Question about dist.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Question about dist.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:32 am:

Right now I am running on battry (6V) for coils. I have my choice of eather Bosch or Atwater Kent dist.
Both have centrifugal auto advance and maunal advance retard.
I have run the Atwater Kent and it is interesting in the way the whole dist moves when you advance and retard the spark.
Of the two(yes I have asked this question in the past but it was just an auto advance Bosch)which and why would you use? The one advantage of the Bosch there are more replacement parts out there. Other than that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:40 am:

I am not anti distributor so don't take this wrong. I am guessing your mag isn't working. I would confirm that you haven't tossed a megnet retainer or something that caused the mag to fail. If something like that has happened you really put the engine at risk to continue to run it in that condition. Unfortunately that means at least partial dissassembly to confirm. The last one I did took me about 12 hours to pull the engine, fix the flywheel, charge magnets, install a new field coil, bands, oil line and stuff it back in the car. When finished that mag was hot and there was no need for alternative ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:24 am:

I would go with the Bosch, only because of parts availability. I have a 17 with Atwater Kent. I have no spare parts. I found someone with points, and cap but I thought the price for them was outlandish. If it breaks I will probably replace it with one from Texas T or another vendor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:57 pm:

The parts issue is a biggie. I run an original Bosch front plate and even have some trouble finding parts for it. AK's are even more difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:43 am:

The mag works to some extent. I just do not have the money etc. to mess with re charging it right now. The coils were set up on the fancy new tool, but are still so-so. After reading some other post on magnets that have been reversed when charged it, sorta acts that way, but I hope not. I am going to give the Bosch a good cleaning and try that one. I just got a compleat Bosch 600 for less then $40. Eather it had been run using a T coil or outside condenser as the internal condenser is disconeted from the points. The rotor has been replaced with a different type and is tight on the shaft but seems to have done the job.
I do love the sound that the coils make and the free starts, but baby needs shoes first, then the magneto and coils.
Thanks for the replys, it is 3:40 AM could not sleep and it is snowing again. Ah the northwest got to love it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:10 am:

I installed the Bosch today. Idles so much better then the coils on 6V or the Attwater Kent. Will not be able to road test it till the roads dry out some.
Spent about 1/4 of the time making the rod between the spark leaver and the dist that I did for the Atwater Kent.
The internal condenser is bad and there is no where to mount it on the body without drilling a hole so I mounted it on the coil mounting bracket.
I have about the same spark going to each cylinder as shown by shorting out each plug in turn.
I did not see the extra holes in the firewall(I found a metal low firewall) when I mounted it on the frame. So some one in the past used the same setup.
I'am using a Wilmo intake/exhaust with an NH carb. My next project will be getting the Schebler carb to stop dripping gas or getting a shut off valve that can be shut off from under the hood as it only seems to drip when it's not running.
Weather note; Allmost 50 here today. Most of the snow (we had about 10 inches here in N Portland OR)is gone. I think I could deal with the snow, but it is the in-between weather when we get the rain which leads to flooding.
Thanks for all the help in 2008! Everyone have a safe and Happy New Year! MarkG and Nellybell Summer 2008

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:46 am:

My brother who is into small engines calls them Dribbler Scheblers. I had no problem with my FA. Does your float have any gas inside?

Nice arrowback chair, Mark. Do you know much about it? Are you using it for seating in the T?

We have similar ones hanging in the garage. Used to use them at the kitchen table.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 04:43 am:

Float is dry. It is one of two things, the replacment gaskets I used or I need to adjust the float again. It does run great, less adjusting just to start the motor.
The chair was a toss out by a church up the street. That is about all I know. It's not used for seating was just in back for looks. I have my tools for the T in a di-no-mite(sp :-) ) box in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:24 pm:

If that chair has a one piece plank seat, it is typical of handmade stuff of 1840 era Pennsylvania.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:15 am:

Mark,

If you have not allready done so, suggest adding a seperate ground wire from the Dist. head to the block. I encountered missing problems with a Texas T dist. until adding a seperate ground wire. Where the dist. head rotates sometimes does not provide a good ground circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:57 am:

Ricks, I dont think its that old, but better take a look could be the next big antique road show item :-)
Les, good point on the ground wire.
Thanks

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration