Model T rear axle gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Model T rear axle gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:25 pm:

Does anyone know the correct dimensions for the rear axle and the corresponding rear axle gear? I know it is a press fit and I think the axle is 1.062, what should the inside of the gear be?

Some more background, I had to replace an axle because of the worn out bearing surface. I bought a new one. I have a manually operated press and it was very difficult to get the axle gear off the old axle. I finally had to apply some heat before it would come off. When I tried to press it on the new axle, it went in about half the needed distance and I bent the new axle. I have another axle on the way, but I'm obviously going to need to work on the gear and loosen it up a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:02 am:

Dave, I don't have the dimensions handy, but the new axles are a few thousands larger than the originals. I replaced both axles in a rear end this past spring and it took a while to get the ends sanded down on the lathe to get them to a point where I felt comfortable pressing on the axle gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:38 pm:

David, I have pressed off probably over fifty of those gears, and some are really stuck tight even though they are nice and clean and never rusted. The reproduction axle shafts do have some issues, and it seems they all have the same problems regardless of what vendor you get them from. I have seen problems with the gear end being too big, keyways on the hub end being too shallow, surface finish of the bearing raceways being too rough, and thread for the nut being improperly formed. Every axle I install gets measured and checked against the Ford blueprint now prior to assembly, and it is not uncommon to have to put it in the lathe and take a little material off, or at least polish the bearing surfaces smooth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 12:47 pm:

Bearing surface (and the surface the gear gets pressed onto) should measure 1.062" to 1.063". The little half inch long stub on the inside end of the shaft before the groove for the two c shaped gear retaining rings should measure 1.059" to 1.060" and it serves as a shoulder the gear should easily slip over to help the gear press on nice and straight. The bore of your gear should be free of nicks and gouges and you should lightly grease the inside of the gear and the end of the shaft before you attempt to press the gear on.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration