Chris Becker's 1917 Model T Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Chris Becker's 1917 Model T Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:46 am:

Chris and Carston
This is my son, Carston, and I with the starts of my 1917 Model T Speedster last March.

Becker Family with Speedster
Chris, Carston, and my wife, Melissa.

I will post some more about my speedster soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:56 am:

1917 speedster body picture
Hopefully will be building this out of aluminum next summer. It is a copy of a Morton and Brett.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:13 am:

rear veiw of 1917 speedster

Ruckstell rear end with 2.77:1 ring and pinion and Warford overdrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:25 am:

Wow
A 2.77 gear AND Warford OD!
Anyway nice looking car and I like the 4 wheel brakes.
I can see why you make progress with daddy's little helper!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:29 am:

Very well designed and looks nice and safe.

tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:44 am:

Chris,

That is great! And even better that the family is involved. Keep it fun – especially for Carston and your wife. Beautiful work – and I would assume you already know about the Northwest Vintage Speedsters at: http://www.nwvs.org/ but if not – you are very close to their area.

I was really glad to see you also have a touring car listed in your profile. That will give you the options of taking just two or the entire family. Thanks for posting – it is so encouraging to see families doing things together. You are building a great looking speedster but more importantly also building relationships. We look forward to seeing more pictures in the future – and especially seeing Carston when he gets his driver’s license and solo’s (ok – you may want him to solo in the touring – until he gets the basics down.) Again thanks so much for sharing.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Mode T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:00 pm:

Only one thing to say; take me for a ride!

Is this only T with rack & pinion steering? Very cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

Thanks for the comments. Hap I've been a member of the NWVS off and on since I was a kid. Our Family has been involved in the Rose City Model T Club since it started in the 50's and 60'sand Tin Tillie our touring has been driven all over the place.Tin Tillie

I need to get some more current pic of it since these were taken I have torn apart and modified some steering parts off a Subaru to get rack and pinion steering gear to work. Also the front part of the body is mocked up,using a 26-27 cowl and doors, 31 Model A hood, that tall radiator and trying to find the right size Motorcycle fender to fit. I hope to fire the engine this spring but we will see.

Too many projects going on. My speedster has kind of taken back burner this winter. We have been helping Clayton with his '26 speedster.Carston and Clayton's speedster
My High school car, a 1963 Corvair is in our paint shop (no waiting for the snow to clear to move it to the other building for paint!) getting a fresh coat of paint so the family has a cool looking car to keep up with the hot rod club that I am president of. A lot of them drive lots faster then Tin Tillie can keep up with. Just got the 1917 Hupmobile, "Whooper", back up and running after a magneto fried the condenser and needed rebuilding. Also did a valve job on my '48 Dodge Power Wagon, which by the way is still not running right so I need to fix it this winter as well. Too many projects but We like it that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:07 pm:

The late JD, Jim Drumm, a pioneer on this Forum ten years ago, had put Rack & Pinion on his TT, but I don't think he ever drove it on the streets of Springville, Calif.

Chris, what do you plan to use for flex on the steering shaft to R&P? Early Pinto had basically a heavy cable, but the rodders say it's unsafe. I looked into R&P for the Speedster, but happily settled for modren Ford, 37-48, with extended pitman arm to original draglink for 10:1.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 02:45 pm:

rack &pinion

Old picture from mocking up friction shock absorbers. I know zip ties are not strong enough!!! Rack still needs to pinned or bolted to front axle so it won't move from side to side.

Subaru uses splined shaft and u-joints as well a d-shaped slide (rod inside a tube) has a stop built in that allows the steering shaft to flex only so far. It is located between the frame and front axle. We loaded the suspension to what we thought could be like maximum compression and the unloaded it and made the slip shaft slightly longer so it wouldn't come undone (tested it with my dad who is about 260lbs jumping up and down on the front end to simulate going over an very rough road!)Top of the column is modified to accept a 14"aluminum spider and wood rimmed steering wheel off of an unknown make of car that we found at a swap meet last year. I'll be at the shop today I'll snap some pictures and post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 03:49 pm:

That is a beauty Chris! I am very jealous!

Are the disc brakes all around your design? I don't need them at all four corners, but I would'nt mind having rear disc's. Is that a 26-27 rear axle?

Could you post some close-up photos of the rear brakes?

Hell, just post more pictures of it, period!

Very nice!

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAREL J. LEIPOLD on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

Laddie

Chris - That looks like a Sheltie Tri Color in the front seat. Here is our Sheltie. My "speedster" is still a pile of parts (Ruxtel - wire wheels - torpedo column- Munsie or Warford tranny - Rajo head -Atwater dist. - twin bucket seats -choice of frames and non starter or starter engines and lots of work).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:44 pm:

Chris, first off, very nice chassis! One thing I notice is the steering arms ahead of the axle are pointing in , towards each other. My understanding is that when they are in front, they should point out, putting the tie rod connection close to the wheel. The distance between the tie rod connections should be wider than the distance between the king pins.

I'm not sure how it would effect the handling set up the way you have it. I think it would make the tires scrub when turning. I don't know if this would make for squirrely handling on a light car?

If you don't get what I'm trying to say, do a search for the "Ackerman principal". It has to do with the tires running in different diameter arcs when turning. I also was wondering about the hookup of the steering column. Looking forward to seeing more pictures, again, very nice work. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:41 pm:

I was too impressed by the front disc brakes to notice the steering arms.

BTW. Beautiful job Chris. I saw it on the NWVS Site. I was hoping to find out more about it. please fill us in on the brakes...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:51 pm:

Oooops... I forgot this...

http://www.davehaughey.ca/ack1.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:45 pm:

This is posted by Melissa Becker...
The dog in the front seat is Boomerang a black tri Border Collie. He is our shop dog and co-pilot. If he even hears an old car he is right there volunteering or rather begging for a ride. If he could talk he would say "take me, take me I claim shot gun". Boomerang and his mom are both Certified Animal Assisted Therapy Dogs with Dove Lewis and volunteer at retirement community and an adult day care. I have more about the Border Collies on my website at http://getthepicturewebdesign.com/Critters.htm. I have to update Boomerang's resume as it is a copy of his mom's. But back to cars...Boomerang and Quinaby in 1948 PW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:53 pm:

A neighbor's border collie goes crazy barking and chasing whenever he hears the ol' brass picup with straight exhaust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Becker on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:20 am:

rear veiw

Old picture but it works...

Unfortunately that is the first thing everyone notices about the front end of my speedster. I just haven't got around to switching them from side to side yet as the Ackerman angle is definitely screwed up...

I didn't get over for the pictures of the steering on my car as we had to take my father into the er today so maybe if things are better tomorrow while I am at the shop I'll do it.

Rear axle is a large drum Ruckstell...

Brakes: Now that is a deep subject...rims of course are 30x3.5 Houck #4. I Built a copy of the hubs as I don't have enough money to buy a good set of hubs so I built my own very similar to the originals and modified them bolt up to Model T hubs.

The disc brakes are bolted directly to the Model T hubs. Rotors are from a 1983 Nissan pickup and have the same bolt pattern as wood wheel hubs from model T. Caliper is from 1997 Mercury Mountaineer / Ford Explorer, flexible brake line from same. All bracketry is custom built and fabricated in our shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:54 am:

Thanks Chris for the info on the brakes. But take care of the Dad. Happy new year to you and yours. Lets see more later.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration