Steering gear problem.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Steering gear problem.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine! on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:15 pm:

OK....here's another newbie question. As I'm continuing to progress through this '27 Coupe...I make new discoveries every day.

The hollow tube that supports and surrounds the steering shaft is bent. It has a slight but significant bend in about the center of it's length. I'd say it is a gentle bend about 1/4" inward from the bottomside. The steering shaft is also bent...but that should be an easy fix.

My question is ....Is it possible to straighten that hollow tube? Is it necessary to straighten it.Or is it supposed to be bent?! The bend is quite slight and the mechanism still works, Should I be looking for another part? Is there some trick to straightening that tube?
Thanks in advance!
You guys have been invaluable already!

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:12 pm:

John
I would look for another tube/column The 26-7 style seems to be quite available. I know I have some but I live in Canada so not so convenient for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:23 pm:

There shouldn't be any bends to the steering shaft or housing. A picture would be great to see what the bend looks like. I'm not sure what "slight but significant bend" means. A 1/4" doesn't sound too bad, but straightening the housing may be tricky to keep it from kinking or collapsing. The steering shaft can be staightened easily, but my concern would be, is there a risk of failure to the shaft? Probably not, but that's one of those things that your going to have to determine what you feel most comfortable with. I'm not sure where you live but I think you could probably find a replacement column easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 11:25 pm:

Marine,

Contact me - I think I have a 26-27 tube.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:56 am:

Thanks...Here are two pics of my steering housing. What do you think? Bob, I sent you an email.
John

Housing 1Housing 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:48 am:

Well, for starters, that's NOT a '26 - 7 steering column. They have a square base rather than a round one which make's them different from the earlier models. They really aren't very interchangeable. How 'bout posting a photo of the firewall area of the car just so we're sure what that looks like too. The bend may be the result of someone trying to fit that steering column into the newer body which just doesn't work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:50 am:

By the way, better check the lower steering bracket that bolts to the chassis. You may have the wrong one of those too. Looks like a Monday...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:00 pm:

Wow, thanks Warren I'll get you a pic ...

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:

Here's some more pics of the firewall, dash, and lower bracket...thanks for the tip. I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

Thanks,
John

firewall
dash
bracket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:12 pm:

That's why it's bent. Somebody replaced the steering column with an earlier one and had to bend it to get it down under the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 01:06 pm:

John

Here are some pics of a '26 steering column in a runabout, the dash is different than your sedan but the column is the same. The '26-'27 has a square base to fit the cowl opening, the sedan also has a different cowl to column support strap than the open cars.

Inside of body showing the 'square' base at the lower end of the steering column

Support strap on cowl, it bolts to the cowl and the steering column base bolts to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 03:31 pm:

Thanks,

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:57 pm:

Yep, your cowl is definitely '26-7. Just wanted to make sure since lots of parts sometimes come together and are misdated by a previous owner.

I see the lower steering bracket has a C suffix. Guys, I'm not near a parts book so correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't he need a D revision part?

Used to know these things off the top of my head. Too many haircuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:00 pm:

He needs a 3539-D st.gear bracket assy for rdster, touring car, coupe, 2 dr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

JohnD I think you are correct that the 1926 – 27 style USA Model T Tourings, Roadsters, Coupes, and Tudor Sedans all used the 3539D "PART number" steering post bracket. [The Fordor used part # 3539E and the TT trucks used 3539C and the earlier cars mostly used 3539B from 1925 going back until 1912 where 1911 adds some other options. And all this is for the LHD cars]. Below is the section from Bruce McCalley’s “Comprehensive Parts CD” [available from vendors and: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/mccalley.htm which contains his “Price List” compilation.

But the Ford Price List part number is often NOT the same as the number that you will find cast into a part. In this case the number you will probably see on the 1913-1925 steering post bracket (the one that attaches to the frame) will probably be T-932B with the number cast in slightly different places depending on the year. And for the 1926-27 Roadster, Touring, Tudor, and Coupe the cast number will probably be T-932C. That is based on a review of pages 29-30 of Gail Rodda’s “Model T Ford Parts Identification Guide” and my old eyes (new glasses should arrive next month). The TT truck part probably has TT-932. But I do NOT know what the 1926-27 Fordor bracket [also used on the 1926-27 car chassis only option] has cast into it. That may be in one of the previous forum threads – we can look later or if someone has a 1926-27 Fordor – please let us know what number and letters is cast into it. Note usually the cast number is the part number for the casting. If you look at the illustration from Bruce’s Price List of parts under part 3562 you will see the remark “F/N 932B is iron casting less bushings” which stands for “Factory Number T-932B is the iron steering post bracket that attaches to the frame but does not yet have the bushings installed.” And a few numbers later they explain that F/N T-996 is F/N-932B after the bushings are installed. That is why you would normally see T-932 with a letter for the casting.

If I understand all of that correctly I believe the bracket John (Marine1) shows reads T-932C and in that case is correct for his 1926 Coupe. Disclaimer: I am human, don’t own a 1926-27, and could easily mess this up. But hopefully someone will chime in there and confirm it is ok, close with adjustment, or the theory needs to be tossed out.

John, Congratulations on your new Coupe – I think it will make you a great T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration