Left hand Ruckstel shift on 1927 T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Left hand Ruckstel shift on 1927 T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:29 pm:

I want to put a left hand Ruckstel shift on a 1927 Coupe, but the normal left hand shift kit is pretty much useless. I have a little over 3/4 inch of clearance from the frame to the body and just the cross shaft alone is almost 3/4 inch diameter. I'm thinking of building my own with 1/2 cross shaft but was looking to see if anyone else out there has a better solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:38 am:

You mount the pillow blocks upside down below the frame rail on cars where the body sits close to the frame. Cut the shaft to fit between the frame rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 02:44 pm:

Royce,
Where does the handle come out?
Inside the brake handle, so you have make another slot for it in the floor boards? Or do you make a hole through the side of the frame rail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:19 pm:

David,
It has to come out inside the frame rail in a seperate slot.

Or you can bore a hole the diameter of the shaft thru the frame for the shifter shaft and then it can come out behind the brake ratchet. You will find that the shifter lever needs to be heated and bent to get it to your favored position. I like the lever all the way out towards the side of the car personally.

ruckstell13

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By andy samuelson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:08 pm:

David,, message coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron griffey on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:56 pm:

After driving several cars with the Ruckstell shifter on the left, and having mounted a couple there myself I would never consider putting one in the middle again.
It is out of the way and nobody calls the car a model A because it has a shift lever in the middle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 01:52 am:

I forgo the pillow blocks and install u-bolts on the top of the frame. I use nylon lock nuts and tighten the crosshaft to no play but still moves. Keeps everything under the floor with out a lot of engineering. Has worked fine for three years.

Andy Clary

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration