Prayers needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Prayers needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:26 pm:

Please pray for my T partner. He has been my second dad since I was 10. when my family was dirt poor he gave me my first car. we got our first T's at the same time about 4 months ago. This past Friday he went to the E.R. with chest pains. By Sunday morning they had him transferred to chapel Hill Hospital. He has been diagnosed with chronic lymphoma leukemia. He starts Chemo tomorrow. My heart is broken as the diagniosis is not good. I am writing this with tears in my eyeys. As I am a newbie to this forum I do not know if this is appropriate but we need all of the prayers that we can get.
Just think, last friday, I was concerened about getting my T in the parade. Now all I care about is my friend. His name is Jackie Potter. Thanks Guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:36 pm:

Brad, That's tough news,but don't give up on him. I've also been there and still kicking. They can do wonders anymore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:41 pm:

Brad, the world is full of cancer survivors (like me, for example). Medical science today is not even what it was four years ago. Just be sure he is being treated at a first-class hospital. I'll add my prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:47 pm:

Thanks Guys. He is at UNC-Hospital which is one of the best in the nation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 06:18 am:

Brad,

Our prayers and thoughts go out to you and Jackie. I too am a cancer survivor. Even in the darkest moments our Good Lord is with us all. Keep the faith my friend.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 07:02 am:

Brad,

It is absolutely appropriate to ask for prayers for your friend here!! It is an honor to be asked to offer up prayers for a friend. I, too, have a very dear friend battling leukemia right now in Indy.

The time of year makes it espeially difficult, but, at the same time, this time of year gives us hope!!

Your friend is on our prayer list!

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 07:21 am:

Brad,

You and Jackie will be in our prayers.

When my Mom was diagnosed with cancer she handled it so much better than I did. We almost lost her a couple of times, but three days ago she finished her chemo and is now having follow up visits. As Jack and others have pointed out we are so blessed to live when we do. A 100 years ago the doctors didn’t really have the knowledge of how to treat that disease or a lot of other ones either. Sometimes the person with the illness seems to handle the situation better than the rest of us. I know during my Mom’s treatment and even today, she was at peace with God and comfortable either way it might turn out. Funny, I don’t even use hand gestures at the people who cut me off in traffic but I sure felt that way towards God -- especially around the one month point. And I know God is “big enough” to let me be real with Him about that. If you haven’t read through the 5 stages of grief, recommend you take a look at them (one summary is at: http://www.way2hope.org/5_stages_of_grief_and_loss.htm -- disclaimer -- I liked their explanation of the 5 stages of grief but that is the first time I have gone to that site and I don’t know about the rest of the site. But the five stages of grief summary is good.) Most folks go through them to one degree or another. Some of us go through them a couple of times – as things got better I moved to acceptance – I liked what I saw, and when things got worse I would be angry or not wanting to talk to anyone about Mom’s health. And I read more about cancer in the last 8 months than the rest of my life put together. The articles and information on cancer were helpful for me. While they couldn’t say what would happen to my Mom, they could give me some statistics about what happened with similar types of cancer and when they were discovered. I never wished there were more stages than stage 4 cancer until I found out that was the most advanced and that was what Mom had. Some sites that had helpful information for me were: the American Cancer Society at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp and the National Cancer Institute at http://www.cancer.gov/ .

My work was supportive and we went home to say goodbye. What a roller coaster ride the next two months were and the following six months were hard but a piece of cake compared to our first two. Looking back on it – I would not volunteer anyone to go through that as either the patient or the loved one wishing they could do more. And it sure helps to put things in perspective – Hug the ones you love. So you and Jackie and that situation will be in our prayers.

Prayerfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david kriegel on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 07:27 am:

I add my prayers and wishes. Obviously a good man we NEED to keep around. If you think it OK put his hospital address down for cards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe stearns on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 09:12 pm:

I would like to add my prayers for your friend and for you also. I'm a cancer survivor too like so many others. Just remember that all things are possible through prayer. Nothing is too big for God.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Asking for prayers is not only proper but it has been done many times here.
About 50 years ago leukemia had a 15% surviavl rate.
About ten years ago they said it was 85% survivable.
The odds are in his favor even though lymphoma is a nasty type of blood cancer.
Just going by what freinds and relatives have had and what I have read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:22 pm:

Brad,
Both you and your friend are in our prayers. I am very moved by the responses that you have received. What a wonderful hobby our old cars are, they have brought so many special people together. We are a very large and wonderful extended family.
Joe Stearns said it so simply "Nothing is too big for God"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:08 pm:

Brad,

I too will pray for your friend.

Just as Les has stated, I too am moved by the responses. This Model T hobby is about far more than just cars.

May God bless you and your friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth Saffles on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 08:07 pm:

Brad

I too will pray for your friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish Bulger on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:13 am:

Brad please know whether we post or not Jackie will be included in our prayers.
Four years ago yesterday I pulled into may parents driveway when our family too was facing cancer. My family lives in one neighborhood so we grew up thinking everyone was close to their grandparents and great-grandparents. Dad and Pep (his dad) were diagnosed with cancer at the same time.
The doctor told my dad "get a hobby!". I guess he didn't know dad didn't really have friends or interests. He just always worked hard and took care of his family. Dad pulled into the yard with a flatbed full of rust and a tree growing out of the middle. When I drove in that day I had no plans or a job but I was determined. Dad told me to go see his T guy. Without so much as taking a nap I drove back to town and got an application.
Dad now has a fully restored tudor and centerdoor and touring in progress. As many on here know I now have a pick up. These are not old cars or possessions for us.
This has been a community that has not only embraced us but grabbed right on pulling us up on our feet and has allowed us to be healthier, stronger people by nothing more than allowing us to just be us.
They told us Pep had weeks to live but he went another 9 months and passed a week before turning 90. I can't help but cry right now because he could have been 190 and it wouldn't have been enough. I now have a cancer free dad.
My dad and I can hang out in the garage together, go to car shows together and it's no longer uncomfortable for me to be in the same room as him. We now see each other the way this crazy community of T people see us and we actually have grown to like each other! lol For a girl who's never had friends I now have people that seem to care about me around the world. It's powerful stuff.
Be strong Brad and know there is a power in numbers. Everyone has a story and for as long as we wake each morning we should approach it like a new day. Don't approach this as an ending but perhaps consider it a new chapter in your relationship. He's truly a lucky man to be so loved to have you post.
God Bless you both and make the most of this holiday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brad on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 06:13 pm:

Thanks so much guys. We have had a little bad news today. Mr Jackie was re diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Mantle Cell Lymphoma. He will start an aggressive chemo therapy starting tomorrow for six days. Keep praying. Also my family and i will be traveling to Cleveland Ohio Friday. This is a 800 mile trip but the weather looks okay. Maybe I can find a "putor" so I can check in. I have been so blessed by my new "t" buddies on this forum. Merry Christmas Guys. Love ya Brad

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration