Brake Rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Brake Rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 09:45 pm:

I have just purchased a new set of brake rods for my 1913 touring.
These rods have a bend in the rear portion but run straight to the other end without any bends. Is this correct.
The rods I took off the car had a bend towards the front where they connected to the brake lever. Were these intended to be bent or were my old rods bent incorrectly.
Also, at what distance from the Y in the rear radius rod yoke should I install the brake rod supports. This probably has a bearing on whether the rods are bent or straight at the front.
Thanks
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:06 am:

Garry,
The following answers are based on the original brake rods that go to the inside shoes.
I have an original set on our 1913 touring. The answer to your first question is yes. The second question......yes, your old rods were bent incorrectly. My brake rod supports are approx. 11" forward from the center of the forged Y. This location may vary some. Our 13 also has original splash aprons. Some re-production splash aprons have a greater flair at the rear, some I have see have less. The amount of flair, can have a siginificant effect on splash apron to brake rod clearance. You may need to adjust the location accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:26 am:

Les
Thanks. Your answers eliminate my confusion. The reproduction rods are almost identical to the originals, except the yoke cleat at the backend is a little more rounded where it is welded to the rod. However very subtle difference
Garry

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration