LED Brake lights, safety additions need advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: LED Brake lights, safety additions need advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 01:29 pm:

I read on some prior forums threads about using LED brake lights as safety additions on our T's.

I can not find the thread using the search function.

Question, I can find 12 volt LED brake lights on ebay will they work off the 7 volt magneto or is there a voltage transformer I can place inline converting 7 volt to 12 volt? Or can I make one from simple windings around a dowel

Also I am looking to buy a trailer to transport the T what excellent advice there is on the forum using the search "trailer" function! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

David,

Does your car currently have a battery? 6 or 12 Volt? 6 volt LED bulbs are harder to find then 12 volt.

It would be difficult to directly use the magneto AC voltage with LEDS due to the fact that the voltage varies with engine RPM. Some people have implemented various methods to use the mag to run 12 LEDS but those guys are of the electric persuasion :-).

Fun has a very good 12 Volt charger that works with a 12 volt battery. A small sealed cell type or motorcycle battery could be used for the 12 volt LEDS.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:27 pm:

Thank you My car is traditional mag and 6 volt system. I may give the 12 volt battery a try

Or make a winding transformer

Anyoe make a 6 to 12 volt simple winding transformer for DC?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:44 pm:

You can't step up DC voltage using a transformer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:45 pm:

David,

Running LEDs off the magneto is very easy actually and it's real nice to have lights you don't have to turn on and off.

The systems I build draw less than 1/4 amp for lights at all four corners of the car and I don't use 12V LED bulbs - I make LED panels which operate from a 8.5 volt DC supply.

E-mail me at sethharbuck@bellsouth.net if you'd like more information. You can certainly build your own if you are handy.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 05:22 pm:

I did find LED 6 volt lights anyone buy and try these?

http://www.highspeedmotors.com/6VoltLEDInvoice.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 05:52 pm:

David, I did not use LEDs, but used a Hella modern fitting for indicators fitted with a 6v bulb. For tail light and brake lights, used a Model A type rear tail light fitting. Easy to install.

I made looms with fabric covered wire threaded through the loom cover material from suppliers. (A bit tricky to thread until you get the hang of it - easier to thread one wire, solder ends of the other together, then draw through. A second person keeping the loom tight while pulling also helps).
Loom cover: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000021c~Z5Z5Z5183 34~P0.70~~~~S2JG0ZY43Z20397831032a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000021C

Although for a TT truck, I can email you my wiring diagram if you would like, as would be much the same for a car, only shorter wire runs.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

David,What do you think your Model T is worth?? I once saw a 1906 model N,Very nice hauled on a home made single axel,no brakes or lights pice of junk so what is your investment worth.We have had our 18' enclosed for years but we also have a truck on the hitch.At this part of the question you may hear almost anything so You have to choose what will work for You.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 09:51 pm:

I found a thin 12" long LED 3rd brake at a hot rod shop and mounted it just under the roll of the rear seat upholstery on my 14 (don't have a top on it at this time). I added a 12v gel-cell that was salvaged out of an emergency light system at a local hospital. Even in direct sun that lite is BRIGHHT. I have yet to charge the battery.. gotta check it one of these days as it also helps the ign system on cold days when my cranking arm is not up to pulling quickly.
As far as a trailer get something that will take an impact from a stupid driver talking on the cell phone and not noticing that your towing a trailer when they merge into the side of your trailer. I have more than one friend that has been in an accident with their trailer due to cars merging into the side of the trailer.
Dual axle with strong fenders is highly reccomended

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:24 pm:

Electrical experts how to get 12 volts DC out of a 6 volt DC battery. Could I run 2 seperate positie wires with one wa diodes on them to a 12 volt light positive to fool the system that one 6 volt battery is in series?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:11 pm:

Just get a bunch of 1.5 volt LED's and run them in series/parallel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:21 pm:

David,

DC to DC converter. Go up or down. Look on the web. Solar energy suppliers usually have them. Good for running a GPS unit or stereo too.

If you follow chuck's advice, add resistors to limit the current to the LED's. You can Google this or ask the LED supply houses.

Neil

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration