1911 & 1912 Torpedo Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 1911 & 1912 Torpedo Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:34 am:

Hi there,

Could anyone with torpedo photos please post them? I am trying to work out the different variations in doors offered and the way the back seat is finished (Where it meets onto the deck infront of the petrol tank.

Thanks in advance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:56 am:

This is the best I can do on short notice. I found it last night on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=1402 92028740

It's really just a teaser with that tree there.

I have some others but have to learn the scan thing.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:48 am:

Alex,

Attached is a video link showing a reporter riding in a Torpedo. As the video shows, Model T's are obvious "chick magnets".

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://s4.mcstatic.com/thumb/987403/5632268/4/directors_cut/0/1/ford_1911_model_t.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/987274/1930_model_a_ford_pu/&usg=__5y-6ccxjkKqjCF7wM1ZjlEdkFNI=&h=81&w=136&sz=4&hl=en&start=23&tbnid=XMqDPKZMCmRy3M:&tbnh=55&tbnw=92&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1911%2Bford%2Bmodel%2Bt%2Btorpedo%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Also attached are "commandeered" torpedo photos taken from a google of T Torpedo. I also threw in an open runabout, because that may give a better view of how the front of the seat looks (and open runabouts and torpedo's appear to be very simmilar, other than the cab).

Good luck,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:51 am:

See also Trent Boggess web site at: http://oz.plymouth.edu/~trentb/Torpedo/TorMay7Y2K.html
And http://oz.plymouth.edu/~trentb/ModelT/Torpedo2/TorJune16Y2K.html

Note as Trent points out in his web site there was some variation between body makers. So things could easily have been done more than one way. And in the case of a NZ car -- it would have had a Canadian body which may or may not have been the same as one of the USA produced bodies.

And just as the 1912 Ford tourings initially used the 1911 two piece firewall and had slightly different/lower dipped (removable) front doors and later the 1912 body used the single piece firewall and the doors were slightly different. The 1912 torpedo models also had two different door heights that appear to be tied to the change from the two piece firewall t the single piece firewall. See the illustrations in the 1911 and 1912 model year catalogs at: http://mtfca.com/books/bookmenu.htm

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Brown on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:02 am:

Thanks guys,

All questions answered

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

I would like to point out that the 1911 Torpedo/OR did NOT have a tool box behind the gas tank. Many people moved the tank forward and added that tool box just like many people tossed the turtle deck on later roadsters in favor of the wood pickup box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 09:01 pm:

Question,Is the bead on front fenders the same as on the rears on the torpedos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

Why is a Torpedo a Torpedo, not a Speedster?
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

The term "speedster" is a body style not made by Ford. You can make a Model T speedster, a Pierce Arrow speedster, even an American LaFrance speedster. You can make it any way you want. There are no right or wrong ways to build a speedster.

The term "Torpedo" is the name given by Ford to the 2 seat Model T body styles in some years.

Both terms mean fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:41 pm:

(.....and then, there's the "Runabout"!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

If this photo will help this 1911 belongs to a friend of mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:21 pm:

Mac,

That looks like an 11 open runabout (evidently the same as the Torpedo, except open cab, vs. doors) with a toolbox added (as John Regan mentioned above).

We now have one, and it "sits" completely different, due to more slanted steering column, lower seat, and more leg room (the seat sits further back than with a touring or roadster/runabout).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

When he did that car he had all new fenders and running boards and such made by Rootlieb.I have the chance to buy the original,fixable sheetmetal and gas tank at a fair price.Thought about getting the stuff and useing it on my speedster project,IF i can get this rusty 47 pontiac going good enough to take a break from it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:15 pm:

Some interior views of a '12 torpedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Griesenbeck on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 12:39 pm:

Alex I have an original body 1911 torpedo with doors. It is a Stynoski winner. I have It at home its is a Beaudett body serial # B7735 the serial numbers should be on the seat rizer and under both doors. If you have a September October 2005 issue of Model T times its on the cover with the story inside. I have thousands of hours of research in it. I would be glad to help you any way I can

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration