Inner Front Hub Bearing Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Inner Front Hub Bearing Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:13 am:

I am attempting to replace the Ball Bearings in a (really rusty ugly packed with girt) Front Hub. I am looking for paticipants experiences and what tools you have fabricated to Pull or Push the Inner Bearings out.

I can see the two "slots" but am unable to get a punch in place and deliver enough UMPH to get them to budge. I have already removed the outer bearings with a punch and a hammer (Thanks RDR - Yes it was the one you bought me at Sycamore Steam Show - inside joke).

I do have a large press but not a way to push securely in the right plane.

I am surely not the first one to encounter this, but I could not find any information in a Forum Search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:38 am:

I place the hub in a vise and put the slots hoizonal. Then use a long drift or a 3/8 piece of rod and alternatly tap on each side at the back of the ball bearing cup. It is sometimes slow,but eventually it will start to move .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 12:55 am:

P.S. Chuck,don't use the felt seal with modern dirt seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:50 pm:

OK I beat and beat and beat - cant get the thing to budge.

Has anyone built up something to fit in the slots that will allow you to press them out??

Thanks for the advice Jack, I have the modern seals on my 26 RrPu and they work well, I am going to have to order a set to put on these hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 01:53 pm:

Try a little heat on the backside of hub?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim dimit on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 02:02 pm:

If you have access to an arc welder, run a bead around the inside of the race, then let it cool. This will shrink the race and make it easier to tap out. I have even seen them fall out when they cool down. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

If the race is NG and you don't want to save it, run a bead part way around the face of it with the arc welder. Let it cool and then remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken parker on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 02:18 pm:

Chuck,
The two slots in my early hub ('13/'14) are part of the hub and don't come out. However, I'm not sure what year you are talking about. If you put a roller inner bearing cup up to the hub does it fit? I put rollers in mine and the inner cup was the dickens to get all the way seated.
Also, the neoprene seals were too small for the hubs and I put the Prudden seals back in with new felt seals. You may also need a thin washer where the nut tightens so you can get the cotter in the '13/'14 hub.
Just what I did,
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis M. Haworth on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:12 am:

Chuck
These are three tools that I have used - each with some success.
The one on the bottom is a modified brake adjustment spoon. The middle is a modified sheet metal cutter for an air tool. The top is a modified pry bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nelson Jones on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:09 pm:

I took a old screwdriver with the shaft running through a wooden handle. I bent the blade end & ground it down a little to get on the race edge. I also sanded the side off of the wood handle to clear the hub. I took out several inner & outer races with good sucess. Nelson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:03 pm:

You can just heat the race with a torch a couple times and let it cool and it should knock out.
Some can be a booger after they have spun in the hub.
The section of race avaliable for beating on between those notches aint big,so I would suggjest doing something else before they chip off and are harder to get out.
I have took a Dremel Tool with a cutter disc on it and cut a groove in the race to cut it in 2 basicly.Easy to knock out then.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration