Has anyone put model A wheels on a Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Has anyone put model A wheels on a Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By toim on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:30 pm:

I have a nice set of Model A spoke wheels and would like to mount them on my Model T. What is the procedure or what modifications are necessary? I thought I had seen this somewhere in the past and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By larry on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:37 pm:

I think you need adapters foe 28-9 wheels
other years ? i dont know
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

Yes, the parts vendors used to carry them and some of them may still have them. Lang's had them in the 2006 catalog but appears to have removed them from the 2008 catalog. You might want to check some of the other vendors as well as e-bay, placing a "Wanted" ad on the MTFCA swap site. etc. Often

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:48 pm:

I am currently doing this to my speedster and it worked great.You can find some model t wire wheel adapters that came out on the 26 and 27's as an option. Redrill them for the model a wheels and relocate the studs in the newly drilled holes and it works great.Oh yea you may have to turn .040-.050 off the snout of the hubs so they will slide all the way up in the model a wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tom on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:41 pm:

wow you guys are awesome thank you for the help. I will let you guys know how it goes. I have a 1928 Ford Model A Briggs steel body leather back sedan (restored). I am presently restoring a 1926 Model T turtleback roadster. If somebody else has a Model A simular to mine I would like to hear from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant Baker on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:00 am:

This is drifting away from T's, but did Briggs really make a steel bodied 4-door?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:21 am:

Grant,My Wife has a 29 Briggs Towne Sedan but it is far from all steel?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pep C. Strebeck on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:35 pm:

As far as the model A Leatherback is concerned, is it a 60-A, 60-B or 60-C?

I have a 60-A, which is the 1928 Fordor Leatherback, this one was originally Andalusite blue with a Seal brown top, dark blue suit with light brown shoes kinda thing. The fabric top on the Leatherback continued on down back to the belt line. The 60-B was the same, just with a black top instead of the seal brown. The Blinback/Steelback Fordor was the 60-C and was one of the 1929 models and the top did not continue on to the belt line, hence the title of Steelback or Blindback. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Hansen on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:49 pm:

Larry Noller made the wood to Model A adapters in the past. They were well made, but a little expensive, not sure he still makes them. Possibly this address will still work for contact

<cuttingedgeparts@townsqr.com>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:20 pm:

I'm in the process of putting Model A wheels on my Speedster. For the fronts, I'm using the Model A hubs, with the Model A inner bearings. I'll need to make a modification for the inner seal. I plan on attacking this later. Also with the "A" having a brake drum, and not needing it for the "T", there will be a bit of work needed for the wheel studs. The spindle is larger in diameter, on the "A" also, so I'll need to use a different outer bearing also. I think Model T Ranch has a fix for this. This seems like a lot of work, but each mod doesn't seem like it will be difficult.

For the rears, I plan on using the floating rear hubs, with Model A wheel adapters, both available from Model T Ranch. 817/613/9233.

As I have seen, numerous times before, here on this site, I must add the standard disclaimer....

I am in no way associated with the Model T Ranch, nor do I receive any compensation for my opinions regarding their products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Thompson on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:09 pm:

make sure you take apart the adapters and lock-tite the fasteners that hold them together,and then torque to specs for bolt size

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration