Another steering gear question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Another steering gear question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 09:36 pm:

Hey guys,
I'm still working on my '27 coupe steering gear and cannot determine what year/type of steering gear I have.

According to the '27 parts lists...the tubing is all the same for the latter years. But the actual steering shaft (post) is different as well as the steering ratio (5 to 1 in 26/27). The shaft# in the parts list is 3516E for the 26-27's.

I have two questions: How do I determine the ratio by counting the teeth in the housing? And how do I know if I have a 3516E shaft or not? Why would the shaft be different....if they only changed the gear ratio? I know that's 3 question!

Thank a million, again.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

John

It's in your Ford Service Manual, if you don't have one yet, get it! Santa should have dropped it in your stocking!

The steering shaft is unique for the 5:1 gear case on the Improved Car or the late '25's with the balloon tires. The shaft is different because the 5:1 planetary gears are smaller, and the pinions that stick out of the shaft have their centers smaller in the later shaft.

Be very carefully not to interchange 4:1 gears and 5:1 gears, or the center pinion gear, or the steering shafts.....trouble if you do. The only later part from about '22 to '27 that interchanges is the big round steering gear case with its circular gear teeth, even the covers are different, the later 5:1 steering gear case cover has a full knurl around the edge of that screw on cap, the early 4:1 cover is only partial knurl, about 1/3 of the edge on the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

The old style 4 to 1 is detemmined by counting the teeth of the center gear (the one attached to the post on which the steering wheel is mounted) It would have 12 teeth and each of the 3 planetary gears has 12 teeth. In the new style 5 to 1 the center gear has 9 teeth and the 3 planetary gears have 13 teeth. The shaft is different, because of the spacing of the 3 pins on which the planetary gears revolve. The outer housing is different, in that the mounting plate to the firewall is square. It is also on a different angle to the column than the earlier column. The bracket that mounts to the frame is also on a different angle to make the column mount lower at the dash board. The shaft and gears are a matched set and can be used in the earlier column, but the bracket and the outer column must be used with a 26-27 T. The outer gear box is the same number (36 teeth).
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marine1 on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 11:35 pm:

Thanks, Dan and Norman......It looks like I have a pre-26/27 all the way around. So I'm looking for the complete steering setup for a '27.

Happy 2009!

John

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration