Welting used between fender and running boards for sound deadening

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Welting used between fender and running boards for sound deadening
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim y on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:01 pm:

I am trying to find the "welting" with the beading that goes between fenders and running boards. When I disassembled my 1927 coupe there was a "plastic' or "rubber" welting that ran the length of the running board and fender joint to, I assume, further deaden "metal to metal" rattling. The beading is visable above the joint. Does it come in a roll that would be cut down to the proper length? Any ideas who might have this? I've tried Langs and Macs but they dont recognize the item...at least as I am describing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas J. Miller "Tom" on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:55 pm:

Look in Snyder's catalog for fender welt. It's on the Model A side. There are two kinds, the fuel tank welt is a smaller bead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim y on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:37 am:

Thanks Tom...Didn't look past the "T" section in Snyders catalog. The welting on the gas tank I'm
not familiar with. My tank sits underneath the cowl. Is there some welting that I should install somewhere on the tank? If so where?
I understand there is a pad the covers the tank top for rattling. Is that available from Snyders too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:57 am:

Try Mac's catalog 08-09, page 60 Item B5000 or B5000AS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

Jim
Tom is talking about the size of the welting that is used around the Model A gas tank. The Model A fenders used a little larger welting.You would have to see what size welting worked best for your fenders. 1926-27 Model T's did not use welting for the fenders or running boards. Leon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim y on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

Thanks Leon,Don, and Tom. Like I said..when I
disassembled my '27 coupe it had welting so I assumed it was original. It was pretty old and
brittle. But sounds like it was an
"aftermarket" add-on by one of its previous owners, since,as Leon said, it wasn't used originally anyway.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration