Slow Speed Connection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2008: Slow Speed Connection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

How long is the slow speed connection supposed to be? Mine is 1.5'' inside the L. I would think it needs to be 2.0'' inside the L and 2-3/8'' outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:07 pm:

There is no set dimension. Adjust it as per the Ford Model T shop manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 11:27 am:

The part has to have a dimension in order for them to mass produce it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:03 pm:

Michael, 1.5" inside is correct.
Gordon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:18 pm:

thanks Gordon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

Michael, I'm confused. Is your link not adjustable? Royces answer was correct. The correct links are threaded, adjustable and meant to be adjusted to obtain the proper specs from the Ford Manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Bunner on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

Kenny and Royce. There are 6 pieces that make up the slow speed connection set.
1. slow speed connection.
2. slow speed connection clevis.
3. slow speed connection clevis pin.
4. slow speed connection nut.
5. And, 2 cotter pins.

My question was about the slow speed connection (L shaped threaded fastener (part # 3445)) I wanted to know it's original dimensions. I have yet to tighten my slow speed band and was wondering about the original size because I felt it may have been modified... but, after looking at it and getting input from Gordon I realize that it was the correct dimension. One problem; I have yet to adjust my slow speed band.

Someone also stated, off forum, that I could make a longer one, if I needed to, by purchasing a longer bolt and drilling a hole through the shank to get the proper dimension I needed...

The adjustment you speak of is straight forward but is not a dimension for the part I speak of... but, THANK YOU for your time and help!

Respectfully,
Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:06 am:

Michael,

I have had to make longer ones for two of my cars to achieve the right adjustment and still have a confident amount of threads remaining. I looked at one of the ones in my junk box that I replaced with a home made longer one and it is approximately 1.5".

The holes get elongated, pedals get bent, who knows what else could be a variable. You just have to make it work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 01:07 pm:

I've run into the same thing. I've had something like only one thread remaining after I got the proper adjustment. I bought a repro. It just happened to be a little longer, so I was able to use it.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration