and we buried her in one of them, long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:24 pm:

Frank, that reminds me of pictures I saw in 1953 that showed winter in Chester, just south of Mount Lassen. Some paths like that were eight to ten feet deep. And some people think it doesn't snow in California.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom_carnegie on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:46 pm:

Bill, good to hear from you! Sorry that you missed all the excitement of the big snowfall.

I'm looking forward to seeing you buzzing around in that 4 door.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:02 am:

I watched a great interview the other night on CNN's Lou Dobbs program about the ridiculous global warming hype that has taken over the demoncratic party. My favorite quote :

"If we go back really, in recorded human history, in the 13th Century, we were probably 7 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than we are now and it was a very prosperous time for mankind,” Lehr said. “If go back to the Revolutionary War 300 years ago, it was very, very cold. We’ve been warming out of that cold spell from the Revolutionary War period and now we’re back into a cooling cycle".

Here's a synopsis:

http://businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20081218205953.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:16 am:

Royce, those two cases were localized. We don't know what was going on globally then. . The year without a summer, 1822, IIRC, is a curiosity more than a trend.

There is a theory that melting of the Greenland ice will disrupt the gulf stream, putting western Europe into severe cold. And the Greenland ice is melting faster than predicted.

The Portage Glacier Visitor Center is about 50 miles south of Anchorage. It was built at the foot of the glacier. . Now, you can barely see the glacier in the distance from that same visitor center. At the present rate, all the glacier will be gone from Glacier Natl Park in about 20 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 10:28 am:

The glacier goes away from Glacier park regularly on a geologic calendar. Similarly, glaciers sometimes cover most of North America and Europe. The pseudo scientists chose to ignore history when arguing to tax the living daylights out of all of us.

You just have to laugh when Al Gore flies his Gulfstream II to Europe to pick up his Nobel prize for raising awareness of global warming. Or how about flying his GII to Burbank, take a chauffer driven Escalade to a Hollywood limousine holding lot and jump into a Prius for his grand entrance to accept the Oscar.

Gore has single handedly caused all other hypocrites to seem insignificant in scale and pomposity. He gets richer , we get taxed. Any resemblance between what that thief says and the truth about the environment is purely coincidental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 01:57 pm:

Well all I can say is we are quite glad for this really cold winter. If the experts are right it should finally halt the pine beetle spread.
Another thing I have noticed in the last few years is that Mexico is getting a LOT more rain which is greatly increasing there agricultural production. As the climate changes are being caused by solar activity lets learn to adapt. So far I am seeing more benefits than problems occurring. Decimating the worlds economy is going to impair the worlds ability to adapt Change has always been a part of life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

Les you forgot to mention the wasted electricity for the daily broadcasted media hype and the trees that were killed in order to tell us that the sky is falling and the Ozone will kill us when it comes.

Long live the endangered Bark Beetle because it makes fire wood at my mountain house come cheaper with the abundance of ready carbon based fuel. By the way I have three fire places at the mountain place and yes they made me install platinum based catalitic converters on all three of them to stop this global warming that is making the season festive. snow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:57 pm:

At least, Frank, those cats should stop sparks from torching your shake shingles.

We have 3 fireplaces in our old house, and never heard of a cat converter for a fireplace before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 03:56 pm:

The catalytic converters are installed just above the fire boxes about two feet above the flames. I have the written explanation and inspection forms that must be updated when ever a house is sold in the mountain city of Big Bear Lake.

Yes the global warming cooks are there too. We are going to have an HCCA tour to Big Bear Lake next October and Mary and I are the tour charpersons . . . .read that as tour chairmen if you can remember back before political correctness came to be. That is the gender equity rule for naming non-sex or non-gender positions. Note that our government does not comply with its own regulations because the FAA writes NOTAMS and that reads as notes to airmen. Girls are airmen when they fly. So much for the p c.

Anyway, Mary and I were looking for a field to park the 50 tow vehicles and trailers that will be sure to attend our event and we found that we could no longer use the field that we parked in ten years ago because of endangered species.

Here is the quote from the Big Bear City Council minutes: Jonathan Nourok, Big Bear City: stated that he represents the Big Bear Valley Democratic Club and the Sierra Club. He discussed the proposed alternatives to the Hilton Hotel project, described in the report, and stated that it is absurd to say that the development should proceed in order to save the environment from subsequent development, because the proposed alternative sites do not contain wetlands, endangered species and plants, and do not block the view of the existing homeowners.

The Democratic Club and The Sierra Club have cause all temporary land use to require permits issued by the City and the proper fees paid. Only after the clerk checks the official City map which is color coded to show each endangered area may any private or public land be used on a temporary or permanent basis.

Ten years ago we simply parked on a vacant lot but now that lot is off limits for any use even though it is privately owned. The owners must keep it and pay taxes on it but may not use it or sell it. They can not even plow under the weeds which cause a fire hazard and the fire department has no control over it either. The crazy people are running the insane asylum. It seams that that weed is the endangered plant and even though it burns at very high temperatures and covers ground quickly, it is protected because that particular weed only grows in the Big Bear Valley.

Hooray for the Democratic Club and the Sierra Club I am glad they have important civic work to do. Because of them we must rent a parking lot seven miles from the hotel and shuttle people back when ever they need to get something from their tow vehicle or trailer. The Sierra Club apparently does not care that we are burning carbon based fuel to save their endangered weeds.

!field

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 04:02 pm:

Mike: Is that an old Livingood kit or a new one? How hard to install? Do you have contact info for Livingood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 06:48 pm:

The Livingood kit in 1917X is a new one. I can't say how hard it will be for you, but for me and the Tuesday night crew it was a two evening job. Some parts needed to be supplied: good u-joints. Jesse mentioned he does 1-2 a year, Infact he told me he has made more T 4wds than his dad. He also mentioned that he only knows of 3 orignals, only one of them he owns. I do have his contact info, and If you'd like it I'd have to check with him first before I give it out. If you're interested please private message me. Also the install does require some hole drilling in the frame :-( and a E-brake rod modification, We aren't using a warford but if it had one, 1917X could climb a tree.

This is the the artical that got us wanting a Livingood 4wd. http://www.fourwheeler.com/featuredvehicles/129_0510_1921_ford_model_t_4x4/index .html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 07:04 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/43906.html?1199070530
This is a thread that discussed where to get a livingood 4wd, It looks like there was Vintage Ford issue also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:10 pm:

We have had about a foot of snow here in Gresham over the past couple of days. More snow than the past 40+ years. Makes it kind of hard to get out of the driveway. I had to do a little shoveling.

We had a grand time puttering down the road past all the people stuck off to the sides...

When we got home I had Spencer stand on one runningboard just ahead of the rear fender, and Yvonne stand on the other side to provide a little more traction. We did a little bit of spinning as we went up the driveway back to the shop, but made it in one shot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mikerobison on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:55 am:

Here are a few pictures of the conversion.

A couple of street L's must be put into the gas tank inorder to use the stock shut off valve, and an extended E-brake rod must be made to go around the transfer case. Also becasue this car used to be a MT 500 car it had a minimal amount of leaf springs and couple had to be added to retain a level look, the height of the car rose about 3".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison-Montana 500 President on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:09 am:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/3131887947_6c49f6d3cc.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/3132714576_0689cde6ce.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/3132713944_915e7a6776.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/3131886055_f32900eb2f.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/3132712680_1ecaecd437.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/3131884775_6ef2989af6.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3082/3132711626_2aaa29a182.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/3131884199_50c7e646c1.jpg?v=0

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration