Titel in FLA,Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Titel in FLA,Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 08:52 pm:

Question
If i build a wood cab and bed for a chassis and build a picup truck can i get a title from the DMV here in Florida ?
or do i need to buy a title for ?
Or Just write HOMEMADE in title aplication
And will insurance cover suth a car?
Thank you
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jkcallin on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 09:16 pm:

The best people to answer those questions would be the DMV and your insurance carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 06:01 am:

It's going to have a "Model T" radiator, hood, cowl & headlights, right? How about fenders, Model T fenders?
If this is the case, register it as a (whatever year the engine is), "Model T". If it doesn't have a top or a folding top, it's a "custom bodied, Roadster Pick-up". You will of course have to be able to PROVE where the engine and possibly frame came from.
Forget that word "Home-made". A home made car is a modern vehicle and will have to comply with modern safety and emmission standards.
Ford made frames with the running gear, and everything forward of the doors for custom body installations. You're trying to title & register THAT, what the "body" is, is secondary.
Do your homework, get your documentation together BEFORE you talk with the DMV. You don't want to have to change your "story" later. A "Model T" is a recognized (and probably insurable) vehicle. A "Home Made car" is a whole different ball game.
I'm not a DMV "expert", I am a Florida resident.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Jensen on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 09:24 am:

I just went thru the whole process here in Florida. Denis is right do your home work first! The DMV cares about the VIN! I have matching #'s engine and frame, took photos of both. There is a form to document the vin, this must be Notorized and inspected by a member of Law enforcement, or take the whole vehicle to the DMV. You can get the form on line.
I had all the right paperwork, notorized, photos bill of sale. Turned them over to the clerk as requested, she had to check the "Book", then ask her supervisor, they had to ask "The Supervisor" in the corner office, she made a phone call. The committee came out with questions, where was the last registration? no Odometer? and what is the horsepower.. original engine??? it's not a street rod? Then they had a discussion about the plate I was to get.. Horseless carriage? regular plate? no no Antique Plate. In under two hours I left with a registration, title, and a plate, Happy. From others I have spoken to one trip and a plate is great, so do your home work.. like Dennis said they care about what is in the "book" by manufacture and numbers.
Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:15 am:

Larry,
I live in FL too and had some problems changing title from CA to FL and correcting the year from 25 to 26. What worked for me was to take a signed proof of engine number from an officer WITH the "Model T Ford" book by McCalley showing the year that matches the motor to the DMV. This was the second DMV office as the first office would not recognize the book. (The first DMV asked me to get a letter telling the year of the car from FORD or from a dealer. As you can imagine, that was not possible. Everyone had to CYA.) Take copies of your proof with you and they may keep the page copy with your paperwork, if all goes well. Good luck.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:29 am:

I have the funny feeling that Nick with no profile didn't write to Ford and try to get a letter. If he did, I'd be curious to know who he tried to contact and did not get results. I know for a fact that Ford Motor Company does make an effort to furnish this kind of information to a restorer. Guys like Bob Kreipke are very helpful this way. Additionally, the Henry Ford is also very helpful with assisting with dating information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:07 pm:

It would be so nice if everyone was honest in what they were doing in titleing cars and such.The Dmv wouldnt have to go into Shields Up mode everytime someone came in with a T to title.
And to,wouldnt it be sweet if all Dmv folkes made the effort to learn about the historical stuff enough to help us like the fellow from Texas the other day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry DeLong on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:33 pm:

On the premise that time is money, why mess around with DMV trying to re-invent the wheel? Hemmings have several regular advertisers who for not too much, will "buy your car, title it, then sell it back to you".....I messed with NY DMV for months over a 1924 T Coupe that I bought from an Estate- I had a NY title from the dead owner, plus a letter from his dead lawyer, and the DMV wanted me to track down the Law Firm who took over the business??? Not enough hours in the day-

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:35 am:

When I first registered my car, it had a perfectly valid Florida title but it hadn't been registered in at least 15 years.
The title had a "typo" on it, it was registered as a 1928 Model T. All I wanted to do was correct that. I pointed out that there isn't any such thing as a 28 T. They told me they would register it "as is" or not at all and shined me on!
I did my homework, I traced the car back to Georgia, (where it was a 1927) and went back with PROOF that it was THEIR mistake!
They STILL shined me on. I took my case to the director of the county DMV, heard nothing for a couple weeks, then one day I got a call from my local office "inviting" be to come down and they would take care of everything!
As it turns out, MY car was at one time owned by the father of the director of the Sarasota County DMV! and it was a 27 when he sold it!
They fell all over themselves to get it straightened out then.

(loosers).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:15 pm:

I live in Florida and just registered a '27 that was last registered there in '60. Took all of ten minutes. On the other hand, when I tried to register my '10 Chalmers Detroit it took three months and all I was doing was transfereing the registration from NY where it had been registered in my name for 25 years. Seems the computer in Florida never heard of a Chalmers Detroit and they were not about to register anything the computer never heard of. They offered to register it as an Allis Chalmers Tractor however. Eventually, after submitting lots of documentary evidence that there was in fact a car made by that name and trailering the car to the DMV so they could see the emblem on the radiator they gave me a plate and issued my title. Unfortunately the title reads Chalmers, Allis. Someday someone else can get it straightened out, I've had enough of the DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:57 am:

Val, you have obviously noticed that the Florida DMV comes to a screeching halt when you throw them a curve. If it isn't in "THE" computer, it didn't exist!
I've got a pal with a 1913 Pope. It took him YEARS to restore it and almost as long to convince the DMV it wasn't a Plymouth!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:39 pm:

Handy, helpful hints for registering anything even slightly "unusual" with the Florida AND California DMV.

1. Bring the car.
(it's going to end up there anyway).

2. If you have a Cop pal who thinks he knows something about cars, get him to lie on paper.
(to anything you are going to swear to in print).

3. Bring a folder with about an inch of paper in it.
(put the 5 or 6 pieces of paper you need on top, the rest are unimportant).

4. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! anticipate even the dumbest questions.
(even if you have to have equally "dumb" answers).

5. Even if it's your first time, act like you have been there 10 times.
(that way you may only have to show up 6 times).

6. Politely greet the person behind the counter, ask for the supervisor.
(that's who you're going to end up with).

7. Always act like you know more about what you're trying to do than the person behind the counter.
(because you probably do).

Obviously, I'm being sarcastic but there's an ounce of truth (and experience) in every one of those suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:16 pm:

I'm glad we don't have to deal with Titles up north here in my neck of the woods. I thought I was in for trouble when I exported my roadster pickup from the USA to Canada. The gray haired lady behind the counter looked like she was employed there before the flooring was installed. All she asked was if the vehicle had working brake lights and I said yup (and it did too) and she scribbled away and in less than 15 minutes I was out the door with my plates. When I looked at the registration card later that day I noted it was now called a Model A T .... I haven't got a clue how she messed that up as I told her plainly it was a Model T, but it's something I should be able to get cleared up (I hope).

Be sincere, take all yer paperwork, and watch what they give you back closely as if you were correcting an exam - don't just grab everything and leave!

Regards,
Garnet

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration