Line boring a NRS engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Line boring a NRS engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 08:44 pm:

This isn't T but I thought some of you might find it interesting. We are boring the main bearings on Glen McDonald's model R engine using a Tobin Arp TA 15overall viewsetting  the cutter using the bar mikeboring a bearing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

Les: How do you like the TA 15? I have been thinking about getting one. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 10:22 pm:

I like it very much. It is fast to set up, easy to set the cutter. It should come with a really slick thrust facing tool that allows you to move the cutter radially as it spins. I bought the instruction book off ebay when I bought the machine a few years back. It assumes that you know how to machine but has lots of good info in it. The spring held cutter and the bar mike really work nice. I try to measure every cut to just to be sure I am comfortable with the size I am getting.
The bar i am using here I had not used before, usually i have used the one where you put the bar bearings on each side of the bearing you are working on, but with this engine i had to have the bar bearings on each end. Still it worked out fine.
With any machine of this type a little practice is essential.
These machines seemed to come with a set of line up fixtures for the Ford ABC and flathead V8 as well as various universal line up tools.
Dan what i am trying to say is try to be sure to get as much of these line up tools as you can get with it.
It is not the best machine for T though as it has a 1 1/8" bar which is really close for the first pass on a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DMC on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:17 pm:

Les- it that an original TA Bar? Looks like a reground Kwik-Way or ? with the set screw to lock the tool. Also, it looks too long for a TA bar- and AFAIK
all TA bars were hard chromed. But hey if it works, it works!

FYI to anyone out there who may want it, I have a
TA15 machine frame and table that will be going to the scrap yard in the near future. There is no tooling or overarms with it, just the main frame and table. I can load it and the price will be very reasonable. Located near San Francisco.
Dan McEachern
dmcgears@yahoodotcom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:11 am:

Dan
I couldn't say for sure. It came with the machine and is threaded to fit the TA drive. Anyway it worked in this application and I was glad to have it for this job.
It would be a shame to scrap the table and I assume the table elevation mechanism is intact. Just i live a long way away.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration