Question for any Model AA owners

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Question for any Model AA owners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 08:56 pm:

A 1930 AA with the bango type rearend and going to assume a standard gearing, what could be a top speed? While rebuilding the truck is there any part I should really pay attention and care to? Like the brake system, tranny gears, steering box mount etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:21 pm:

I had a friend with a '28 AA and high speed rear end. 40 MPH was about all it would comfortably do. He told me it was OK to do 40, but frankly it felt like I was pushing it a little hard, so I chose to do a little less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:09 pm:

thank you Hal. thats what I was afraid of. SLOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:34 pm:

New brakes, balanced parts and a high revving four should do wonders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:35 pm:

Chin up tyrone, I had a 63 tonner 223, 4 speed w/ granny, about 50 and it was wound up tight. 35 years It's senior and only 10 mph difference, not bad! You have allow for the "style Factor"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:23 pm:

Tyrone
Yes 40 is about it. I have a line on a counterweighted C crank if that would be of interest. Give that pressure oil and you can rev a little harder.
The brakes on the '30 AA I had were great especially running empty, certainly you could lock up all 4 corners (6 tires, mine had duals) if you had too. Mine was a true '30 and had bigger brakes than the '29 (which I believe only had car front brakes)
Does yours have a 4 speed?
There is fellow in Texas who makes a conversion to put a 5 speed (OD top) transmission (BW 5 speed I believe) in a model A. I looked really hard at and would have put one in if I had kept the truck. I was also going to hog out the main bearings and put in a counter balanced C crank with pressure oil. Anyway a new owner came along and saved me the bother!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Erfert, Flagstaff, AZ on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:39 pm:

This may not have anything to do with the thread but, I am on Long Isand in the Bahamas visiting my daughter and son-in-law. After getting the grand tour I asked if there was any old cars of interest here. My daughter said she was waiting for us to come as she had grown up with my parts and stuff all over the garage in Wisconsin, and had found some vehicles melting into the jungle here. We went, chopped into the jungle and found what I believe to be a AA which has been lying here since WWII or the fifties. Engine still is there and AC spark plugs still in place. Will never be restored as this is real rust.
Just wanted to say, they are still out there if you look hard. Will next hit the JUNK yard to the South if the dogs are chained. PS no history yet of the AA.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:55 pm:

We have an early '30 AA with a standard rear end (bevel gear) and transmission. Top speed is probably 30, but its much more comfortable at 25 - and it will pull stumps like no body's business down in granny gear. An auxillary transmission and higher gear ratio on the rear will speed things up a bit, maybe 40 max and 35 comfortable.

Had a full load of landscape timbers in it last year which barely sagged the springs (its got helpers on it which add another ton to the capacity), just took awhile getting them home. Don't buy an AA if you're looking for "fast", buy it for load-hauling (like an entire Girl Scout troop for a parade) and special interest - there aren't many around.

Very good discussion forum for the AA's at http://forums.aa-fords.com/ Neil Wilson in Colorado is the AA equivalent of Bruce M. for the Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:58 pm:

Tyrone,What is your tire size?? Do you have room under your rack for 8.25 X 20's?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:16 pm:

Regarding what to watch for on restoration of an AA, be prepared that everything weighs at least twice as much as an A or a T - first time I took the drums off to check the brakes it was hernia city. As mentioned above, the brake area on the AA's is significant and, provided the brakes are in good order, they will stop you easily. Engine is stock Model A, transmission on the '30/'31's is a four speed with reverse and a power take-off panel. They're pretty bullet-proof but most of the trucks have had a hard life so worth checking the state of things inside. Drive line has two universals which if worn can allow for some whipping of the intermediate shaft. Rear ends rarely have any problems.

Wheels are steel disc with split-rims, usual cautions when dealing with split-rims when replacing tires. The lugnut threads are reversed on the driver side, so check the thread direction when removing. Also, if the truck has duals on the rear, make certain the mating surfaces on the wheels are clean before tightening the lugs.

Bodies are shared with the Model A pickups, and beds are relatively easy to find, but may take quite a bit of work. There were also two sizes of wheelbase, a 113" and 151".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:21 pm:

This '28 AA picup at Bakersfield Swap a few years ago looked real nice for $14k, until I tried the cab on for size. It sold to somebody hopefully smaller than 6'.

I've read how trucks going up the passes out of the LA basin would go 3 to 4 mph.

www.RidgeRoute.com . . This route was in use from 1915 to 1933, when they built the 3-lane. . The modern pix on the site are with the Bakersfield T club.

We did the tour in '04 with LongBeach T club and an early V8 club.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:43 pm:

Well thank you all for the input. All good advice to a person who has never own an A let alone an AA. I'm driving 1,200 round trip this weekend to pick this truck up. Bought it off ebay.
Owner says it is only missing the intake maniford, no glass, one wheel has a tire and only two of the four rear wheels. Other then that its all there. Says the body though rusted, is not rusted through. Claims he is the third owner and has owned it for the past 40 years. Has title to prove.
Ken? I will get back with you on the tire size. I will also keep in mind the crankshaft. It has the slotted disk wheels. I believe it to be a late 30's model. I hope anyway.
Yes one of my questions was how many parts can be crossed from an A to an AA? I will assume that mostly only body parts will cross to an A pick up.
Angian thank you all. I'm really excited to get this truck even if it will be slow. Just means I will have to leave home the day before a car show to get there on time. Happy New Years to all and please watch for future questions and photos. tt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:52 pm:

I had a 29 AA with single [Budd] Wheels and while they had {SNAP RINGS],They Were Not [SPLIT RIMS]I also had a couple of 30-31 AA doodlebugs with [Budd Rims] for Dualls,[Snap Rings],but NO Split Rims. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

The AA from the Bakersfield swap is what's called an Express Delivery, basically an elongated pickup bed, but very hard to find with the extended running boards and rear fenders. Its a 1928 judging by the steel spoke wheels (which are different from A wheels and also hard to find). It should have the worm-drive rear.

All cab parts from the AA will swap with the A, as will the engine and lights, but thats about it. If yours is a '31 it should have the radiator shield which comes straight across without the A's widow's peak, a two-piece bumper with wider bars, or a one-piece bumper, and it may have a steel top rather than the usual soft top. Snyders and Brattons both carry some AA parts as well as A.

What kind of bed does it have, if any? With duals on the rear, it would have to be a platform, stake, tanker, or dump. Ours originally had a tank body on it, hence the helper springs, then had the tank switched for a stake body. It was used for hauling water and kerosene out to the steam combines in Iowa, then was converted to a stake truck when the springs got tired. We bought it from a bank in Iowa who got it in a foreclosure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

Slow is not all bad. I have a fully restored Model A car and a not so restored TT truck. Wanna talk slow? The TT is bone stock, 7.25:1 rear end and no auxilliary tranny. New engine got the cruise speed up to maybe 24 or so. However, I absolutely LOVE it. I would rather drive the TT than the A. I wouldn't change a thing. If someone were to GIVE me a set of high speed gears, yeah, I would probably put them in. But the last set I saw was $400. Granted, I live in the country outside a rather small town. Traffic is not bad around here. Perhaps if I lived in a major city, I would feel differently. But for me, the 20-25 mph speed is just fine. I can pull over if too many folks get backed up behind me. Usually, I don't have to. I'm so slow, they can usually pass with no problem. No different than getting behind a farm tractor. I'm just narrower. Don't worry too much about the slow speed. You will enjoy it and see many things you passed a million times and never noticed. You'll also find alternate routes to get out of traffic, like going through neighborhood streets instead of the main drag and going down some dirt roads you wouldn't have thought of taking otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:20 pm:

Ken's right, technically they're snap rings but the same cautions apply when putting on new tires - find a place that does truck tires and inflate them in a caqe.

I also agree with Hal, slow is kinda nice. Most folks smile and wave at an old truck. I only had one person give me the finger salute in 15 years as he roared around me - nice to see him having a chat with the local constabulary as I came around the next corner. I'd love to have a TT as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:50 am:

I would also like to have a TT someday but only because there were once 2 TT's on the DeLong farms and my Dad used to haull suger beets with them.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne in Malvern, PA on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:19 pm:

Here's a picture of our early '30 AA. Henry was using up the '28/'29 style cabs during the first couple months of '30 on the later running gear, yours will probably have the more rounded '30/'31 cab. The bed is technically a "stock rack" rather than a "stake rack" (4 side pockets rather than 6) and would have had much taller racks, but that wasn't very practical for us.

Early '30 AA

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration