8.2 Million Dollar Bugatti? Non-T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: 8.2 Million Dollar Bugatti? Non-T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:14 am:

Sure wish my Grandfather had left something like this in his garage! :-)....Michael Pawelek
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090101/ts_afp/britainautoauctionoffbeat_0901011950 11

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:05 am:

I wonder haow many relitives will come out of the woodwork to get "their" share of the auction proceeds. Oh wait..my grandfather came from England. Uncle Harold Carr...yes I remember him now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:36 am:

This car was first owned by Earl Howe and if you read this link it says Earl Howe's T 57 was the first car up Prescott Hill Climb when it opened in 1938 - if this is the car that opened proceedings at Prescott, it makes the discovery even more exciting for Bugattistes. It would be nice to think it might remain unrestored, but I bet it gets the full works.

http://www.bugatti.co.uk/bugattiownersclub.aspx

I drove a T44 once - guess what, it had a wet multi-plate clutch and it wouldn't release when cold. Rather than jack the rear wheel up, the owner sat me at the wheel and told me to put it in first, hold down the clutch, press the starter and drive round in circles till it warmed up and released! Seemed like a recipe to wreck the starter, I wouldn't do it on a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:09 am:

I saw the bare chassis of an early 1930s Bug a few years ago. The generator was mounted back by the driveshaft, and there was a spare belt tied back.

I've seen worse engineering, I suppose.

Friends at the latest HME were driving their 1914 T, as their 1910 BigBucks was broken - again.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:15 am:

Let's see, how many early twenties T's would it take to buy the Bugatti? Hmmmm.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:50 am:

'Bout a thousand.

How many Bugattis could you buy with the $8.4 Trillion just given to the rich by the Federal Reserve? Yep, a million.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 04:22 pm:

Earl must be one of my long lost English cousins. Wonder if he had any Bugatti's laying around when he died or if he sold them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 04:40 pm:

Stan, Maybe you could throw your name into the "inheritance hat" and at least receive one of the 2k valve stem caps! :-)....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

Of all the people I can think of, Stan could be King Ralph...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:18 pm:

I have a friend that owns an unrestored Talbot Lago?
He has been very upset since an unrestored one very similar to his sold for 4,000,000.00 at pebble beach last year. He bought the car many years ago as a retirement project and now he is afraid to touch it, tell people about, or even mention that he has it. Now its going to stay under lock & key hidden away because he is scared someone is going to steal it.
I guess next time I get to the east coast he will be scared to show it to me (:
What does one do when his project car becomes sooo valuable that it no longer is fun? He could sell it but he does not need the $$$ (or want to pay taxes on the profits.) He just wishes that it was still worth not much more than his Model A or his Mustang..

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:01 am:

Anything he sells if for over the cost that he payed for it and less tax, is money in the bank! The longer it sits the worse it becomes and he would not have to wory about someone stealling it! That would sure be a load off my mind ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

I think it's a matter of luck that the car was in a stone castle. Stone castle's don't rot and collapse on old cars. I've seen many, many (much less grand cars) stored in barns,sheds, lean-to's, that have been destroyed by neglect. There's a "Hoarder" mentality that destroys rare and beautiful antiques. The more the better, even if left out in the rain and weeds. It's a shame. There was an early Ferrari a couple of years ago that a guy stored in his backyard for 50 years. What a mess. It still brought a couple million due to it's rarity. The surgeon with the Bugatti was a young man of 40 when he entombed his car in stone and blackness. He would never enjoy the beauty of this classic again. The rest of the world would have to wait another half century. A Type 57 was built to celebrate life, to be shown off, to be driven. Kind of applies to our Model T's!!!!

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration