Stop Light Switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Stop Light Switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:06 pm:

I need some opinions for a stop light switch. I am looking at the current Mac's catalog they offer two.
One that clamps to the Bendix and the other uses the screws from the transmission inspection cover.

Seems to me that the second would be more of a pain when taking the inspection cover off.

Any thoughts or alternatives I should consider?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:44 pm:

The one that clamps to the Bendix has the problem of the screws come loose when you install the wires, and there is a contact inside that grounds out. The one that fastens to the inspection plate screws is hard to install when you have Rocky Mountain brakes.

I have one on one of my T's that is easy to install and to use. I don't know where it came from because it was on the car when I got it. It is fastened by one of the transmission inspection plate screws and has a spring between the switch and the brake pedal, so that it can stretch when you apply the brake.

Another idea which I have seen is a Chevy stop light switch with a bracket that connects to the starter bolts. That kind of switch is on unless you push on it. When the brake pedal is pushed down the switch operates. When the pedal is all the way up, it pushes the switch and turns it off.
I don't have that kind, but have seen a previous post that shows how to make the bracket.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 04:53 pm:

Jeremy, The one that screws to the transmission cover is the better switch & much simpler,have no idea how long it's been on the the car, but it's never failed. I've never had a problem getting the Transmission door off or on. The 22 has the repop of the original that goes on the Bendix, it's pretty cheesy & I've been through 3 or 4.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

Another alternative is the good old motorcycle stop switch, simple to install ( if you dont have a brake light switch pre existing ) no holes to drill into metal or cast parts, simply circlip around the brake pedal , the body is fastened to the underside of the floor board inline with the pedal, run the wire to the battery earth and power, run the wire to the light at the back , Presto instant brake light.
The system is that easy , the switch works when the cable is pulled from the body making a contact, light comes on , release the cable , brake light goes off.
If you need a pic of how it looks from up under the car let me know, it cant be seen from inside of the car, and hard to spot from under it !!!!
Cheers David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:34 pm:

Where circlip , add large split pin !!! Doooh !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 07:22 pm:

On my drivers, I use a $5 Model A brake lite switch and a twisted peice of safety wire to the pedal. It is attached to a transmission cover screw by means of a hole drilled where comfortable in the switch attachment plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kenneth on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

Jeremy

I have the one that goes on the inspection plate it was an old one that came with the car ,but cleaned it out and haven't had any problems at all.It is a simple and straight forward switch that does the job well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeremy Locke on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:56 pm:

Thanks for all the ideas. Gives me more to think about. I had the bendix type, it stopped working can't seem to get it going any more.

David would you mind sharing a picture?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:18 am:

I have used both types and not been really satisfied. In the end I spent $5 at NAPA, made a simple bracket and is operated by a tab welded to the arm operting the rocky Mountain Brakes. It works great. Let me know if you need a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:48 am:

Hello all,

Hmmmmmm cant get an upload at this particular time , l'll try later

Cheers David Dare Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Spence on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:04 am:

Happy new year to all T friends .

I have one attached to the bendix cover with long throw switch which seems to be fairly old and like most things old appears to work well , the biggest problem I seem to have is purchasing a 6 volt lamp bright enough for the accesory STOP light seems to be the standard fitting nothing is bright enough to see thro the glass , any ideas appreciated .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:41 am:

Here goes another attempt.

just watch out for the oil drips.....T's don't leak !!

big thanks to David N for his assistance in getting these pics uploaded

Small 8"LED brake light

motor cycle brake switch

Floor boards are still moveable to allow access to the trans cover by the slipping of the spring from the switch off of the split pin or what ever you use to fasten to the brake pedal.

Hope this helps in your decision on braking lights, may l suggest a small LED hides when not in use, BUT gives a big light when braking.

Best regards David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:10 am:

I used an "Indian" Royal Enfield motorbike stop switch. Mounted it on the chassis frame using a spare hole :-) and ran a wire to the brake pedal.
Don't forget a spring in there too - attached to the pedal is a spring, attached to the spring is a wire, attached to the wire is the stop light switch (sounds like a song!).
Advantage of fixing to the chassis is that the set up is not disturbed when moving the floor boards.
Cheers
Adrian
(Installed on a right hand drive TT)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Wellman on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:50 am:

My transmission cover switch works well on a 1914. I put quick connects on the wires so taking the cover off isn't a hassle and bought two longer screws at the the hardware store for the cover since between the oil strainer and the stop switch the originals were just a little short.

Rick

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration