2008 Holiday Motor Excursion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 2008 Holiday Motor Excursion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank B on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

here are some pictures of this years event.
No snow but low 40's at 8AM, however it warmed up to 70 before the last stop for dessert.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fastbrass/

Over 130 cars! Great way to spend a winters day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

From the look of the hills in the distance, this must be a So Cal event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:35 pm:

It was an excellent showing this year. There seemed to be an increase in the number of Model T Fords participating too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FrankB on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:47 pm:

UPDATE:
not 130 but, OVER 170 !!! Cars
lots of T's thanks to all you T guys that attended.
Yes this IS a yearly SoCal HCCA event

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 03:11 am:

Thanks for the nice pix, FrankB. I believe it was a record turnout.

Neighbor Gene Carrothers and I trucked up the 605 again this year. It was 36 degrees when we left home, and I lost a glove overboard trying to get a pic on the widest part of the 405.

Gotta' put "Wash windshield" on next year's to-do list, along with tethers for gloves and camera, and ear muffs.

Gene's car wasn't running its best on the way up this morning, so I got this pic as I was flying by him. That's about 66. He held a solid 63 on the way home.

The pix are less shaky this year than last. Dunno if it's the newer, better camera, more daylight, or the Dyna-beads in the tires.

More to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 03:51 am:

Very Cool everyone. I hope to attend next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:46 am:

Yes, too bad you missed it, Scott. You were warned..

Dan Haynes, of this Forum, and his friend from Lodi (or loady, as my sons used to say.), came over just as I was cranking up for the tour.

I was alone on the first leg of the tour, and noticed Richard Gould was also alone in his nifty 10 Touring, so I begged a ride from him for the rest of the tour, and left the ol' brass picup. I could have offered to haul him, but I'd rather burn his gas than mine. Besides, Richard had hauled his T near 500 miles to the event. . I really felt naked without the seatbelts, though.

He uses a clock for a speedometer, but the car really isn't that slow... In fact, it reflects his expertise at things mechanical, in spite of a career as a dreaded tax man.

I guess I'm keep good company, as my friends drive much nice cars than mine. Gene and Richard are ready for lunch at El Torito.

Gene, Evan Mason from Paso Robles, Julie Ginesi, ex-President of LBMTC and new First Lady, etc. . Richard must be thinking of his drive home..

More to come. Don't want this post to pop.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:13 am:

Ralph, you were good company on the tour. I still owe you for chipping in my share of the food. It was really a fun event, in spite of the drive there and back. Will do it again for sure. You just can't beat Pasadena weather and the friendly people. Leno was there driving a Packard. He's very approachable, a regular guy. To everyone's credit, he wasn't pestered. Judging from the last photo, it must be time for medication. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:55 am:

Glad you made it home ok, Richard; you must have driven straight through. Slow down, speed kills. . Just remind yourself that you're retar'd, and it's better to smell the daisies than be pushing them up.

Oh, Dan Haynes, in the pic, was driving a nice old Studebaker, but I didn't get a chance to see it up close, let alone ride in it. . Too many neat cars; too little time.

Gene Carrothers and son Chris.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 04:23 pm:

Ralph - Thanks for the very nice pictures, but I have a question: What do you mean - "Dreaded Tax Man"?????????? What's so bad about doing taxes? (grin) I sure wish I could have been there too.

Keith Gumbinger, CPA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

I've already written too much about Richard's career, Keith. He wasn't a tax man like you.

Have you been quoted more in the media since the one instance I caught last year?

Does this T sum up your view of the economy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:14 am:

Hi Ralph - Yes, that T does remind me of the economy - notice the three tool boxes on the back and the Model A manifolds on the engine. That's kind of like all the different ways to fix things being recommended for the economy.

Yes, I'm quoted every time the interest rates change, but lately they haven't quoted me by name as much. You do know that the other guy and me just happen to have the same name, right?

Best wishes, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:35 am:

Keith,
Do you have a 1 piece crankshaft back into that 1914 touring, yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:50 am:

Hi Jim - No, it's not done yet, but is in process and should be done for sure by late spring.

We're going on the Kanab Tour in June and I'm debating if I want to take the '14 Touring or our '26 Roadster Pickup. I understand that the temp is 100 to 110 in Kanab that time of the year. Such decisions...

There was a guy at Richmond last summer who had a complete extra engine for his T in his enclosed trailer, just in case. I wish I had done that.

Fordially, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DMC on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:58 am:

Keith- the reason there are A manifolds on that engine is because it's an A engine! Note the dist, water pump and bolts around the valve chamber cover.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:03 am:

Thanks Dan - I didn't look that close. At least the driver had it there and hopefully had a good time. The weather looked much nicer than here in the far North woods!

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkeypawspics/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

Thank you to all who post photos of this event. Even though most of the cars are not T's I always enjoy seeing this event posted. I sure many others feel the same way about it. This event and the OCF at GFV are always two events that bring out some very nice cars.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration