Neat old Photo.........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Neat old Photo.........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill_Robinson__Salty_Bottom_Al on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

Does anyone have this old photo in a larger version?Hay hauler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 09:41 pm:

HA! THAT, sir, is amazing! I'm amazed it isn't pictured doing a wheelie!!

Thanks for sharing this neat spectace with the rest of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:12 pm:

WOW!
A Model T Chia Pet ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:04 am:

I believe that picture was used in Floyd Clymer's book "Henry's Wonderful Model T"
But I think it was used somewhere else too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:34 am:

If I remember correctly it was on one of the posters at the Richmond Event in the banquet hall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George P. Clipner on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 03:00 am:

I remember seeing that photo in the Clymer book in the '60's.
That book started my interest in Flivvers. But it took awile to get one. Glad we got one now .

George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:02 am:

I believe the original is at the Benson Ford Library at the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:52 pm:

In one of the Clymer books [I think] there is a picture taken in Payne,[?] Ohio of an early T loaded down with people.This was done as a promotional stunt by the Ford dealer.I also have a framed copy of it.I can find neither.If someone has this picture handy could you please post it? Very interesting old picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:45 pm:

If I recall correctly, the load of hay is on a trailer similar to the Fruehoff design, not a TT truck. That would allow the load to be as close as it is to the cab of the vehicle and explains the length of the load. Width depends on the width of the rack beneath the load of hay. Impressive looking load but "hay" that's the way they stacked it on the wagons too. Note the "part" down the middle of the load. Most likely held down by a heavy rope; one you would not want to be straddling if it broke. Hay racks of the period typically had an A frame at the back of the wagon with what looked like a wagon pole held with a pin at the apex of the frame. This was brought down on top of the load and reefed down with a rope until it clamped the entire load of hay thus securing it to the hay rack. Guys got killed by that pole flying up if the rope in front let loose. Mind you, the driver was usually driving the team from the top of the load. A wise driver stayed well to one side on the load.

Somewhere, in one of the books most of us have, there's a picture of a TT chassis, sans seat or cab with a hay rack built behind the gas tank. Bare bones transport from the field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 07:48 pm:

The hay must be on a trailer as Warren notes. The car appears to be a Touring. Non-electric for sure.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration