The dumbest idea yet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: The dumbest idea yet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 07:41 pm:

"How not to save the US economy"

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!
Call: 202-225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

“Cash for Clunkers” programs threaten enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. The programs also risk destroying classic, historic and special-interest vehicles, our American heritage.

Cars turned in for scrappage often barely run, or are rarely-driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy or emissions.

“Cash for Clunkers” programs will reduce the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts used by low-income drivers. It will also compete with the Salvation Army, the Purple Heart and other charities that rely on vehicle donations to raise money.

“Cash for Clunkers” ignores better policy options. If Congress wants to act, support for repair and upgrade is a better choice and a win-win for consumers, dealers, manufacturers and repair shops. Significant emissions and fuel economy improvements can be achieved in older vehicles through relatively simple and inexpensive means: repaired/replaced exhaust systems, tune-ups, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:31 pm:

IMHO the greatest service she could offer the USA is her resignation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:34 pm:

Change for the sake of change. They do not want you driving a car that will last out of the warranty. That is what keeps the economy going. Change for the sake of change, horay for change because that is all we will have in our pockets. Here is the Pelosimobile for all to see. 22.5 horsepower and it runs on dish soap. Yes it is green ! California rules !

peoldo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:41 pm:

Oh goodie! I think I'll scrap my T so I can buy a new Cavalier (or whatever they call it this year).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 08:45 pm:

Can l order a big bright green "Hummer" for my trip taking the kids to school ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 09:59 pm:

I aint given them a dang thing to scrap.That is a dumb idea.I have several vehicals that are "old" that I drive.The tires cost more than the scrappage program would pay.They dont polute as much as they are accused of.I keep them tuned and running decent.

I kinda feel the same about my old vehicals as I do the couple of old rifles my grandad left me.You aint gittin them unless I am dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:26 pm:

Jack,
You are spot on my fellow Hoosier.

C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:50 pm:

About 30 years ago there was a suggestion going around that we should tell all the politions to just go home and do nothing, and that we would keep sending them their checks as long as they don't do anything political.
The idea was that the nation would be a lot better off without those a@#$%%^&s messsing up the stew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Aber on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:05 pm:

Actually I believe this was first suggested in 1992 by the current administration and also several states have the program in place.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/125471

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:14 pm:

This bounty on old cars is just somebody's idea to create a market for new cars.

Mebbe the CONgress critters are figuring out it won't do any good to bail out the banks and the automakers if there aren't any customers. All the automakers could shut down for two or three years, and not be missed. There have long been more cars in Califronia than licensed drivers. Does that make sense?

I sold my younger son's run out, polluting '78 Dodge 250 van to the state for $850 a few years ago. Some polluter business paid for it as smog credit, or something. They allowed prospective buyers to see and buy the cars before destruction. I was sorely tempted by a clean '72 VW at the time. Shoulda' bought it.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 01:49 am:

Great... Scrap drives....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Rollins on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

Where is all the scrap metal going? China or Japan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:14 pm:

This plan would work best on cars that are about 10 years old. They are so complicated that it takes special equipment to keep them going and very expensive to repair. I don't think we have anything to worry about unless it becomes manditory that all antique cars be in a museum and not on the road.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By b.j. on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:53 pm:

i thought "HER" name was the speaker of the outhouse!
this country is in a heep of trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:27 pm:

Nothing new under the sun. There was a big push in the early '30's to scrap used cars rather than put them up for sale. Anything with 2-wheel brakes was especially prone to scrapping and was pushed as a "safety issue". The more recent attempts at state levels have been usually pushed as an environmental issue (old cars pollute more), but the main intent is most likely economic in nature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:24 pm:

if they take all the cars from New Orleans and any still left from the hurricanes and all the ones sitting up on blocks with no intention of repair it would take years,but i don't think this alleged bill will go anywhere.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:06 am:

If anyone's wondering,...my local scrap yard owner says that there is at least one HUGE barge with US scrap metal sitting in a Chinese port that has YET to be used. TONS of scrap! They bought everything for all of their building during the Olympic games and over purchased.

Hence the extremely LOW prices you get for your scrap these days!

so,...back to model T stuff.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

I went to a good 1 the other day that sells new steel and has a field of stuff to pick over.They had huge piles of stuff.It aint bringing much so they are hanging on to it.I was told by a employee that cut the new steel I bought that some of the foundrys are running low on material so the price may creep back up.Who knows any more?

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration