Proper Replacement Capacitors for Model T Ignition Coils

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Proper Replacement Capacitors for Model T Ignition Coils
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 09:15 pm:

Once again I have been contacted by a fledgling Model T coil rebuilder (this time by one who resides overseas and only makes matters worse) and is frustrated in that effort by a Model T parts supplier (who shall remain unnamed) selling the wrong type replacement capacitor replete with capacitor replacement instructions with incorrect written capacitor specifications.
Just to reiterate, the Model T coil requires a replacement capacitor with uncommon and unique specifications to with withstand the characteristics of the ignition coil circuit design.
Let it suffice to say that if you are rebuilding Model T coils make sure you buy the correct replacement capacitor.
Remember Ron the Coilman's first rule; If the replacement capacitor is small and easy to get into the coilbox it is inappropriate for that service. Do not be fooled by people who have limited electrical background.
The correct Model T ignition coil replacement capacitor can be obtained from Correct Model T Coil Replacement Capacitor
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:20 pm:

I neglected to mention that Lang's Old Car Parts also carries the correct replacement coil capacitor.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:09 pm:

Ron;
I wanted to check and see how much just to do a tune up on a set of coils. Not looking for a rebuild. Contact me off line if you do not want to post here.
Thanks
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:00 pm:

Mark
You may contact me during the day when I am in the shop at 859-881-1677 and we can discuss.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:01 am:

Ron,

Has there been any improvement in the quality of

points you are buying in the last year or so?

If so does all of the supplyers have them.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:55 pm:

Bob's in Rockford, IL is the sole manufacturer and supplier of new Model T Ford coil points as far as I know, and they have been for a long time. I believe they own all the remaining tooling and rights to the KW brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:02 pm:

Les
Quality about the same. Adam is correct about the manufacturer.
Ron the Coilman

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration