1926-27 Roadster rewooding plans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1926-27 Roadster rewooding plans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:28 am:

I am looking for a set of plans to rewood the 1926-27 roadsters. They are only three pages of prints. I have the touring set. I will buy outright or trade. I have other prints to trade.
Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:00 am:

There is a guy who advertizes on eBay occasionally. I think he charges about $50 for the complete set. I was looking myself earlier today, but he's not listing anything right now and I don't know his name. You might keep checking if you don't find anything else, or if you have an eBay account, set it up to alert you when plans are posted for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:08 am:

Leon look up cubels site, very little wood in a 26-7 rdster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:16 am:

John
I know there is very little wood. I have someone in England that needs a set of the roadster plans. If I find a set for the roadster I will have all the rewooding plans for the open cars from 1913-27. Thanks. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:33 am:

I am also looking for wood plans for a 26 Roadster and of course willing to pay the cost or share the cost or trade something???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Sanford on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

I would also like to find these plans and would share the cost.

On a similar question, I have tried to get the plans for the floorboards from the Benson Library but no luck so far in even getting a cost for these drawings. It seemed in conversations with them that the best way to ensure success was to go there in person. Has anyone had success in getting information from the Benson without having to go in person? If so, how?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 01:54 pm:

James
I have the plans for the touring. The first sheet is the same one for the roadster and it has the drawings for the front floor boards. They are not factory drawings. If you need it let me know.
Leon ford1914@bellsouth.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:08 pm:

I am not familiar with the Benson Library - where is it and what do they have in relation to T's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:21 pm:

http://www.hfmgv.org/research/index.aspx The Benson Ford Research Collection is part of the Henry Ford. It is an extension of Lovett Hall and is adjacent to the Village entrance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

Don,

Trent Boggess has a great description of the Benson Ford Archives (at that time it had a slightly different name) at: http://oz.plymouth.edu/~trentb/HFMGVStacks/Stacks.html
If you can provide them some information on where to look, for example giving them the part number, the factory number (which is actually on the drawing and sometimes cast into the part), the year range, and where it might be located, they can find it more easily and the research charge will be lower in many cases. There is a minimum charge – but it goes for a very good cause – keeping the documents available.

For example from Bruce McCalley’s “Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia” the “Price List of Parts” [ http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm ] we find

BOARD Front floor board #1, with plate part # 45331X Factory # 45331 fits 1926-27
BOARD Front floor board #2, with plate part # 45332X Factory # 45332 fits 1926-27
BOARD Front floor board #3, with plate part # 45333X Factory # 45333 fits 1926-27

There is a good chance that the Factory number will show that the floor board is actually another drawing # and the metal plate is another drawing # and that together they make up the part #. I.e. they didn’t normally sell just the board without the plate (or if they did, I did not see it listed in the quick glance I did).

Bruce also had that same basic information listed on his on-line encyclopedia at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#flor1 see the 1926 floor boards.

In this case the part number and factory number were the same but in many cases they are not. So providing the part # and the factory # along with the name (and a picture/sketch if you have one) can make it easier for the researcher to find what you want them to locate.

Some times Bruce in his encyclopedia and book will include the reference or location that the information was obtained from. For example at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/doc26.htm

"FEB 28, 1926 Acc. 94, Box 168, Ford Archives
Note about heavier frame side rails. See February 11-13 above [which was in the same location and dealt with the frame problem also]."

That information was found in Acc.94, Box 168, Ford Archives -- the actual box in the archive it is filed in.

While not as nice as the factory drawing -- you can do a good template using the opening that the floorboards fit into. Or better still -- contact Leon above who has them from the touring car wood plans.

Leon -- if you want me to look up the information for the part numbers and factory numbers for the 1926-27 roadsters -- let me know and I will look to see what Bruce has listed in his Price List of Parts. Those numbers should allow the archives to find the drawings. Not as nice a wood plans designed for someone to use in rewooding a body -- but it should give some good dimensions, type of wood, etc.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Sanford on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:

Before I sent my request for drawings to the Benson Ford Research Center, I did a word search on Bruce McCalley's "Price List of Parts" for floor boards. For 1926, I found the same three part numbers that Hap listed above for the Coupe, Tudor, Roadster and Touring body styles. Other part numbers were shown for the other body styles plus the rear floor boards for the Tudor and Touring.

I also looked at Lang's and Snyder's online catalogs and each lists separate kits for the 1926 open and 1926 closed cars.

Is there a difference in the front floor boards for the open cars and for the closed cars for 1926?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:12 am:

James,

It appears that the 1926-27 first 3 floor boards have the same part number between the open cars and the Coupe and Tudor. But the Fordor has different part numbers for those same boards. All the closed cars have additional floor boards listed (i.e. #4, etc.) Based on that I would think the first three floor boards would be interchangeable between the 1926-27 style Coupe, Tudor, Roadster, and Touring but NOT the Fordor.

For the Coupe and Turdor the price list has:

Header title for parts list-smaller.jpg
Closed car floor boards.jpg

And for the Fordor the price list has:

Header title for parts list-smaller.jpg
Fordor floor boards.jpg
(Price list information from Bruce McCalley's Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia, the Price List of Parts section, and is used by permission. It is available at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm )

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:12 am:

James,

It appears that the 1926-27 first 3 floor boards have the same part number between the open cars and the Coupe and Tudor. But the Fordor has different part numbers for those same boards. All the closed cars have additional floor boards listed (i.e. #4, etc.) Based on that I would think the first three floor boards would be interchangeable between the 1926-27 style Coupe, Tudor, Roadster, and Touring but NOT the Fordor.

(Price list information from Bruce McCalley's Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia, the Price List of Parts section, and is used by permission. It is available at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm )

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:16 am:

James,

Respectfully submitted,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:17 am:

Oops -- sorry for the multiple postings.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 09:12 am:

One of you smart fellers out there help me, when I click on the red X and ask it to show picture, nothing happens. This is on all my programs, not just this Forum, What do I need to do to make this work ? Youth wants to know !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:36 am:

The 26-27 Coupe, Roadster and Touring and Tudor Sedan all use the same floor boards. All of the boards are the same, the #1, #2 and #3(upper and lower). The 26-27 Fordor use the same floor boards as the Centerdoor Sedan, 23-25 Coupe, 24-25 Tudor, 23-25 Fordor and 24-27 Closed Cab TT Truck. The only difference is the #1 floor board changed to accommodate the different firewall used on the 26-27.

If you are going to request the drawings for the floor boards you have to use the factory number. On most body parts, the part number and the factory number are the same. I believe this is true for the floor boards as well. You then have to determine which drawings you want. For each floor board (not set but each individual board) there is a drawing for the board itself, the assembly with the splines etc, and the assembly with the pedal plates. On some there are additional drawings for things like the spline and the cleats. You will also have to specify what date you want as they made changes to the part and each change resulted in a new drawing. The drawings are $20 each (for reference use), or $50 each (for commercial use).

The latest catalog for Lang's lists different floor boards for the different 26-27 cars, but in reality you will get the same thing regardless of which part number you order them by. As far as Snyders and the rest of them, I can't tell you what they are selling. Last I knew they actually had different ones for the open and closed cars. I have no idea where they came up with that. One was correct (don't remember which one) and the other was something I've never seen before.

If you are looking for floor boards be advised that I have a back log of orders for floor boards. I was out of commission for a couple of months after the Centennial Celebration when I ran my hand through the table saw, lost one finger and did a pretty good job on my thumb. I was not going to try to work the saw with one hand. Now that the pin is out of my thumb and I'm able to use it again I'm trying to get to them as quick as I can. I finished some of them a few weeks ago. I started some hardwood ones and bought the plywood to do the rest of the plywood floor board orders two weeks ago, then lost power for a week. Got it back last Wed, then had a major snow storm Fri, Sat and Sun. This week and next are tied up with Christmas and New Years. I'm hoping to be all caught up on existing orders in the beginning of January - barring any more accidents, ice storms, snow storms or other disasters (all of which seem to happen quite frequently in my life).

www.t-parts.com

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:05 pm:

Gary – clicking on the “x’s” in my post above does not work for me either – I’m 90% sure there is nothing there for them to display. My bad, I did not intend for that to post. But I did get them to post later – they are the part numbers and factory numbers from Bruce’s “Comprehensive Model T Encyclopedia” for the floor boards.

Dave – I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. I’m glad you are getting better and I’m sure no one is worried about their floor boards taking a little longer to reach them. Thank you for adding the clarification about the floor boards.

Respectfully submitted,

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration