Not t related but close

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Not t related but close
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:08 am:

Its a wonderful life, George Bailys car - what is it? The one he hits the tree with, I love that movie and I thought it was a T he drove. But now that I have a T, I think it was not a T he drove in the movie. Did'nt look like one to me anyways. I could not i d it, maybe you guys might be able to ? just curious thanks. Its on again this Thursday and yep I will watch it again :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 03:43 am:

My guess is a late teen's Dodge, you know the kind with the big starter/generator. I could be very wrong but hey I took a stab at it. Will try and look it over a bit better on Christmas Eve when I use my DVD player to watch my movie. I have both Flubber movies but I don't think Disney has come out with then both in B&W on DVD, something about color just doesn't look right when they do that to certain movies. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 06:14 am:

Tom, It's a Dodge Brothers & yes from the teens or early '20's, they're recognizable from the low radiator & high headlamps.

Jerry, I'm glad colorization was short lived, in order to do it they have to start with a perfect B&W print. So you just kill the color on the set, or go to TCM.Com they have a 2 disc set with both the "Absent Minded Proffessor" & "Son of Flubber" for twenty bucks.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

Anybody remember the website that identifies old cars in old movies? I seen it a long time ago but can't remember where its' at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:22 pm:

John-Google search movie cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 01:22 pm:

Here is a 1917 Doodge form our local Club. We have five old Dodges in our club. Mostly because they were built well out of good steel and lasted. The radiator badge is a six pointed star if you get a good close up of the radiator in the film. If it is not a Dodge it could be a Buick or a Studebaker. The two Speedsters are rather well known. The picture was taken last year at the Holiday Motoring Excursion in Pasadena, CA.

Dodge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 01:38 pm:

Here is the link, do a cut and paste.

http://www.imcdb.org/movies.php

Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:58 pm:

There was fellow that lived near Waterloo,In that had a Dodge like this.If I recall correctly,and there is a good chance I don't, he had bought this at one of the early Auburn events and it had supposedly been a movie car.I wondered even then if it was in that movie.I had wound up with quite a bunch of early Dodge stuff and traded most of it to him for T stuff.The old Dodge had been a really decent car and had only needed paint,top and upholstery.The only part I had that he actually needed was the gas gauge that mounted on the fuel tank.The rest of the stuff just to have on hand.His first name was Bill and I can't recall his last.I am pretty certain he passed away and I don't know what happened to his cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 03:09 pm:

Frank, do you want to caravan to the HME with Gene and me? We hope to leave about 0630.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:21 am:

Right on guys thanks for the responses

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene k. french on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:05 am:

Tom:
the car in movie "It's a Wonderful Life" is definatly a Dodge Brothers ...
These were very well built cars of a low to mid price range ...plenty of horse power (advertised as 38 to 42 hp.),a 3 speed sliding gear trans. and rugged full floating rear axel with large 2 wheel rear brakes,vacuum fuel supply,centrifugal and mechanical dist. advance,worm and sector steering,water pump and oil pump...
these cars were popular in the inner mountian areas due to their power and durability,we will still occasionally see power units built up from early Dodge chassis that had been used to power mine elevators and reasonably large saws...
Also the movie is probably my all time favorite
Merry Christmas
Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:42 am:

Very well built, but lacking style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

Well, I think they were relatively as stylish as any of the competition at that time. After the Dodge Bros. died, the company had the same problems as Ford. Built the same car for too long and it took Chrysler to fix that problem. I had a great-uncle who traded his '14 T in for a Dodge Bros in '16 or '17 and he stuck with Dodges until his dying day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

Warren, my grandparents owned six cars in their life. They were a '14 Dodge, a '28 Dodge, a '36 Dodge, a '41 Dodge, a '50 Dodge and a '56 Chrysler. I remember the last three and drove the last two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron griffey on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 03:25 pm:

I've been working on a '17 Dodge Bros. touring.
It needs a faster ring& pinion. There car is so slow that we normally start out in second gear on level ground.
The owner is very frustrated with it as we can't find a faster rear end or ring&pinion.
They are 12 volts and the starter is the generator too. when you turn on the key the silent starter spins the engine via the timing gears and when the engine starts the same unit charges the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

Why not put in a modren overdrive, Aaron? A Nash Rambler unit would be big enough to handle it, I'm sure. and it's 10:7 ratio. I just happen to have one, still attached to the 3-speed. Have anything interesting to trade? I might even trade my B-W R-10 out of a 12 volt Dodge, if he wants to keep it a purebred.

The R-10 is in the ol' brass picup right now, but removable with the right motivation. Does the Dodge have enclosed driveline? One beauty of the O/D is you can always return to stock.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene k. french on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 05:07 pm:

Aaron:
Regarding D.B. rear axel ratio ...most were reasonably low ...4:33 ,4:88 and even 5 something to 1 ratios in passenger cars ...with the large tires most will still provide for a decent road speed ...the D.B. motor would rev. higher and hold together better than many of the early cars
If you can locate a early gear set they were produced with a 3.63:1 ratio ...i have used these...they will make a D.B. scary fast
Happy New Year
Gene French

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 03:10 pm:

Ah yes, the Dodge Bros. "silent start". Sort of eerie watching one of these when it just sort of starts running. That starter/generator combo almost looks like it takes up about half the room under the hood.

My second choice for an antique car would be an early DB. Seems to me the shift pattern is sort of "backwards" compared to most makes. Buick also had a different pattern in that era.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration