Dyna Beads? yes or no

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Dyna Beads? yes or no
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:07 pm:

As far as I'm concerned, Yes!
Tim from Gen III sent me a late Christmas present, a Dyna Bead kit. Probably cause I'm an engine rebuilder's dream customer. I sent him 5 grand, told him to build me an engine as if he was going to have to drive it, call me when it's done, and I'd send him the balance. Which he did, and I'm delighted with the end product.
(back to the subject).

Mission accomplished.
I installed the Dyna Beads in the first tire, it took me almost 2 hours to get all the little suckers in that tire!
I did the other 3 tires in less than the time than it took for the first one. I know why too, the long valve stems on 3 of the tubes. When I reamed the first stem with a 1/8" drill bit as it says in the instructions, the drill bit wasn't long enough to reach all the way through the stem. I figured it out with the second tire (which has the only short stem). Lots more brass reamed out on the 2nd stem. Dyna Beads went in with only one clog.
I took the drill bit out of the chuck and noticed that it was almost the same length as the long stems! Put it back in the chuck with only about an 1/8 inch in the chuck, Bingo!
3rd tire, (long stem) only a couple clogs, last tire (long stem) NO clogs.
Took the Ol' Lizzie for a ride, I don't have a clue how these things work but I can feel the difference!
Tomorrow, I'll go for a real evauation ride. I did notice today (before I made more problems for myself with a plugged up fuel filter), that this is the first time I've EVER had to slow down for slower traffic!
Before the Dyna Beads, the front tires especially, felt like they were square. I just chocked it up to the fact that the car sits idle in the garage for long periods, causing flat spots. With the Dyna Beads, I don't get that "flat spot" feeling?
I was pretty pessimistic, I probably wouldn't have bought a set but Tim sent them to me free, so I decided to see what would happen.
If these things can smooth out a set of 50+ year old Ward's Riversides, mounted on warped wire wheels with sloppy bearings and an absolutely shot front end, I imagine they can smooth out almost anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:37 pm:

And you have more than 5 grand worth of engine driving that rig? I think I'd have sprung for a rebuilt front end first.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:35 am:

Way more than 5 grand. The engine is highly modified. My worn out, numbers matching, original engine is now in a crate.
The front end is next.
The issue with the engine was do I drive it with a sloppy front end or not at all.
Hot Rod engine or no Hot Rod engine, I'm still in no hurry, I don't plan on out driving that worn out front end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:47 am:

Lets hear more about this 5G + engine. Sounds sophisticated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Roberts on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:08 am:

Detailed specs would be nice reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Stanzione on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:19 am:

Dennis, I would like to hear more about the evaluation ride today on the dyna beads. I have a set but have been trying to resolve all the other sources of rough ride before installing them. Sounds like you are going the opposite direction. Let me know what results you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:38 am:

I'd love to see a breakdown on that engine. With typically 50% being labor,he didn't do to many mods.( Hope you got kissed.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:58 am:

I am always surprised to hear what people pay for engine rebuilds. Here in Northern California, a complete short block, eg new pistons, rings, valves lifters, hard seats, reground cam, new cam bearings, reground crank,rebabbitted mains and rods, new timing gears, etc runs about $1500 give or take. I too would be interested in hearing what the upgrades were to make it so expensive.
A friend recently had Eric Barrett of Auburn Ca, rebuild a 13 engine, trans and mag assembly complete with pan and trans cover ready to install. Included upgrades and a new 13 block for around $4000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:10 am:

Dennis,
I would be interested to find out whether your engine lasts as long and goes as many miles as the $1500 engine. (hope to live long enough to find out) Also why you would put dyna beads in 50 year old tires? I would replace the tires and rebuild the front end first and then if it needed balance possibly try the dyna beads.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:54 am:

I hope that includes an A crank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:56 am:

"I sent him 5 grand, told him to build me an engine as if he was going to have to drive it, call me when it's done, and I'd send him the balance."

Does this mean it cost more than 5k?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:00 pm:

I have been using Dyna-Beads in my 26 coupe for two years and they work good but they seem to be most effective at around 30mph and above,i found on the 21" split rims that a extra ounce is needed.I also put them in my trailer tires which were not balanced it keeps it from hopping.Tom they should be great in your truck,you could probably drive it 60 instead of just 55.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By we screwum & howe on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:31 pm:

A FOOL AND HIS MONEY...........YADA YADA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By we ruinem and howe on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

As usual, someone is happy and the rest of you LOSERS have to make every attempt to ruin it for him. What a bunch of low class children you are. I got a brand new motor for $2.50 so you got screwed. Sure.... Take your low class party poopers somewhere else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:04 pm:

I know from experience that having and engine rebuilt with all new parts from top to bottom can easily reach 5k pretty fast depending on the modifications. Tim seems to build nice engines, with many happy customers, but needs to concentrate on rebuilding his standing with some of the fellas on here. I would prefer that everyone simply apologize, bury the hatchet, and lets start a good new year for everyone. Besides, who even remembers what the bad blood was spilled over?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:31 pm:

quote:

I know from experience that having and engine rebuilt with all new parts from top to bottom can easily reach 5k pretty fast depending on the modifications. Tim seems to build nice engines, with many happy customers, but needs to concentrate on rebuilding his standing with some of the fellas on here. I would prefer that everyone simply apologize, bury the hatchet, and lets start a good new year for everyone. Besides, who even remembers what the bad blood was spilled over?

I too agree with everything Paul says as I have spent a large amount of money on rebuilds and I use Dyna-beads in customer's cars with great success. I also agree that Tim needs to be given some respect and I feel he needs to start doing likewise. Although I have never met Tim personally, I too find myself cringing at many of his posts because I feel like they have ego and self-serving written all over them. What is likely sad is that is not the sincere meaning Tim had when he penned them.

I also think the same applies for Dennis' post above. It too had ego written all over it which probably was not the intent but the phrase "...I'm an engine rebuilder's dream customer." and the phrase "I sent him 5 grand, told him to build me an engine as if he was going to have to drive it, call me when it's done, and I'd send him the balance." ...or the sentences about Tim sending them free & etc. As I read the post, I couldn't help but question why Dennis felt the need to flaunt all of that in lieu of a simple non-glorifying type post.

What also had me a little uneasy was how Dennis seems to be boasting that his car has a worn out front end, 50 year old tires that are likely suspect at best, and questionable wheels & bearings yet he throws caution into the wind while he is driving a vehicle in such condition. In my mind (like others here) I could not help but question his motives with regard to being responsible not only towards the fellow driver, --but his Model T and or it's occupants. No one that I know of have ever intentionally had an accident when driving their Model T. And IMO, ...Dyna-beads are NOT going to be able to "smooth out" an injury or lawsuit stemming from careless or wreckless endangerment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:36 pm:

Thanks, Paul. . We all need to remember...
----
I put 4 ounces in each of my #4 Houk clinchers, and may have to add more as the stickon weights fly off. It really does seem to ride better at speed.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 01:42 pm:

50 year old tires have to be hard as cast iron. . Not only do they ride harshly, they have very poor traction, and may fail at any time. A blowout with T steering is an adventure you don't want.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:18 pm:

To anyone concerned. Dennis wrote me about this thread, he's very excited about his car and the fact that he can actually drive it now - and make it home again at the end of the trip. He's also excited about the dynabeads I sent him. It's "shame on you" for trying to burst his bubble.

I had given up posting on here - why you ask? Because this should be my 1550th post if I'm remembering right. Out of those 1549 previous postings I have been wrong 1549 times. Even when I am right I am still wrong (yes, I am that good) simply because "your" opinions are right and mine are wrong -every time. It's at least one of you on every post, and always the same select group of people that are tripping on their inflated ego's in a vicious effort to hurt me. I got tired of this. I feel completely unappreciated with nothing to offer any of you. The mob won - I know nothing so I stopped posting.

The people seeking to ruin my reputation and put me and my family out of business are cruel at best. 99% of these people have not met me, know nothing about us other than what I post on here, have never purchased anything from me - but are the leading authorities on how I screw everyone I deal with. The other 1% may have met me in passing at an event but I still don't see a single real customer bad mouthing me on here.

What Dennis got was more than what he wanted for the price he thinks was fair. I take my job very seriously and my customers are #1 no matter what. I have roughly 1,000 emails just between Dennis and myself spanning well over a full year now. These were going over what he wanted, what I was doing for him complete with photos, and help with whatever questions he has had along the way. He's still asking questions about things and I have no problem helping him for as long as he needs it. All my other customers get the same treatment.

Until you deal with me personally and know all the facts - you should have no say about what is fair and what is not.

I suspect most of the cowardly non-signed postings are from my "competition". So all the other "professional engine rebuilders" Read the next paragraph carefully:

I pose no threat to you. I have no intentions to great a global empire that scoops up all the Model T engine rebuilding jobs. I won't be the reason you go out of business. I just want to make an honest living helping others enjoy the hobby. I only want to earn enough to keep my house and feed my children, you can have the rest.

While composing this there were additional postings I think need comment. Dennis has Monkey Wards on his car. Not 50 year old non-skids. Only he can tell if they need replacing, and he is qualified so I'm not going to worry about it.

The "sincere meaning" comment by Brent has merit. I speak my mind and have an off color / dry sense of humor. This does not translate well into cold hard words on a page. Seemingly snide remarks probably sounded fine in my head before writing them down. Point taken.

And Dennis is a great customer. Easy to please, no complaints, let me do what I do in peace, and payed in full. Could you ask for anything more?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:23 pm:

This is really sad.
I post a topic on MY experience with Dyna Beads, installing them in WHAT I'VE GOT and how I ended up with something I probably wouldn't have bought on my own. And what do I get for my efforts, a big pissing match about what I could have done, what I should have done, where I should have got them and how much I should have paid for an engine.
OK, you want to go there, let's go!
First let's get some FACTS straight.
I didn't send Tim an engine to rebuild, the only thing I sent him was a check.
I told him to go FIND an acceptable block. I told him to go FIND an acceptable crank. I told him to go FIND an acceptable transmission to rebuild and then I told him to make a complete assembly out of it from the fan to the u joint and ship it to me, ready to run and while he was at it, toss in a new radiator to boot!
All I wanted to have to do when I got it was bolt it in, hook up the fuel and electrical, put oil in it and drive it out of the garage.
That's what he did and that's exactly what I did!
And it does exactly what I wanted it to do beautifully, with NO problems.
If you can do that for $1,500 bucks, more power to you!
Here's a PARTIAL parts price list that I just took my valuable time to look up in the Langs catalog.
Z head-$359.95
Alum. pistons-$78.00
Cam-$300.
Alum. intake manifold-$319.
VW style timing cover-$515.
VW electronic Dist.-$268.25
Rebuilt Trans. approx-$975 (core chg. $300)
Used Trans. Cover-$94.00
New Brass Works Radiator-$910.
Rebuilt NH Carb.-$114.95 (plus core chg.)
Complete, installed, rebuilt 12V starter-$274.+
Not including gaskets, seals, many other parts and labor.
It cost him a whole lot of time and effort to do what I ASKED HIM to do and I appreciate it. The easiest way I can show my appreciation was to see to it he was well paid for his efforts. After all, the whole point in being in business is to MAKE MONEY, right?
I didn't retire as a reasonably well off businessman by NOT making money!
I'm not going to tell you what I've got in this engine! I'm not the least bit interested in reading to a bunch of 3rd party comments about "should of", "could of", or "would of" because I SET THE GROUND RULES for this job and Tim was patient enough with me to answer probably a hundred e-mails full of ignorant questions before he had any idea he was going to make a dime for his efforts.

I've got a beat-up old original car that gives me great pleasure to DRIVE around. I also have a LIFE, I have a lot of other things I have to do on a daily basis than learn how to screw up a Model T engine the hard way! I don't 'hang out' with a whole bunch of 'T guys'. In fact other than 1 day's help from my son-in-law (who doesn't know squat about a Model T either), I've done everything by my self!
I want to thank those of you who have willing to help me learn what I WANTED TO KNOW over the last couple years but I'm not the least bit interested in the 'popularity contests' going on here, it's petty and childish. There are other outlets where I can find out what I need to know to keep Ol' Lizzie going, looks like I'd better invest in a few good books.

Sincerely,
Dennis halpin
Englewood Fla.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:29 pm:

My .02, and yeah I'm gonna say it.

Tim is trying to make a business out of doing first class work to keep Model T's alive and well. Tim is also trying to be as up front honest on everything he does as he can..meaning when you look at his web site or talk to him on the phone he states 1- exactly what he will do and not do on any project and offers a fixed cost on that basis. 2- Will take open ended and wild projects on at an hourly rate plus parts with the understanding that his estimate is just a guess.

If we forget the tennis ball stuff going back and forth from time to time based on forum post...I don't believe that I have ever heard a customer say they were not happy with the work!

Dennis has not responded yet, may be concerned he'll eat anything he says no matter how well intended, and as an innocent third party to all this, I will say that my personal understanding is that Dennis bought a complete plug and play totally rebuilt starter type engine from Tim while Dennis still had 100% of his own engine.

Sure, I'd like to 'pay' as little as possible myself for short block rebuilds and the like, and I am sure that some guys do it in spare time and others try to make it a business...your prices will then vary.

UNTIL SOMEONE HAS AN EXPERIENCE TO THE CONTRARY...I think we owe it to Gen3 to see how his rebuilds, from simple rebuilds to turnkey replacements, and turnkey high performance replacements works out.....Just my .02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:30 pm:

ok...so they both posted while I was typing......read their comments...not mine!!!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

I think the only fair way to end any conflict between engine builders is to have them all build engines, put them in stock bare chassis, and race them around a dirt track until we have a winner. Watch the race below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOtEU987GQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:59 pm:

Carl, do they have to do the pig too? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G Carrothers HB on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:05 pm:

Wow If anyone is interested in the DynaBeads still... I put them in my'12 Torpedo with new nondemountable wood spokes wheels. Unfortunately one of my rims was slightly out of round. I did my best to minimize it by rotating the new tire. I had no problem putting the beads in the tubes and did not do any drilling. Just used a little vibration to flow the beads. By Raplh's Ricks accounts and pics of our trips up and down the 605 and 405 freeways here at over 60 MPH I can vouch for the balancing effect they have on my car. I did add about 6 ounces in each wheel and can tell when it starts to smooth out. Unless you have a blowout they should never need replacing or wear out. I likem!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:17 pm:

I take back what I said in the above post. Between Tim and Dennis, I can understand that dennis got a lot more than a rebuilt engine. That was not explained in the original post by Dennis. I was thinking of something like boring and new pistons possible new main bearings and rod bearings. But Tim included all the parts, not just rebuilt the existing parts. He even included a radiator and transmission. That was not explained above.

I still stand by what I said about rebuilding the front end and new tires though.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:51 pm:

Brent, I appreciate your concern for my welfare and I might just be as arrogant as you think but I'm not quite as ignorant.
I have a very healthy respect for the condition of my 81 year old "Used Car".
I've had it for almost 3 years, until the installation of the new engine, (a week ro so ago) It had never been more than 5 miles from home. I live in a small town, there's only one street I've driven on with a speed limit higher than 35 and more than 2 lanes. I have to get on that street for 2 blocks to reach a gas station. Even that wouldn't matter because I drive it within MY "comfort zone". I'm NOT comfortable with the condition of the front end and I dive it accordingly.
OF COURSE, I've pulled, inspected, and repacked the front wheel bearings. Of course, I've pulled the rear wheels, inspected the rear brakes, bearings, axle end play, shafts, keys and every other SAFETY related item BEFORE I ever put it on the street.
The car is worn out but not to the point where I would callously endanger my self or anybody else by driving it, I'm not quite that big a fool, thank you.
Now that the engine project is done, It will go back in the garage for a front end overhaul once the holidays are over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:00 pm:

Norm, I was talikng about Dyna Beads and how I came about getting them and what they accomplished under by far. less than perfect conditions. I didn't realize it was necessary to explain what I meant about a COMPLETELY rebuilt engine.
If you would like to refer to a topic I posted titled "Lizzie Lives' I went all through what I had done with respect to the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/76339.html?1230011888

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:06 pm:

It never ceases to amaze me what we humans do to one another. Subscribers to this Forum have a tremendous amount of knowledge - all of it willingly and generously shared for the betterment of the old machinery that is being given a reprieve from a rusty demise.... sometimes from the dedicated hobbiest or professional who has a question to resolve a difficulty. Most often these questions and answers are posted by individuals who have a name given to them - probably by their parents - who are not ashamed or embarrased to affix their name to the post.
It seems that whenever a series of derogatory messages appear here, they always begin by some "black labeled" individual. (name appearing in black, as way above).
With all the hardship and heartache going on around the world, wouldn't it be nice if we Model T'ers would quit bashing each other for the beginning of the New Year? Shucks, there are several different makes of autos, in different styles and colors out there.....so what if someone wants something other than a black, 6 volt, magneto powered 4 wheeler? Can't we appreciate the fact that some creative soul took something that was older than he (or she, sometimes) and gave it a new life? And yes, some of us shop at Wal-Mart, while I believe others shop at Tiffany's. We all have different tastes and pocketbooks...what made this country great was that new people, with new ideas, were allowed to express themselves....and lots of times received praise for their efforts.
Most of us want these pieces of history to be around for generations to come. We want (and need) new blood, and sometimes new ideas (advances in lubrication, air movement, combustion, ignition, etc.)....we surely are not going to encourage newbies to join our ranks if we keep bad mouthing the members we have.
You fellow Forum members are a great bunch....I have learned a lot, and thoroughly enjoy reading most posts.
I guess that I will have to do what others have suggested....ignore all those posts by black labeled people - they generally have such low esteem of themselves that they attempt to bring others down to their level...as in "misery loves company"
Best wishes for a Healthy New Year to all, a more prosperous one with a more positive outlook on life by all those with a black label.
Regards, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:27 pm:

Amen! Dave.
Well, it's time for me to go over to my soon to be 88 year old mommy's house where my soon to be 82 year old car is garaged and celebrate the fact that they are both still around for another year. They are both in preety feeble shape but both still willing to get out in the sunlight as often as they can.
I can slowly but surely bring one of them back from the grave, the other I can only cherish for the time I have left.
Happy 2009 Guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:34 pm:

I think those pigs was doped. Not a single one escaped in the heats I watched last year. I guess it was a hoot and howl in prior years when they got away from the drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:04 pm:

George, Dennis & ALL:

Yes, I have Dyna Beads in the '26 Runabout tires, & the ride has improved.......... no wabble, smooth ride. 'Nuff said !!!

I had my engine re-done a few years ago. I specified solid lifters, Stipe 280 cam., aluminum pistons, valve seats, new babitt, new cam bearings, check & true crank, Ford timing gear & crank gear, & do whatever else it needs.

I challenge anyone who has a bona-fida shop to charge $ 1500.00 for this work with today's prices for parts AND LABOR. The machinist is entitled to a fair & profitable charge for his work. I am not a machinist. There is noting bad with making a fair profit & stay in business.
...............'Nuff Said !!!!

Days of the $1500 engine rebuild have gone with the Do-Do Bird. Reality check into today's world.

I did have the transmission re-done by a good friend & specified wood liners in the bands. I also had the engine shop go over the transmission cover, re-bushed & new pedal shafts installed & seals, which added to the price.

No, I will not advertise what I paid for what I had done since it would not reflect today's prices.

If you ask the name of the shop or machinist I will answer in private e-mail.

In addition, I will say that Tim Foye of www.modelTengine.com is a competent machinist who knows Model T's. ........'Nuff Said !!!!

Disclaimer: No connection, compensation or profit, from my recommendations in any shape or form.

Also as a side, I will not & have not recommended any particular T supplier as others have done on this Forum ......... 'Nuff Said !!

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Once was 'Nuff on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:52 pm:

Why is it necessary to say "Nuff said!" so many times? Are you closing discussions on the topic? Everybody supposed to shut up now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:38 pm:

I never cease to be amazed at the hostility that pops up occasionally here. I've never met any of these guys personally, but have dealt with quite a few. How is it that two guys I've had great dealings with and seem to be great people can despise each other to such an extent. I've seen it on about three separate occasions with three sets of people. I thought the whole idea of the MTFCA was to promote comraderie among fellow enthusiasts. ??????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:47 pm:

Who likes an ice cold beer on a really hot summer day, while sitting on the running board, admiring a view?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:10 pm:

Dyna beads.Yes.

Beer,yuk. :># A good cold Mountain Dew and beef jerky,now we are talking!

Tiffanys,aint that some kind of a lamp that goes beside the couch that rich folkes have?

When it comes to what is a fair wage,geez.
Think about it this way.I never got to 13 bucks a hour and I was working inchs from high speed traffic.
But yet some folkes get millions to toss a foot ball under a big ceiling, while Soldiers get paid pitifully and they could get killed any moment.
So wages aint never going to make sense or be "fair".Rather it be a machinst working on your T engine or that tall fellow chunking a basket ball.

We just have to do what we love the best way we can and spend what we can afford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:59 pm:

Sounds like heaven about now Ben.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

I wasn't going to mention this on the forum because I'm not interested in any more lectures about the irresponsibility of driving anything but a "perfect" Model T.
(Don't take that comment personally Brent, I sincerely DO think you meant well).
But....
Since we still seem to have a couple chickensh*ts posting on MY topic who don't have the balls to OWN their comments, I'll proceed.
This is an E-mail I just sent to Tim Foye.

"I straightened out all the dirty fuel filter issues and took Ol' Lizzie for her usual ride to the gas station today. My son-in-law was there on his way over to my mom's house for New Years. I had him follow me and tell me how fast I was going. On one of the long (empty) stretches I pulled the throttle all the way down, the engine felt like it had plenty left, it wasn't straining or felt like it was wound tight. I suspect that the carb has a little more stroke in it that the throttle linkage, the way it's set up right now.
When we got to mom's, I asked him what my highest speed was? TRY THIS OUT, 50+ MPH!
That's more than I could ask for and I'm not going to mess with the throttle linkage to see what else I could get out of it. In the car's present condition, I'm not the least bit interested in doing this again.
I've said this before, I'll say it again. Every time I drive this thing, it's runs smoother and better! Fu*k these ignorant ass holes that don't know you or your product. I know what I've got and what I've got is a work of art! I couldn't be more delighted with your product!
When the time comes to rebuild the original engine back to bone stock, I can't think of any reason why I would ship it anywhere else.
Feel free to publish this as a testimonial on YOUR site with my name.

My son-in-law also noticed that my left front wheel is bent. (the others run pretty true) I already know this because I can see the bent spokes on it. It's got about a half inch of run out. I'm going to rotate the tires and get that wheel on the back until I can get around to truing it. My spare wheel is a non issue, I can visibly see the stress cracks between the lug nut holes and the center hub.

Lizzie is ready to go to the car show Sat. So is the spec. sheet on your engine. I'd send you a copy of the final sheet but it's sitting on the back seat of the car. I will however send you pictures. This worked out good. If I get any inquiries about the engine, I can honestly say that your "Hot Rod" engine will move a Model T down the road in excess of 50 MPH for anybody crazy enough to want to go that fast in one.

Just thought I'd perk up your New Years a bit."
Dennis.

Now, you guys with REAL names, go ahead and chew me out. Was this a smart thing to do with a worn out car? NO, it wasn't! Was It an "accptable" risk I decided to take under all the existing conditions? apparently yes.

Now, back to the original topic, the Dyna Beads.
I seriously doubt I'd have pulled a stunt like this without them. The car goes down the road much more smoothly, no more tire bounce or shake.
"Nuff Said".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:29 pm:

Dennis :

" 'NUFF SAID !!! "

Happy New Year

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:56 pm:

Dennis,

You continue to fix things and that is great. I have seen guys buy a car and put money in paint and upholstery and ignore everything else as long as it runs. Now you have a new and good motor, will fix the front end and looks like whatever else needs it--that is the way to go. Once all that is done and safe you can continue on the shinny stuff (or not). You have something that will start and run for a long time without worries, the ballanced tires are great and I am sure you will fix the wheels and front end (don't remember if you have been into the rear end yet).

I don't care what you spent on a motor and it isn't my business, I have spent lots more on overheads, and I mean LOTS MORE. I can do quite a bit myself and have but sometimes my time is worth more running a side business and working full time than hauling things around and being in the shop. In that example a project that is sent out will be completed instead of laying around for years when I can only jump in a weekend afternoon every month or two.

You got it done and installed and are on the road, you decided what you were willing to spend and stepped up and did it. You are happy with your investment so all is well. We all can't do everything and even for those that can sometimes we don't have the time due that thing called a J-O-B.

Again, you are smarter to spend 5K+ on a new motor than the same $$'s on a paint job to make it look new. If that money is spent on the body then you don't want to work on the motor because you might scratch something. Seen that done many times--you can also as you drive by them.

Your car, your money, your time...I don't care as long as it is safe. Your choice of repair shops, again I don't care but do appreciate your reports of your experience.

Happy motoring this year and don't stop now, the important repairs are falling behind you in good order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:07 am:

Thanks, Tim
That's exactly the point!
I bought a car with a nice paint job and upholstery (knowing nothing about Model T's) that turned out to be otherwise completely worn out! I was going to make a Hot Rod out of it so the mechanical condition wasn't that important (If I actually had a clue what I was looking at in the first place).
I quickly grew to love it AS A MODEL T not by admiring it sitting in the garage but by trying to get it (semi) roadworthy and driving it!
That's how I ended up on this forum in the first place.
The engine ran when I got it, I spent the first 3 months I owned it asking questions and learning what might actually fall off this car if I tried to drive it and fixing things (like loose rear wheel hubs, for instance), that might have REALLY fallen off!, BEFORE it made it's first trip up the block.
It's now done from the radiator to the U joint. As demonstrated, it will now MOVE fast enough for the front end to be a hazard in MY opinion.
Now, I will rebuild the front end from the spring perch to the street, true-up the rims, make a decision on the tires and then move on to the rear end.
From what I've learned here, the ring & pinion play doesn't seem to be TOO excessive at the moment. I will however, rebuild the rear end from the spring perch to the street as well.
Then and only then, I might fell comfortable enough driving an 82 year old car farther than I care to walk home from.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration