Hyatt Roller Bearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Hyatt Roller Bearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 09:53 pm:

Here is my take on Hyattt roller bearings. I believe they are far superior to the "solid" roller bearings available new today.

The redeeming feature of the Hyatt bearings is that they are are very forgiving for misalignment. The "oil grooves" are an incidental feature formed as a consequence of the coil winding process of manufacture. These bearings are designed to flex as they rotate with no ill effects. In the solid roller is misaligned it can not flex and would tend to scrub as it rotates. The Ford rear axle is anything but pure in its alignment of bearings necessitating the forgiveness of the Hyatt bearing. The solid roller bearings are obviously cheaper to manufacture. If they were satisfactory, Ford would have put them in from the getgo and put the money in his pocket or reduced the price of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim in Indiana on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:05 pm:

You said it,Ted.This is what I was trying to convey but I couldn't find the right words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 02:54 am:

Would it be possible to make a "solid" bearing from a series of say 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch long segments threaded on to a carrier pin?

May flex better than a solid one, carry grease between the segments, and be cheaper to make than repro a real hyatt?

Leave this to the engineers to advise.

Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:29 am:

Adrian, then the carrier pin would have to flex since the solid roller sections would not. I guess one could open up the holes in the cage where the pins pass thru to allow the pins to float around. But then you have a tipsy cage, I don't know if it would work. The spiral rollers are really the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:19 pm:

Just use original Hyatts, they are not really hard to find good ones with only a little wear, when you add new axle shafts, and new hardened sleeves, these used Hyatts work fine. Don't use the cheap solid roller repros!

Here is a failed Hyatt roller, but you can see the 'ribbon' design in this view. The ribbon steel is wrapped to shape each round roller, it flexs with the load on it, and those solid rollers won't do that, they will flex out of the cage though!. Many reports of those repros coming apart at the cage and causing damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

While the old ones may still be easy to get here and there, someone could talk to the vendors and maybe they could go back to New Departure Hyatt.

Personal experience. A company I worked for had used a New Departure Hyatt bearing design for a zillion years. Unfortunately, as time went on they became the ONLY company that was still using this design and size. Non-Automotive application, but an application that is still a valid use of technology to this day and one that due to size, etc., does not have an off the shelf solution available from any other supplier.

NDH agreed to continue to manufacture this design on an 'as needed' basis and while I don't recall the minimum order quantity exactly, it was a very, very low number! [like <1000] The price did not go through the roof either.

Times change and business practices change, but I believe that NDH still offers this service as the parts suppliers to my old industry still carry them.

Just a thought.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration