TT jack handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: TT jack handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 10:37 pm:

What is the authentic TT jack handle? I've been told they used the large "spoon" tire iron, or a large folding iron. I ordered one from "Bobs" and they sent me one of those little flat iron straps w/ about a 30 degree bend on the end that I'm sure is for a car. The photo in the tools section in my book is very poor.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas!

Thanks, John
PS I finally figured out how to post a photo on my profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 10:47 pm:

Great truck John. As far as the jack handle, I just looked at the tools section in a 1927 parts book, and the jack handle is straight, and is the same length as the TT tire iron. The part that goes into the jack, and the handle appear to be the same width, with a raised portion in between for about an inch or so. The part number is TT-3391X.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 11:05 pm:

TT-3391X had a twist on one end,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 09:20 am:

The handle on the car jack has a similar number, 3391-C, but it's part of the jack, not separate.

John, I hope my truck looks that good when it's done. You have the deluxe model (with a battery).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:00 am:

John,

What does a Lincoln aux tranny look like? What extra gears does it give?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John berch on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 11:57 am:

Andy I don't have a digital camera at the moment. I'll try to get you some pictures. It mounts back on the worm-drive. It has 3 speeds, I assume its over,under,and direct. I've never found any info on it so I'm not sure of this. It has a long linkage rod that hooks to a shift tower that's mounted just above the u-joint grease cup. It has an "H" pattern shift. It works well, you can shift on the move (on level ground} if everything is just right.I have had some red face moments as I rolled off on the shoulder to get back in gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:30 pm:

Here is a picture of the jack & handle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:55 pm:

Thanks to all of you for your information and especially for the picture, Mark. I think every old farm shed has got at least one model t jack in one form or another. My dad's old shed had 2 TT jacks piled in the corner but not one "Elusive TT Jack Handle". I've watched ebay for months and only became more confused. When I saw a 1990's ford pick up jack advertised as a model T jack, I began to realize, It's not a very good source for reference material.
Thanks again, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Boyers on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:12 pm:

John, As nearly as I can tell the handle is about 18" long with the twist about 4" from the rounded end. I do not know the thickness of the handle, but according to the slot in the Jack where it fits it could be up to 3/8". I think some have said it is 1/4". The extra thickness would give added strength to the handle. I too have looked for that one elusive handle in the odd pile of tools to no avail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:54 pm:

I made some ,but don't remember how thick they were. I still have a couple extras and some more material. That twist is a bear to do. I stamped part # in the ones I made and no one wanted them,so I haven't made any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:22 pm:

I had posted the dimensions - may have been for Jack - about a year or so ago. As I recall it was 5/16" stock. If I can figgure out where the handle is again I'll re-measure it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

I have the drawing,just can't remember where I put it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:53 pm:

Jack, Just yesterday I emailed a fellow on ebay, "Lizzie Meister", who on one of his items said he had lots of model t parts, and I asked him if he had a TT handle. He said he thought he had one. If he doesn't come through, I would be interested in one of your handles
Thank you, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:31 pm:

John,ok,just holler.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration