1923 Ignition location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1923 Ignition location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:20 pm:

I just bought a 1923 Touring car. The ignition coil box is mounted directly to the engine. I'm new to this, but thought the coil box is located behind the firewall. There are holes in the firewall where I would expect the insulator tubes to be. From the number cast in the block, the engine appears to be from 1918.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jkcallin on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:39 pm:

You have a 26-27 coil box. Your coils should be inside the car on the firewall. Check the number stamped above the water inlet on the left side of the block to determine the year of the engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 02:42 pm:

Mike
well that sounds like a lot of cars you find out there. Just why do you think it is a 23? Starter? Generator (not likely if it has a 18 block)? Steel or wooden firewall? Battery box in the frame? The engine mounted coil box sure is typical 26-7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 03:01 pm:

Set yerself down for some good reading Mike and check out the MTFCA Encyclopedia. It explains changes from year to year and it should help you decide what year your Touring is.

Regards,
Garnet

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 05:44 pm:

Mike
If your looking to return your car to the original original coil box there is a very nice one at at eBay item number 150317457895.
If you do buy it install a FunProjects wood replacement kit and you will be set for as long as you live.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:35 pm:

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I went back and checked again. I am guessing the numbers "02-27" stamped in the head should have clued me in, or does that not indicate the year? I am still going through all of the pieces & parts I was given with the car (just bought it last weekend) and may yet find I have an older head in one of the boxes.

The serial number on the engine block is 2909xxx, which is where I got the idea the engine is 1918 or 1919. The vehicle registration from 1979 matches the engine stamping ID.

I'm fairly convinced the vehicle itself is a 1923 because it is identical in appearance to a 1925. The metal high wall firewall has the holes for the insulators.

Les makes a great point. It does have a starter and a generator. That makes the serial number a mystery to me. I don't know this for a fact, but I think I read somewhere that the factory would provide replacement blocks without the s/n. By the way, the generator cut-out says "(something) Projects, St. Charles IL". I'm not sure if that is what Ron was asking about, though.

I would like to get the ignition box back into it's correct position.

Thanks for your time and input. Happy Holidays to you and your families.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave_Sosnoski on Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 09:21 pm:

Mike,

The 1923's still used the low firewalls, initially they were wood and changed to metal around April of 1923. If it has a high firewall it is either a 24 or a 25 model year. The 24 model year started in August of 1923, so it could be a 24 with a high firewall built in 23. I've heard that in some places they titled the vehicle when it was sold, so in this case the title would be a 23 even though it is a 24 model year.

Regarding the 1918 serial number on an engine with a starter - who knows. Engines got swapped around. If a Ford dealer installed a new engine, they were suppose to stamp the original engine number on the new block to preserve the vin number of the car. That engine could be a replacement that was installed in a 1918 car. If that was done in the 20's, it would have been a starter engine as I believe all blocks at that time were starter blocks. Then at some later time the engine was swapped out to your car. Don't know if this is really the case, but who knows what was done over the last 80 years.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Augustinovich on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 08:23 am:

Hi Mike;
Sounds like you have just started in the greatest hobby there is. Welcome to the group. The next you have to do is post pictures and show this car off on the forum. We really enjoy photos. You will find over time this is the best bunch of people there is. What part of the country do you live in? Hope our paths cross someday.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Augie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 08:36 am:

Welcome to the hobby, Mike! Sounds like you have Fun Projects cutout.

By the way, Augie, where are you in Indiana?

Mike Perigo
Linton, IN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hall on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:20 pm:

Thanks to everyone for responding. I'm currently cleaning out the garage to give myself some elbow room, and I can post some pics. Meanwhile I am trying to check the history of this car. I was told there were three owners before me, and the first owner (that we know of) was a priest who drove it down in the Yucatan.

I am in sunny (relatively speaking) Mesa AZ, winter home of the Chi-town Cubs, 'dem bums.

Regards,

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 06:38 pm:

If the numbers "02-27" are raised digits CAST into the rear of the head they indicate the month (February) and day (27th) but Ford did not bother to notate the year in these type markings.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration