T transportation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: T transportation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 08:36 pm:

Need recomendations on who to call to move a non show car running tudor from MA to TN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rdupree on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:39 am:

Something to keep in mind...Is the top in GOOD shape? A sedan top on an open trailer can take a bit of a beating on a long ride. We bought a 1925 Tudor in South Dakota and could see that the top looked 'weak' around the edges. Bought a tarp and tied it down solid all the way around. If we had lost the top, I am pretty sure we would have lost the headliner as well. In addition, towing at high speeds can be pretty hard on the visor. My preference is to tow our sedan in the enclosed trailer.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:32 am:

Ron is right about tying down a tarp securely. I'd have a bungee at every grommet. If any of the tarp is loose, the wind will whip it to shreds. Voice of experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

A few years ago when I was looking for a T, I called a fellow in northern Iowa about one he had advertised in the Sunday paper. A two-door, as I remember. He proceeded to tell me how it was in very good condition and the only thing wrong with it was the top had been ripped off. This was an elderly gent, an old farmer, who lived out in the county. He said it had sat for some time so he had fired it up the other day and took it for a drive to a nearby town on a little shakedown cruise. By the time he'd got to town It began bucking and jumping so he drove over to the local John Deere dealer, which he was friends with, and left it for them to repair. He said they were even nice enough to deliver it a few days later unexpectedly on their big equipment hauling truck, with the top material shredded, flapping like a flag behind it. As he continued on with his story, I began to envision some strapping young lad threading huge equipment log chains through the spokes, cinching them down with with massive load-binders with 3 foot cheater pipes. I'm ad-libbing on the last part and I have no idea how fast he was going but I do know there's some funny wind currents coming over the roof of a tow vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:35 pm:

Even though tarps are tied down securely, at highway speeds the wind can cause the tarp to flap around. That movement of the tarp can wear on the paint and virtually destroy a good paint job. Also, a T on an open trailer can "bounce", and the floorboards can bounce out, as can the seat cushions in an open car or anything else that's loose.

When I had an open trailer, I would haul my T Fordor sedan backwards on the trailer to avoid wind damage to the visor.

Fordially, Keith Gumbinger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dizer on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:47 pm:

Tow it backwards, tarp it well with one of the heavier or thicker mil tarps-usually the silver type and use one or more of the "spiderweb" type bungee nets with all the hooks around the sides that will cover the whole tarp with bungee's and it won't flap. There are never enough grommets in a tarp to hold it tight at highway speeds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:00 pm:

I believe that Jim asked WHO to CALL rather than HOW to HAUL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

I have used "Passport Transport" three times in the past with great results in their enclosed trailers but have not used them since they were bought out by Fed-Ex......Michael Pawelek
http://passport.fedex.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:16 pm:

Sorry Jim, sometimes threads tend to weave, I have no idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:22 pm:

Bill, does towing it backwards throw an aweful lot of weight to the rear of the trailer, possible causing it to want to fish tail ?????
I am interested in this idea though , l have to tow my 26 Tudor home in a few days ( finally here from Michigan ) and had not thought about the visor or top at all.
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

sorry Jim for side question , l know this doesn't answer you original question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

The answer seems to be to use a closed trailer, or a U Haul truck. Arrangements can be made to use the truck for a one way trip dropping it off at your destination. You might need to find a loading ramp to load the car. You will need to measure the height of the car and get a trailer or truck with enough clearance.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:52 pm:

I towed like this a good deal this year. I HAD to put the car on backwards, with it on frontwards I had over 1,000 pounds on the tongue and I was worried I'd snap the hitch off the motorhome. Backwards I had about 200 pounds on the tongue. This trailer has a full set of springs under it, four wheel brakes. I had some light stuff sitting on the seat all the way to Indiana and it never moved. The floorboards stayed put too. It's funny because on the way home I had sold a bunch of stuff and was light. I stopped at a rest stop and met some other T guys that went a different way home the day before. One of them said my trailer looked light in the nose sitting there. I grabbed the front to prove him wrong and picked it right up about a foot! I had zero pounds on the hitch, and had towed it about 500 miles without knowing it. I guess I was lucky because it should have "wagged" all over the road like that. Moving the car forward a few inches solved the problem.

My past experience with tarps tell me to leave them stowed until I stop for the night. They will beat the snot out of the car. On one move the tarp just tore itself to shreds on what it was supposed to be protecting. I had to stop on the highway in the pouring rain to remove what was left of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dizer on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:55 pm:

It would depend a lot on the trailer and where the axles are placed in relation to the front or rear of the trailer. Most modern car trailers with double axles are about 16 feet long and leave enough room to place the car where it is reasonably well balanced. I backed my 25 coupe on to a 16 foot trailer with the front wheels just to the rear of the rear axle and it seemed to balance well and towed well. I was using a Chevy short bed 4x4 1/2 ton pick up as a tow vehicle, and towed it from Dayton OH to west central IN. I'm sorry this isn't in the first theme of this post! I didn't mean to hijack it!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration