OT,...I woke to see my bedroom roof leaking right beside my head!!! What a way to start a Holiday!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: OT,...I woke to see my bedroom roof leaking right beside my head!!! What a way to start a Holiday!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:

Yeah,...funny thing is, I thought i was dreaming of the roof leaking,...no it was real,...a bad dream come true!

Ice backed up under the shingles and, well as the heat comes throughthe roof its melting, and going right inside. obviously the path of least resistance!

Wish me better fortune,.... for tomorrow is Christmas and I'd like to spend it with the family! Geesh!

Merry Christmas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 11:49 am:

Jason,
I know the feeling as I own & live in a two story 108 year old house that is always full of suprises(we have re-roofed, rewired & re-plumbed over the last 20 years). Still we love the house because it has character!! Try & relax & remember the old rule"you can't fix the leak when its raining & when its not raining the leak doesn't matter !!" Because of complex family dynamics we will be celebrating Christmas on Saturday (does the fun never end ?) Oh, & in a moment of either insanity or fear I agreed yesterday to go to Walmart for last minute necessities yesterday in the midst of a rainstorm.
EDWARD R LEVY
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

Jason,

Just get the ice dams or whatever out of the way for now and take care of the aesthetics later!
Santa doesn't care...he still visits and doesn't have time to look around :-)

I've gotten use to the holiday phenom...

When we bought this house, the missus loved the idea of a true cedar shake roof! True meaning just rafters, rows of one by purlins, and the cedar shakes themselves mounted to the purlins...no plywoon. no sheathing.....

On a sunny clear day you can see to the outside...lol. On a hot summer day you have natural ventilation....OK so they swell and seal when they get wet...takes a few minutes.....but for some reason, usually just before a holiday or a family get together, there is a seasonal storm, or it snows, and there is always one seam somewhere that decides it it not its turn to seal up with the moisture in the usual few minutes!

We've had ceiling fixtures that fill and drip...there is another spot just inside the front door, there is even one over the John in the powder room! Of course the ceilings beneath the rafters and joist are drywall...lol...so we just tell people and visitors it is part of 'quaint' living :-)

A little KILZ goes a long way...just get a fan in somewhere to dry out the other wood! If the wet freezes, it will come back to haunt the repairs when it eventually melts...this part I do know firsthand!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish Bulger on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:24 pm:

Last night I laughed out loud watching a grown man about my age actually in tears on television because all he had was a fireplace to keep his family warm during our Massachusetts ice storm. That's all we had for heat when I was a kid!
Jason, my mom's response would be "thank you Lord for giving me a roof and reminding me with this leak that others don't have one". I'd tell you to keep your chin up but we don't want something getting in your eye now do we? Thanks for sharing and reminding us all of what we do have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:11 pm:

I've been singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas"since I was a kid....I've lived in the Mountains of So. Calif.for 10 years and never had much snow till after New Years...Not this year,,,,over 3 Feet.....It's a pain in the tush(can ya say that?)but it sure is beautiful.....We're getting another foot tonight and if my driveway wasn't so steep I'd love to get the "T" out and get some photos of her in snow......Jason,and everyone else,stay warm and try to look at the beauty around you....Happy Holidays to all...........The Sorenson's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 01:19 pm:

Jason;

Waiting for the same to happen here. My house dams up every winter. I found it helpful to get out the ladder and generously sprinkle Ice Bite or some other sidewalk melter on the dams. I've considered spraying the ice with black rattle can paint to make it heat more in the sun (when it's out) but haven't tried it.

Another remedy (too late for this season) is to buy "resistance heat tape". This is not the stuff people wrap around pipes (that's insulated) but a flat resistance metal that you mount on your roof in zigzag pattern on the lower 3 feet or so. Typically, most folks either ad an outlet under the eaves to plug into when needed or replace the porch lamp with a screw-in plug and turn on the porch light to warm up the tape. Doesn't remove all the ice but forms a channel for water to run off the roof from snow melt.

I live in a 60-year-old 1-1/2 story house built after WWII. In these parts it was all the rage to build with a "tornado-proof" roof (no eaves on the gable ends, just some facia trim and only about 6 inches of overhang on the eaves). Poor ventilation under the roof and poorer insulation which allows for melting.

All proper cures cost big money. To provide proper venting under the roof requires either tearing off the roof and adding ventilation space and better/more insulation beneath the air pockets or you can rip off the plaster/sheetrock or whatever and work from the inside. You have to do work inside the knee walls also in order to add insulation.

Last winter, I had 6 inches of water/slush between my sash windows and storms in the living room. Went outside, drilled drain holes under the storms and put a fan facing the windows to thaw the water so it would drain down to where I could open the lower sash and scoop out the rest.

For those of you who don't live in areas with this type of problem, the biggest trouble comes from saturated insulation that can't dry out completely, causing mold to form in the walls as well as dry rot to frame members. Lots of houses that were sealed up tight when built in the last 20 years have been condemned or needed extensive structural repairs due to this problem.
Especially problematic with stucco houses for some reason, probably because the stucco restricts "breathing" even more than conventional siding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 02:05 pm:

Speaking of fireplaces, we have three. But when I was little we never had a fireplace, so the story about Santa coming down the chimney - into a wood or oil space heater took a lot of imagination to reconcile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 02:14 pm:

Hey Jason,

Made it through Christmas myself, but awoke this morning to the kitchen light going drip...drip...drip and the wife running around like a banshee with every towel in the house :-)

Have this bathroom upstairs, hardly ever used since the kids moved out a few years ago, had a houseful for Christmas, it got called into service......

Flushometer ALMOST closed, and after 16 years of living here finally discovered that the overflow tube was 1/2" higher than the flush lever hole!!!

Will wonders never cease? HaHa....but did make it through the day......now, for the annual party tomorrow, Missus is calling...gotta go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

What does OT mean??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 04:10 pm:

Off Topic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 07:37 pm:

HA! Hey Guys thanks for the little stories here and there,....
our house is actually a wonderful part of history, built around 1910, the garage around the 1920s.

I'd never buy new, never...

I'm having our insurance cover the water damage,....all is well the ice was cleared off in an hour and the leaking stopped. whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:07 pm:

Lewis - I'm realy glad you asked that. I had to look that up (OT) in a "text messaging" abbreviation guide that my wife found via Google. I don't think we should have to look up such abbreviations to figure out what people are trying to say. I'll probably get "blasted" for this, but I'm gonna' say it anyway! There are those of us who "text message" and those of us who don't. I've never seen anybody criticized on this forum for writing too much, and I'm sure that "text messaging" has it's place, but in my humble opinion, it doesn't belong on this forum. It's for that cell phone stuff that the kids do (mostly kids anyway) and I think it's silly anywhere else! To me, if it's not worth spelling out in full in good English, it ain't worth saying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:17 pm:

These abbreviations have been around a lot longer than text messaging on celfones, Harold. Think of the people still on dialup and you have more sympathy for abbr., FWIW. . BTDT.

Most Forums use a lot more abbrev than you see here, that's for sure.

T is short for Model T, which is short for Ford Model T. Where do you draw the line?

Ever seen LMAO? The first word is laughing...

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 08:25 pm:

"Laughing more and often"? Okey; "laughing my a** off", I get it! I really don't feel that I'm completely stupid; I'm just one of those old guys that are TRYING to keep up with new ways of doing things; but it ain't easy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:21 pm:

The letter-type abbreviations were used on CompuServe forums before the internet blossomed. Some still survive, although I suspect that fewer and fewer are using them.

<lol> Laughing out loud
<rofl> Rolling on the floor laughing
<g> Grin
<bg> Big grin
<pmfjih> Pardon me for jumping in here
<imho> In my humble opinion
<ianal> I am not a lawyer

etc. etc. etc.

They often took the edge off comments that otherwise might have given offense, but were meant in jest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:31 pm:

Okey, er,...I mean,....O.K.,....SIBIU

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

Sorry I brought it up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:44 pm:

Harold,

"I'm just one of those old guys..."

I'm 67 and I remember and still use the abbreviations. I sometimes think that the younger computer users don't know what they mean. They do date back to an all-text environment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:58 pm:

I'm 67 too Dick; 11-27-41. Guess my problem is that I don't even know what CompuServe is. I just gotta' believe that there are quite a few more guys like me on this forum that are just barely computer literate. Or, in my case, maybe I should say, almost computer illiterate. (Guess I should also say,....Sorry Jason, for straying very far from the the original topic of this thread that you started!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:12 pm:

Gotcha beat. 10-26-41. :-)

CompuServe predated the internet and was an information provider. It was divided into a lot of special-interest type forums that resembled this forum. It was a way to communicate with people who had similar interests. It still exists, but is a shell of its former self. It was made obsolete by the explosion of information available these days.

I was active on the Foreign Language Forum, the Masonry Forum, the Netherlands Forum and the Cancer Forum. I was on the forum staff of the last three, but I don't visit any of them any more. They're either literally gone or effectively gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:38 pm:

I cant imagine liveing in a house with a wooden roof. That is different.I remember Hugo blew my nieghbors new shingle roof off his house.He had 2 layers of shingles nailed over the original wooden shingles,that was all that was left on the house.Cost him a good bit to go back and tear that mess off and replace it.
All that money he "saved" by nailing over the old roof,got spent anyway.
We just had a 30 year roof with a new type ventalation system put on a month or so ago.
Archetectural shingles good for 130 mph wind.They should hang on good for what weather we have here.

The Abreviations are handy when you kaint spell also.:>)
:>) means you are laughing when you type something and it is meant to be funny or sarcasitc.
What aggrovated me was the 10 codes when I was a volunteer fireman.10-4 and 10-17 and so on.
Why not just say,"Ok" or "I am in route"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:04 pm:

I can't wait for a good hail storm to pass thru just to see people's vinyl siding turn into mass condominiums for birds. That crap should never have been invented. It sure helped to sell a lot of garbage homes though.

The shingles on our place are 22 years old now and not looking too bad. I think we've had 4 tornadoes pass thru town since about '93 and I've been lucky enough to just have to replace 3 or 4 shingles each time.

YMMV

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:34 pm:

I have complete plans to expand and rebuild my 20x20 garage, but I can't seem to get started. Meanwhile, its roof leaks so bad I leave the T outside when it rains.

I have a stack of Spanish tile I could re-roof with, but I'm afraid the extra 4,000 pounds would collapse it. As is, it depends on the termites holding hands.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration