WHEN WAS LAST PRICE LIST OF PARTS ISSUED?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: WHEN WAS LAST PRICE LIST OF PARTS ISSUED?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 08:54 pm:

I am still digging through the debris of a move.In my collection of T era dealer/Owner literature the latest Price List Of Parts I can find is May 1, 1929.I must have another box of them somewhere because I seem to recall having these up to about '35.Iknow Ford built engines until '41 but anyone know when they issued the last price list??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

I don't know when the last one was issued, but there was one in November 1937.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 11:37 pm:

I have an original Ford chassis parts and price list from June, 1941. Among the parts still available were right side rear axle housings for 1915-25 @ $9.00.(There were no left sides listed, or any for 26-27. The stock of those must have been depleted.) Axle shafts were $7.00. Rear roller bearings were $1.85, the sleeves were 30 cents. Ford still had 26-27 wire wheels @ $12.75 each. The colors available yet were black, red, green, and straw. They also had engine blocks @ $32.50 and crankshafts @ $12.75. These were all list prices, subject to discount.
There were 19 pages of T and TT parts still available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 09:16 am:

Jim,
Please order me two engine blocks and crankshafts as well as a couple of roller bearings. At $32.50 I'll be glad to cover the freight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:30 am:

Thanks for the response.What got me thinking about this is I just bought a '27 engine that was rebuilt in 1940.It was the last T engine bored and rebabitted by that dealer.How I know these things and how the engine got saved when the rest of the car got made into airplanes and tanks is an interesting but rather long story.And,put me down for a couple of blocks and cranks.A few new camshfts at about $5 apiece sounds good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:49 am:

and now for the absurd!

According to Oregon University, the change in inflation from 1940 to 2008 is simply taking a 1940 price and multiplying it by 15.1515.

So if the world were 'fair'...does that really mean I should be able to buy a NOS block somewhere for 493 bucks? NOS Cranks somewhere for 193 bucks? Wooohooo, put me down for several!

Maybe the big three should be talking to Oregon University rather than going to Washington? Maybe there was a reason our industrial superiority had the legacy it has had and everyone forgot? Heck, double those prices for a two-fold standard of living increase since 1940 and I'd still find it a good deal! Heck, triple them to cover the advanced health care we all seem to now need and it would still be a buy, eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R. LEVY on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:31 am:

Jim,
I found the info about Ford building engines until 1941 very interesting. I wonder if these were complete engines or what is usually referred to as "short Blocks"? In either case I wonder what the price was? Anyone know the answers?
I hope all of you forum folks have a Merry XMAS.
Edward R. Levy
P.S. Since I seem to be fascinated by minute details I also wonder what the total number of engines made (1908-whenever) was?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:40 am:

I have a 1941 parts list too. What I've always wondered, is what happened to all those parts after WWII? Was there a memo from Ford Motor Co. encouraging dealers to get rid of the parts, or did they just do it on their own?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:19 pm:

I've always read that Ford made engine blocks (minus serial numbers) until '41 but not complete engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAREL J. LEIPOLD on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:47 pm:

I had one of those engine blocks back in 1948, It was NOS. Used it in a 1925 Touring. I did not stamp a number on the block. Sold the T to Erickson Motors at 46th & Chicago in Minneapolis MN in that same year. So some where that T may be still around with out a serial number on the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 05:18 pm:

William,

Ref page 537 of Bruce McCalley’s book “Model T Ford.” Bruce writes from the engine production numbers that engine serial numbers 15,176,882 through 14,176,888 (7 engines) were produced. And on page 501 Bruce states, “Furthermore, Ford only stamped a serial number on a completed engine (engine, transmission , pan, head, etc.) during the Model T era, not on a bare block or a “short block” which was destined for the replacement market.” Disclaimer – I don’t know if they continued that policy into 1941 or not.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

Thanks again guys for all the input.In a good friends engine pile there is a long-stuck non starter hogshead three dip pan engine with a replacement '26-27 block with no serial number.I think that one even has a low head on it.You would think that if someone back in that day was going to all that work they would at least have upgraded to a starter!Lots of fun stuff at Petes' place.Even a right hand drive double decker TT bus!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 01:05 am:

Darel -

I think my dad has some snapshots taken in 1948 or '49 of your '25 touring (with you sitting in it) in one of his photo albums.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 06:21 am:

Darel: Did that 25 touring have a one piece valve cover or was the engine a two holer? I got a 25 touring out of LA a few years ago that had a engine without a number but it was a two holer block.Still have the engine sold car without engine. Dan

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration