Is this a Model N radiator?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Is this a Model N radiator?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:02 pm:

This thing is at a salvage yard in Marshville NC.C and C metals 704-624-5647 It has been there for a while sitting up on the shelf.
I think it is a N radiator.I have no idea what he might be asking for it but I would think a few fins straightened and a little time spent on it it would be good as new and much more affordable.It does have the ford script on top and seems the tanks are nice and straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 11:23 pm:

Sure likes a NRS rad to me (and I own one). I live too far away though.It does seem like the side panels may be incomplete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward R Levy on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 03:17 am:

Mack,
just a note of caution,remember its the core that does the cooling so a close inspection of the core for leaks or cloged passegase seems in order. Still, I love old stuf & I might not follow my own advice just to have the thing in my shop
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:01 am:

Mack,

Thanks for posting. Assuming it is and original and not a put together for something else such as a 2/3 replica etc. – then it is clearly a Model NRSorSR radiator. See Trent Boggess page on the Early Ford Registry where 2/3 of the way down he has two radiators hanging on a wall. Caution if you look at the prototype N – that radiator is similar but slightly different in the shape of the hood and top tank from the production Model Ns. The prototype has “Ford Runabout” in brass script on the front of the radiator core (and so does at least one restored later car).

If no once else is interested in it, I will gladly contact them and see if they would like to put it up for sale on the Early Ford Registry and/or if they would like to donate it to the Early Ford Registry.

Did you happen to notice if it appeared to have the normal round tubes like a Model T Radiator or if the tube were different? Also was the Ford script the “standard” 1909 winged script or did you notice if it was just Ford without the wings a different font style? If you have a chance please send me a higher resolution photo to my e-mail address (Just click on my name at the beginning of the post and the 3rd line down is my e-mail.

Side note: Ford Motor Company purchased the radiators used on their new cars from several out side sources for the Model N, R, S, & SR as well as the 1909 Fords. (Probably for the other pre-T Fords – but I don’t want to just guess on it).

Again thanks for posting the note. When/if the shop closes or changes hands that radiator might be recycled/melted and that would be would be a shame. There is chance there is a good story behind it, if the company has been there a long while -- maybe someone remembers?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:36 am:

Well the only thing I was told was it was hauled in on a load of scrap and was saved.It has been there about 3 years at least.
But this fellow does not scrap stuff of this type.There is about 20 old outboard motors hanging there and a 2 acre feild of stuff like tractor implements and a A chassis and stuff that he will sell.so it is safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 01:49 pm:

It looks like one of the later NRS radiators, with the brass "tabs" missing (just above the steel mounts on the sides. If nothing else, the box where the crank and water pump reside is salvagable, and can be used with a new radiator (brass works used the original box for the EFR project radiator they built).

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration