Just Wondering?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Just Wondering?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 04:20 pm:

After reading a few posts today...I was just wondering?

Do the antique cars collectors from the Chevy and Dodge clubs get along as well as our Ford group?

Some of the posts on this fourm make me wonder if I should keep my membership or move on.

If this applies please heed it: If you don't have anything nice to say then keep your fingers off the key board please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wally on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:14 pm:

This forum is kinda like a barrack full of soldiers. They argue, insult, and often fight each other. But in the end, they will protect and defend each other with their lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 05:50 pm:

Wally,your right,it is when we get to posting with our egos that we tend to get into trouble. Thanks for reminding us. Happy New year everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 06:56 pm:

Well from what I have seen, at least we have some life on this forum. Check out the other 2 major T forums, not much going on on eather of them. Way I feel is, if you do not like how something is writen, skip it and move on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

What you see is typical internet bravado. It is the same on Chevy web sites, Dodge clubs, even rod and reel forums. When anonymous posting is allowed you see the limp wristed types act like macho men because they can put their lame comments on without fear of retribution.

Don't worry about it Denny. Say what you believe. Sign your name if you are proud of what you say.

Happy New Year and drive your T tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Omar C on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:21 pm:

Happy New Year, Shooot I've been driving mine all day .... love it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:22 pm:

I like to think that Wally is right. We'll defend each other with our lives. Unless you bring up the topic of Ture Fire and coils. Then the brother in the bunk to your right will try to save your life while the brother in the bunk to your left tries to strangle you! LOL

And like Mark said, if you don't like somehthing, skip it.

I for one am very grateful for you guys. And I enjoy reading threads that I do not even contribute too, which I believe is what we all do.

Have a happy and safe and healthy new year! God bless us all!

Bob Poane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:38 pm:

Well I'm glad to hear most of the insults are in just in jest.

Happy New Year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

In the early '90's, before the internet exploded, the place to be for online discussions was CompuServe. It was divided into many forums in various subject areas. I was active primarily on the Foreign Language Forum, the Masonry Forum, the Netherlands Forum and the Cancer Forum. At one point or another, I was part of the forum staff on the last three.

With the exception of the Cancer Forum*, "electronic food fights" would break out from time to time. It's the nature of online discussions. CompuServe Forums were divided into 20+ sections, so that messages could be posted in the appropriate area. Most forums had one section that was accessible only to the forum staff. It was used to discuss forum administrative matters and also as a place to move objectionable posts from users so that no one but staff could see them. That helped maintain a reasonable atmosphere.

* The problem on the Cancer Forum was not so much incivility as it was people coming into the forum to hawk "snake oil" cures and post commercial messages, which were prohibited. They got moved out of sight as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:37 pm:

I am not only new to this hobby, but have never been involved in any forum/chat-room type discussions before this forum, ever. Now that I'm semi retired, I'm pursuing something I've always wanted to do, the model T thing. I know that may sound strange to a lot of you, but yes there are still a few of us out here that are very low tech type people.
I think it's great that the forum is open, uncensored and occasionally strays off topic. After all, isn't that how a real conversation with an old friend is? If a post offends me or doesn't interest me, I just skim it or don't open it up. Sure there will be personality differences and an occasional squabble but I do however, hate to see anybody piled on over something said that may strike someone the wrong way. This wonderful high-tech, ultra-modern communication device, just like the old Underwood manual typewriter with a 2" keystroke I learned to type on in high school, have one thing in common, neither project voice-tone, facial expression, or body-language and I can see how many things can be misinterpreted. As for me, I say lets get back to talking T's and lets all brag a little, we've got a unique hobby!
Just my opinion,
John Berch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:05 pm:

Denny,

As with any group some folks are easier to get a long with than others. But I think the good far out ways the occasional bad. And you will have the chance to meet folks and make some good friends here that you might never run into in your own state or even halfway around. The forum in addition to the tours and club meetings gives us another opportunity to meet other folks that enjoy Model T’s. I’ve found our common interests usually bring us together much more than our differences take us apart.

And I’ve appreciated the simple advise from long ago – “Praise in Public – offer correction in private.” I know I have received a few e-mails with “what were you thinking?” For me, it is always easier to see their point when I know it is from a friend sharing something I need to hear.

One last thought, I would encourage you and everyone else to add a picture and some information to your profile. Some folks are really great with names. Others are more like me and struggle to remember who is who even when we meet people in person. For folks like me, it is so much easier to remember the different people’s stories – who they are, how they are like, if I have something visual and/or a car to tie the information to. That is actually part of the reason I have such a long signature block. I hope it makes it easier for folks to place who I am. (The other reason – is so folks looking for information about he NRS&SR Fords might be encouraged to contact me.) And if you post a picture of your car or the type of car you hope to obtain or even the rear wheel of your Smith Form a Truck (see: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=michaelb-users ) it makes it easier for some us to remember who we are talking with.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:46 pm:

Once again "Hap Tucker, a man wise beyond his years". Hap when I first stumbled on to the forum last summer, I thought you were elderly. I mean that as a compliment, to your calm, wise demeanor. Then I saw the picture of your family in 1950 in the touring car and you said you weren't born yet and I thought, man I'm way off. I always enjoy your posts and historical, attention to detail research. Keep up the good work.
John Berch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:43 pm:

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I only have to asked my wife "How am I doing?" to be reminded I still have room for lots of improvement and I still have lots to learn. Funny when I was in my late teens I thought "I knew it all." I often thought my Dad's whole purpose in life was to make me miserable. About a year after I joined the military I went back home and apologized to my Dad. He was a lot smarter than I had ever realized.

I’ve found that true with most folks – there is a lot more potential in them than we may initially see. That is true for many of the barn or garage finds also. Lots of folks only see scrap iron that needs to be hauled off -- while many of us see a drivable T if we just put a little (or a lot) of effort into it.

And I like the picture of your Columbian after market cab & bed on your TT Truck. Great looking T!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:50 pm:

Oops -- Coumbia after market cab NOT Columian cab on your TT Truck

Respectfully corrected,

Hap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

As a new Model T owner in the middle of a long restoration, I have relied heavily on this forum. I have realised that there are many differing opinions and points of view. I have learned to simply take it all in, and use what I can, and what works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:52 pm:

Hap, Mark Twain once said, "When I was 14, I thought my father was the stupidest man in the world. When I was 21, I was amazed at how much the man had learned in seven years!" :-)

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:03 pm:

You know when I went out to Chickensaw I visited with 2 people that post on this forum.
Don Mcneil and Ray Elkins.A good bit of our discussions werent T related at all.Allthough T's are what got us in the same place to meet we were talking metal working,tools,tractors,you name it.
To me,for this forum to be a effective place it needs a little flexabilty as to what can be discussed and such.ALLTHOUGH,it should be done respectably.
I dont know about chevy folkes.When I needed advice on my 77 Impala wagon,I felt as if I were a dieing calf in a snow storm.Alone,and in the cold as to what to do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:08 pm:

I don't intentionally offend anyone, but I am very good at doing it unintentionally. I also am not easily offended, and so I probably say or post things that would not offend me if someone else said it to me, but don't realize I am offensive to others. Please forgive me if you are one which was offended by any of my posts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:18 pm:

Norm I can't say I was offended by any of this but I will say I'm very envious of anybody who could "ride three horses today". Where have you been hiding the other two? That's a good looking "stable". My old truck won't see the light of day for at least two more months. I grouse about this winter weather every year and I know you guys probably think If you don't like it, move, but it is home to me even though I'm not that fond of snow.
Mack, I agree wholeheartedly. I really like this forum and I think there is a big difference between a good debate and stating an opinion,(which is what Norman did, by the way) and just insulting and trying to "one up" somebody.
Mack I would like to complement you on you on your TT. That truck looks very authentic especially setting in front of that steam shovel. They weren't very big on "head-ache racks" in those days days were they? I wonder how often they had part of the load on the seat with them. Could you explain that shovel, where did you ever find something like that? It appears to be in running condition. That's really an interesting photograph.
John Berch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:58 am:

Mack - Here's an example of what you're talking about. A few days ago, I called "Ron the Coilman" in response to an email that I sent him about coils. He emailed me to say, "give me a call and we'll talk about it". Well, long story short, when I called him, we talked for quite awhile, and I'd say that about half of the conversation was about coils and the Model T ignition system, and the other half of our conversation had to do with names, places, family names, and all sorts of stuff. I feel like in the couple years I've been active on this forum, I've made lots of friends, most of whom I've never met, but certainly hope to. And I've had the same experience with several others besides Ron Patterson. This forum is just simply a great bunch of guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:47 am:

Hap,

Thanks for the nudge.. I will put information into my profile later this week. I can't post any photos because I do not have a camera.

I am currently doing a ground up, total stripped to the frame restoration on a '22 Dr. Coupe. I purchased the car in 2005 but did not get started on the restoration until late Dec '07. The car was in a barn with 5 Lincon Contenentals and a lot of junk. I'm now working on the wood frame replacement. If all goes well I hope to get it on the road by the fall of '09

I read this fourm and have gotten a lot of great information and I too don't wish to offend anyone but I just get tired of some of the nit-picking, hence the thread topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:29 am:

Many years ago I met Galen Drake, who was what they called a "human interest man" back in the days of real radio. These were guys who would tell all sorts of little stories and interesting facts. The most famous was Mr. Ripley, but there were many others, like Philip Norman and Galen Drake. Once Galen passed on something his father told him: Everybody knows something you don't know. Everybody has a story to tell. Even the most boring person has something interesting to say if you're interested. Hap's comment on most people having more potential than we first may realize reminded me of that.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration