Somebody stop me

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Somebody stop me
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:38 am:

Last year I bought a 1925 Touring car in need of a tear down. I hardly finished disassmebly and cataloging parts when someone was kind enough to point out a 1923 Touring car available at a price I couldn't resist. Now I have one in the garage and one in the back yard, both needing to be worked on. Do other people suffer this affliction, and do they recover, or do they disappear into the garage and never come out?

I do have a couple of serious questions. I've decided to focus on the '23 since it came with a title and body wood, and is farther along in its restoration. The previous restoration of the '25 involved some pretty hokey methods and will take more attention.

My immediate concern is regarding the sheetmetal where the rear quarter panel overlaps the body side panel seam behind the rear passenger door. First, there are are series of four small holes and one larger hole where the quarter panel overlaps the side panel. I don't know if these are supposed to be there, or were drilled by the previous owner. Second, does this seam shown in a restoration, or was it leaded over at the factory? I can't answer these by comparing to the '25 because of the previously mentioned attempt to restore.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 07:37 am:

Last weekend my wife told my son and I not to come home with another car. We went out to look at another father son project. We kept our promise and did not drag home another car.....We brought home two.

In regards to your touring body question, the later tourings have a T-Strip that goes between the back and side panels. This finishes the joint and lead is not required. Earlier touring cars have the panels overlapped and spot welded with the bead on the panel forming the joint. These were not leaded either.

where are the small holes located? There is a small tie bar that goes through the upholstery tack strip and crosses the panel joints for additional strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 07:53 am:

Mike, Also see http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/76329.html?1229986504

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:27 am:

Mike,it is hopeless,there is nothing you can do but when the withdraw from not haveing a fresh project hits hard,ye must seek out another T.
Install a johny in the garage,and a small folding cot in the corner.A old tv helps you to stay somewhat in contact with the real world outside the garage walls.Family and friends need to understand and start bringing covered dishes of food to the garage and others beverages of your choice.
Hang pictures of more distant reletives like kids and wifes to help you remmeber what they look like in case they come in to the garage.Christmas list are easyer for the family as they know tools and T parts are a sure hit.Your Christmas shopping will consist of a short reentry into the real world for some gift cards.
It is a hopeless addiction.Enjoy.
:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:27 am:

The seam below and behind the rear doors is a exposed seam with wood screws into the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Ducharme on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:37 am:

Model Ts are really high tech nano-particles that clone themselves. While you (or more commonly your spouse) are not watching, they grab your wallet and use the money inside to act as a catalyst. If you have some dirty, crumpled bills, you may find the nano-particles mutate and end up creating C***Y or other odd ball makes (Model As, V8s, ....). Even limited garage space is not a deterant:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:19 pm:

1. Model T's can multiply faster then coat hangers.
2. Model T's are like potato chips - You can't have just one.
3. If you have two, the third is only a few months away.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

I didn't know anyone owned only one of these things. How do you expect to go places without a backup or two?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 03:05 pm:

Yeah but for those of us who do not have outbuildings and barns available, we do become quite creative on where to hide things until we 'get around to them'.

The wife still shivers when she thinks about the complete T that was disassembled and 'parked' in the attic over a house extension. She reminds me that it is coming up on 15 years and since then 1] she has lost parking priveldges not once, but twice. 2] She really still has difficulty on garage parking when she regains rights as there are things hanging from the ceiling and things tied to the wall next to her car.

But 3] when she hears the other garage door go open she comes running out like a little kid and says, 'Getting a T out? Can I go?

It all works out in the wash, even tho' as others say these things tend to self breed, sometimes in complete cars, sometimes in enough bits and pieces to build several

:-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 03:41 pm:

Thanks for all the comments. My concern is that I was starting to think about how I could squeeze in another one.

Here's the area I am talking about on the '23. It's the seam at the rear passenger door. The holes can be seen in the picture. They look like bolt or rivet holes, maybe even for rose welds in lieu of spot welds?? It overlaps the sill portion of the body side panel, but the original has been worked over to the point that I can't tell if there are supposed to be mating holes in the side panel.

My question is, on a finished car, should this seam even be visible, and if so, were there originally fasteners in these holes?

Thanks again.1923 T Pax side 11923 T Pax side 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 03:58 pm:

The seam isn't visible. It's covered by the fender. My cars have screws in those holes and now I hope they're supposed to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:29 pm:

Model T and TT's are like MICE, they just keep multiplying, there are 25-30 frames here, 9 complete cars to be built, 2 restored but presently not running, parts, parts and more parts Fun Fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:57 pm:

Tom - Thanks. I didn't even think about the fender covering the seam. Can you tell me what kind of screws, and do the pieces nut up to each other, or are they screwed into the wood frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

JohnD - Now I know who to call for my next fix. Maybe a nice rolling frame for a speedster? I know what you mean though - somehow I have more parts than I need for the two I already own, plus an old brass radiator which I will use to justify putting the above mentioned speedster underneath it when the time comes. I mean, if you already have a radiator, you might as well finish the whole car, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 07:26 pm:

I put internet in my back garage/shop. It's cold here and no heat so for now I sit in the computer room wile my wife makes goodie for Christmas.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration