Need Help With Paint Codes, Maroon and Engine paint too

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Need Help With Paint Codes, Maroon and Engine paint too
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel (Indiana Trucks) on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

I know this has been brought up before but I need to know if anyone has a paint code for the maroon they used on the 26/27 T's and also if the engine was painted green or gray, is there a paint code for these colors? I am going to use PPG but they can cross reference some other brands as long as its not Rustolium. We already have the black for the fenders.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:23 am:

Bob - We painted our '27 Fordor what we thought was the correct maroon, but it didn't turn out the way I think it should be.

If I were doing it again, I would use the Model A maroon color.

Hope this helps. Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:57 am:

You might try these guys for paint...http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/ford1927.html. I have not done business with them, but they claim an exact color match, and in a variety of products from both PPG and lower cost paints.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:12 am:

quote:

If I were doing it again, I would use the Model A maroon color.

FYI, there are two "Ford Maroons" (Ford Maroon and Ford Maroon Medium). There is a Ford Maroon Medium that many Model A restorers use incorrectly as the Maroon Medium is actually a mid-30's early V-8 color. The true Ford Maroon is a very dark, muddy maroon that most people do not find appealing. The picture of our hack below is painted the early V-8 color (Ford Maroon Medium). It would look almost black if it were painted the correct Model A color.

If someone has the M-specs for the T color, I can compare them to the M-specs for the Model A and see if they are the same. This won't be current paint formula but it would at least tell if they were the same (which I doubt they were).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:16 am:

Keith, I mean to ask you, is the picture of your Fordor in your profile the one you thought was the correct marroon? To me, that looks more like Vermilion Red!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:50 am:

Hi Brent - Yes, that's the one. We painted it in 1981 and and picked the color from a 1978 Thunderbird, I think. It looked a lot different on that Thunderbird - maybe it was mixed wrong. The picture shown in my profile was taken shortly after that paint job. The color is ok, but I wouldn't use that color again if we ever repaint it.

That car was originally a medium gray. We found the original paint under the door panels and on the engine side of the firewall.

You might be interested to know that my Wife painted all three of the cars on the right side of the profile picture, and I must say she did a very nice job. Sorry, she's retired now!

The color on our Fordor is much too bright. During the 20's, colors were often quite dark and drab, and as you said, almost black in many cases.

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:23 am:

I painted my 27 Touring in original Ford Maroon and it is very dark. Unless it is outside in bright light it looks black at first glance. When I bought the paint the guy that mixed it said it was a simple formula, "just a gallon of black with some red oxide pigment". I'll have to check when I get to the shop to see if I kept the formula. I usually take the label from the empty can and store it in the vehicle that was painted from that can of paint. JP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

That "Royal Maroon" (TCP1011) sure looks like the color of my car. I know for a fact that my car was repainted long ago. The paint job is nice, the prep left a lot to be desired.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/acl_files/ford1927.html

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q32/olfart100/chasedenisefamdadscar2008120.jp g[/IMG]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By djdeewey@cncnet.com on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:04 pm:

Brent,
I used to own a '31 Deluxe Coupe that still had a lot of original paint under some lousy black enamel. I was able to pop most of it off the gas tank and see much of the original Maroon (the car was maroon & Black originaly) and it matched the maroon on the inside trim of my '30 Sport coupe. I didn't think it looked dark and muddy, not light mind you, but very much like the hood on the huckster pic you posted. The Vermillion strip was still on the gas tank too! I was also able to document that the header strip above the windshield was maroon on the inside, and black on the outside (upper & lower body colors)--and it was obvious that all that was done was to spray the outside with the black upper color, the color line was just the front edge of the bottom of the upper strip. Mass production methods!.I suspect Ford had some masking plate they put in the windshield opening while painting the upper body color.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel-Indiana Trucks on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:22 pm:

I think something close to the maroon on the huckster would be what we are looking for if it is an option from back then. At least thats what we had in mind but would still like to know if it would be correct. Also, I have seen green and gray engines but never could find out what was used. The block needs to painted soon so its time to decide and it would be nice to get it right.

Thanks for all that have posted so far, keep it up and pictures are always welcome!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

Bob

Depending on model year, the Maroon was for closed cars only until later in '26 when Ford would supply any '27 model in any available Ford color. The maroons were both enamel and lacquer.
Ford spec M-393 Windsor Maroon enamel, and M-636 Royal Maroon pyroxylin (lacquer). Modern mix #'s are hard to compare with these Ford spec M #s as there are no original color chip records available. The use of Model A colors similar is what most do.

The engines were painted green beginning with vaporizer carb engines, the factory notes indicate Drake Green pyroxylin was used, the Ford spec M-637 Drake Green (satin) painted on engine block and fitted parts, excluding gen and starer, etc., beginning around serial #13,9xx,xxx (July 1926). Most use the Model A green engine paint, but if Brent can get a better color using the M-spec noted, then that is best.

All ref noted is from B McCalley book.

Here is one pic of the satin green on a cutaway display motor at the Henry Ford Dearborn, this is probably what the actual green on a T motor looked like.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration