New T Owner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: New T Owner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 01:43 pm:

I finally did it! I bought one of those old black Ford motorcars. It is a very good looking 1925(poss.1924?) runabout. It appears very clean and spent its past few years sitting in a business lobby. I will post more pictures when it is in my garage.
roadster

The battery is dead, but I was able able crank the engine to feel how it turns over. I could feel the resistance of the engine, It didn't feel all that hard to crank
Howard now has a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 01:55 pm:

Congratulations Howard!!!

Looks like a nice T. Welcome to the hobby.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:05 pm:

Howard,
Hmm, if the magneto's any good, ferget the battery! Crank start that puppy, she looks fine!
Welcome aboard
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

Welcome from the other side of PA Howard!! We live outside Philly. You've come to the right place for help and fellowship around the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Hummel on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

Howard,
Nice car you purchased. If you need any help starting the car, I live up towards Avonmore, Pa about 1/2 hour away. You can call me at 412-897-6770 and I can come down and help you out.
Ken Hummel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 04:57 pm:

Looks in "show-room condition" to me. Shes a beauty Howard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 05:47 pm:

Howard:
You did good Kid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 06:08 pm:

Howard,
You did good! Suggest having another model T owner help you get it running and provide some driving lessions. It's a great hobby with an excellent support group like this. You now have a great extended family of friends to tour and have fun with. Enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 06:17 pm:

If it runs as good as it looks, you got a good one.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 06:27 pm:

Howard, By this time next year we want to see some vintage Model T tools hanging on those clean walls and a few oil stains on the concrete! By the way....unusual front wheel chock!!!:-)....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 09:11 pm:

Michael-
Unfortunately that is not my garage the car is in! I have a two car garage that is filled with everything else. The seller is willing to keep the car until I clear up a space for it. Guess what I am doing this Christmas Holiday? I can't wait to get it home!
Another picture
sideview

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:26 pm:

I would assume that your car does not have the original engine? The '25s came out in October of 1924, so it could be a '25 model, and be made in '24. Look at the firewall to see if it has a two rivet patent plate with mitered corners. Also the door will have parallel door hinges. There are many other ways to tell, these are just two. Congratulations on your find. You will have many years of enjoyment from this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:33 pm:

I live in Allison Park, PA, not too far from Monroeville. The phone here is 412-364-0561.
Bruce McCalley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 01:44 pm:

Howard, you better jump on that offer right now!!! Not too many new T owners get to have help from the acknowledged godfather of the Model T World. He's the man who wrote the bible in this religion!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:13 pm:

Howard-
Like Stan says, "jump on that offer to meet Bruce". I would give just about anything for the privilege of meeting Bruce! Buy his book "Model T Ford-the Car That Changed The World" and take it with you! It not only gives you a great education about the Model T and it's changes over the years, it's a very enjoyable read. You are very fortunate to have received that offer. . .take advantage of it. Have a safe and happy holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:28 pm:

Bob, you forgot something ...."buy his book" AND ask him to sign it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 02:35 pm:

I met him at Hershey 2 years ago!
Unfortunately it rained so much that we left without buying anything!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 03:26 pm:

Tom-
I'm tempted to send Howard MY book and have him ask Bruce to sign it! <g>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 03:40 pm:

Howard: If that car had been closer to Alabama it would be in MY shop. I was watching it. You did GREAT. Good luck with it. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:41 am:

Larry- In my excitement at looking at the car, I looked at everything on it but the engine number(DUH). What I did see was that the engine had a 4 dip inspection cover, the pedals were the diamond shape ones with no markings. It still has original coil and timer ignition system. Also has a water pump and a honeycomb style radiator core. The front fenders had the bead running under the splash apron and the edge of the rear fenders appeared even with the running board and did not flare out. The dash panel is straight across.
I will post other details later.
Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement-I can't wait to get it home!!!
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

Car not home yet-It is officially mine. Eng# 11588*** puts its date at 1925. Some more pics.
drvrrearfrontgen
More pictures later. Can we use the 1925 plates in Pennsylvania?
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:47 pm:

I don't believe you can use just the '25 plates in PA. You still must have the state antique plate on the vehicle (not a bad looking plate actually), but can also mount the '25 plate say on the front bracket since PA only requires the rear plate. We have the state plate on the rear and a '26 original on the front of our touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:50 pm:

What's mounted on your driver-side windwing? Looks like a mirror or possibly a light, and there seems to be something behind it that I can't make out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

Wayne,
There is a convex mirror glued to the wind wing.
The other thing is a turn signal in the shape of a hand.signal
It flips out with a lever on the steering column.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:33 am:

Very neat!! You've already got a start on another aspect of the T hobby - interesting accessories.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration