Painting Brake Drums

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Painting Brake Drums
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:53 pm:

I am now ready to put new brake drums on my 13 touring. Do I paint all surfaces with a good Tremclad undercoat and Tremclad paint or do I leave the portion unpainted where the parking brake lining contacts the inside of the brake drum.
If I leave unpainted I was concerned with rusting the brake drum contact surface.
Do I paint the brake shoes that are inside the drum. Of course,I will not paint the brake lining.
Similarly do I paint the brake surface on the rocky mountain brakes. Instead of Tremclad should I be using a high temperature paint on both types of brake drums
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 05:35 pm:

No,Garry,you don't paint friction surfaces.Also,do not paint the universal joint ball housing or the universal ball cap[fourth main].The paint can make them bind causing huge stresses on the crankcase.Grease these parts.Till it oozes out on the garage floor or driveway. One of my very intersting old T friends,long gone, used to slather about five coats of some sort of industrial-strength paint on his chassis with a brush like a whisk broom.On one of his cars maiden voyages we went flying over some railroad tracks to try to make it shimmy.His idea not mine.There was a noise from under our feet that had to be heard to be apprecited.Engine Quit. Pulled back to his place with a rope.Teardown.The ball was literally glued in the cap.Crankshaft flange broken. I'm positive there was a connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:06 am:

Jim
Your advice is appreciated regarding painting. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. I am having fun restoring the running gear and chasis on my 1913 Canadian T touring
Merry Christmas
Garry

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration