Purists please skip this thread.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Purists please skip this thread.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:06 pm:

Since it's a holiday, I thought I'd throw something out here that may be of interest to some of you. Sort of a vacation day diversion. Some of you have emailed me asking how the "Marriage Carriage" is coming along, so I'm posting some pics of it. For those of you who don't know, this is a car I'm building for customers who have a chapel they rent out for weddings. The car is to be used for carrying the bride from the dressing area to the chapel, and the bride and groom away from the chapel after the service. They found a picture of a 1902 Mercedes in a book and decided that it would be perfect for their purpose. Since there aren't a lot of '02 Merc's around, they have hired me to build them a similar car out of Model T parts. (They have a 1912 T Touring Car, and they like Model T's. But the brides want something with more "class".)

The pic reminded me of a 1910 Tourabout, so I'm proceding along those lines. I asked the "purists" to skip this thread because the car it's a mixture of Model T parts from various years and I don't want to offend anyone. But I was taught "the customer is always right", so I'm giving my customers what they asked for. Here's where I am so far:

m.c.

I used one Model T frame and pieces from another to make a 2' longer car. The frame is Z'd 4" in the back, and I used a dropped axle and '27 spindles for a 3-1/2" drop in the front. This way the car is long and low, like the picture. One foot of the stretch is between the radiator and engine, the other is between the front and back seats, so the bride will have plenty of space for her dress and stuff.

m.c.2

Rootlieb made the hood 12" longer than stock, and it's a nice piece of work. Brassworks made the "no-name" radiator. Ray Wells has built and painted the seats, and they are at Ernie Romero's upholstery shop in El Cajon, CA, getting his personal touch with deep-tufted black leather. When they're shipped to me, I'll just bolt them down and they're done. The only major body work left to do are the fenders and running boards. I'll make the boards of cherry to match the dash and hood shelves, and they'll have brass step plates. Fenders will be cream-color like the body.

m.c.3

So that's where I am for now. It'll be finished by Spring, in time for this year's "wedding season". Some of you may have found it interesting to see something a little different made from old rusty Model T parts. If you're appalled by all this, you weren't supposed to be reading this thread anyway. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 07:20 pm:

Mike,

Very nice. How about a few photos of that "old coupe(let) beside the project? :-)

Happy New Year,

Rob (I'm in a good mood, Nebraska just beat Clemson in the Gator Bowl, I'm trying to think of a way to start a thread about that)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:36 pm:

Looks similar to my first T.
It's the first picture on this page: http://www.gen3antiqueauto.com/Aboutus_cars.htm

I like yours better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:36 pm:

How about a picture of the original 1902 car. It sounds like you have an interesting project. I was asked at one time to have a wedding party carried in my model TT hucksters truck. Your project is a lot more classier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

Mike

That is beautiful! Really like the brass plated column and the Mercedes Star on the radiator winged cap!

What a nice job.....are you adding a top too? Or just open car without windshield?

Looks wonderful.

I saw a wedding stretch 'limo' late Model T's for sale at Hershey a couple of years back, it was a touring with longer space in the middle for the bride, here are pics.

Two rear seats, one front and one rear facing.

Some what neat, but yours in brass will really be a choice way to ride away from the church!

Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

I'm appalled that some withold pictures like that because they are affraid others will be appalled. That is appalling.
I see nothing wrong with special built cars or 'purpose cars'. Maybe the long hood is a bit much but so what.
It's a period car and it is mostly model T and period parts.
I'm wondering what has been/was done to help the cooling since the radiator and fan are a foot from each other. I'd make a foot long shroud or space the fan forward 4 inches and make a 7" shroud.
Let's see some more pictures when it is finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:07 pm:

Very nice Mike. You've been a busy boy. Cleaned the shop too,I see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By noraa on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:08 pm:

Hey, I've seen pictures and read about Fords like that. That's a rare 6 cylinder model K that was not a very good car. They were built for rich people to buy and very few exist today.
They ran off wooden batteries & had 3 pedals. One for low, one for second and one for high.
They had cruise control on one side and a spark arrestor on the other side of the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:12 pm:

Noraa, You don't happen to have an ebay store do you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:13 pm:

Looks good.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:18 pm:

Beautiful craftsmanship, Mike. Truly coach built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:27 pm:

Mike: Nice work! Now to keep us "Purists" happy, how about some pics of the Couplet we saw in the pic? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:10 pm:

Knowing they can make longer hoods is good info.I will pass that along to my friend that has the double engined,boatail speedster.Of course if I had enough sense to make 2 T engines run together I wouldnt want to hide it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:36 pm:

Mack

Rootlieb is the source for new antique sheetmetal, a friend in town restored a 1913 White, and he got Rootlieb to make new fenders front and rear, and running boards with special humps from the rusty patterns he sent to them.

I too had Rootlieb do a special T hood for a speedster project, had the louvers cut at a 'slant' for that racy look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:06 am:

Thank you all for your interest. I posted a pic of the '02 Mercedes picture when I got the job to build this, back in April of '08. the thread was titled "Happy Birthday to Me". (I got the job on my birthday.) I just tried to find it in a search, but apparently the forum from March to July of '08 is not available. My computer crashed a few months ago, and I lost all the pics I had stored on it. I can take another pic of the original pic and post it tomorrow.

Since the car will be used mostly at low speeds, we'll be using an electric fan. I'm having a sheet metal shop make a shroud to funnel the air thru all of the radiator. The owner took several pieces to a plating shop in Memphis and had them brass plated. He found the handbrake lever parts in junk shops. They are from agricultural implements, such as mowers and rakes, but look like the ones in pics of older "big" cars. I just had to figure out how to make them work with the Model T cross-shaft. There will be no windshield on the car, and no doors. There will be a buggy-type top over just the back seat. Sorry I don't have the original pic to show you now, but I will get another one tomorrow.

As for the Coupelet, it is patiently waiting its turn and is next in line. (I can't wait!) There's not much of interest to show just now, but I will post pics in the next year or two as that restoration progresses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:25 am:

Mike,
Hmm, I usually a pretty much "purist" kinda guy (so why am I reading this thread?? sorta like touching something marked "Wet Paint" ain't it?) Looks like a really nice ride you're building! The brides will appreciate the lowered body/frame. You'll have to post pics when you get it finished. Hmm, cherry running boards. You gonna frame them with brass edging?
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 03:56 am:

Mike-
Kinda like this?
http://flickr.com/photos/39839593@N00/88645815

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend, Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 04:03 am:

Opps try this:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/32/8864581 5_60a34f660c.jpg%3Fv%3D1176599687&imgrefurl=http://flickr.com/photos/39839593%40 N00/88645815&usg=__DENnL7YvzmIOqa-EQ-TqrM6sW4A=&h=330&w=500&sz=126&hl=en&start=2 &um=1&tbnid=ldp37sHxed9bCM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1902%2Bmercedes% 2Bbenz%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:11 am:

Mike,

Going to be a gorgeous car!!

Now I have to share....don't know if it is these new digital progressive glasses, or a Freudian slip...but when I first read the Topic title...I thought is said 'Pundits' :-):-):-) [Couldn't resist sharing that]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

OK, here's my "blueprint" for the car. It's a 1902 Mercedes, but it's not the Simplex model with the swoopy fenders and rear doors. I'll be using Model T '14 front and '15 rear fenders for a more conventional look. We'll probably search in Amish country for a buggy top maker. Anybody have any spare Coupelet/Town Car landau irons lying around?

blueprint

David D. -- Yes, the running boards will have brass edging, probably just on the outside edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Whoi on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:34 pm:

I know you're not going to be going very fast, but something to think about, and expect......The bride is not going to realize what is about to happen to her perfect hair when that open car starts rolling... be prepared to CRAWL>>>>>

Also, I'm jealous... great job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:51 pm:

I bought the remnants of a leather buggy top on tbay a few years back, and later sold it. Search for buggy top in full tbay, not just motors.

Amazing finds:

"Brand new Doctors Buggy with top and hydraulic brakes
BRAND NEW - NEVER BEEN HOOKED TO A HORSE"

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 01:59 pm:

Mike, that's beautiful work. If everybody worried about possibly offending somebody else before they undertook a project, we would still be living in caves. You can't please everybody! Excellent effort, and more power to you. You're keeping with the true spirit of Model Tee-ing: FUN!
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 02:48 pm:

Mike -
You're going to LOVE Ernie Romero's work and it will complement your horseless carriage beautifully. That's going to be a spectacular car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 02:54 pm:

Mike, it's a blast to build a car on someone else's money ain't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By johnd on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 04:06 pm:

Mike check with the Amish for the buggy top parts you need, I sold a set of those type brackets in Chickasha last March, came off an old buggy top, a fellow from France needed them for his top overthere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Pullin on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 05:55 pm:

Great work Mike,
Big fan of the radiator cap - where did you get it?
Looking good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry W. Fowler on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:48 pm:

Mike: Very nice!! Your workmanship appears top notch. Thanks for the pictures.

Barry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

Amish buggy seat and top on our "made up" 22 roadster pick up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:07 pm:

"Check with the Amish" is pretty vague.

Try this:

Witmer Coach Shop
1070 West Main
New Holland, PA 17557
(717)656-3411

Witmer has an extensive catalog of carriage/buggy parts.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:51 pm:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Eric, I'll give Witmer's a call.

Glenn -- The radiator ornament is a stock Mercedes part which the owner had brass plated. He installed it onto the brass motometer wings from Lang's. The star is spring-loaded, like a "real" Mercedes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 03:05 am:

Mike, looking good. A thought for an upgrade. A few years ago we stopped by a gent who lives 15 miles east of here who collects JD tractors and old buggy's. One thing I found to be very "cool" was the tops on many of his buggy's had a headliner! very nice and finished look. I hope to someday finnish a top this way. I'll look and see if I have a picture to post, right now can't remember if i took one of the underside of a top. Jerry

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration