My First Partial T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: My First Partial T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Brown on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 03:35 am:

I had always heard my dad and others talk about their experiences with Model T's and was always interested. I was about a sophmore in high schooland afriend told me he had a Model T buzz saw rig he wanted to sell. Dad and I went over on Mothers Day and took a look at it. The motor was stuck and laying on the ground along with the front axle. The rear axle was still bolted to the frame and there was a coil box and firewall. Both axles had hubs from wood wheels with 16 inch wheels adapted to them and bald tires. Nothing else. He wanted ten dollars for it and dad told him nine as there were no coils.
He took the nine dollars and we put the engine and front axle in the back of the pickup and put the frame up over the tailgate and tied it down and dragged it home about 2 miles.
I tore the head off that summer and got the engine in the frame and blocked up outside. I soaked the pistons for a couple of weeks with kerosene and transmission fluid and tried to turn the crank every day. Emery paper was used to clean up the tops of the cylinders as far down as I could go to the piston. It would not move so I took the lower pan off and got the rods unbolted. Dad told me to hit up on the bolt flange of the rods with a block of wood and a hammer and they all came free. I took them out and removed the rings carefully and cleaned up the pistons and the rings. Finished cleaning the cylinders with emery paper and learned how to hand lap valves. Washed it all down with kerosene and put it back together with the used parts. We came up with some coils somewhere and I rigged up a 2 gallon can for a gas tank and wired up the coil box to a battery I cranked all one day and wore blisters on my hand and tore them off cranking. It would fire and backfire but would not run. ad came home fom work and checked on me to see how it was going and then wired the coil box and timer correctly for me. They will not run wired 1234.
The next day I got it started and that is as far as I could go for a while as I had no other parts.
Over the next 2 years a driveshaft was found on a farm in Nebraska. I imagine the frame it came from is still sitting there with the tree growing up through it. I bought some other motors and parts and found a radiator buried in the grass with them. It took a long while to come up with a body until my brother in law took me to his dads ranch and out over the hill ir a pasture was a 26 roadster body with frame, springs, fenders steering column and windshield stanchions. Everything got converted over in a hurry and I had a Model T I could drive around the place. Later on I found a set of piston rings and honed the cylinders and put them in. I also found a ruxtell axle and put it in. Got a title for it and licensed it and drove it around town in the summers. Ran it in the local parades and dressed up as a hill billy which did not take much changing to do. Never in my life have I had so many pictures taken of me. Lots of tourists are at the parade back home.
I still have the T and it has not run in over 35 years. Since then it has gained a couple of buddies. I also have gained a grandson whom I hope will help me with them in 3 or 4 years. I have put off working on them for almost 40 years and now are to be something to do in retirement hopefully in a year or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:58 am:

Dennis,
Please post a picture of your T.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration